Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.40.2.1 now available in UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to say I have had no problem at all with the automatic wipers on my car and am not sure what the fuss it about. I’ve never needed to manually override in order to clear the screen. Maybe there is a special type of rain where i live ?
There must be. They are awful. They don't respond fast enough so you spend long periods with severely restricted visibility between wipes. At night it is particularly bad since the light of oncoming cars refracts off the water. Also bad when overtaking and spray hits the windscreen and the wipers ignore it so you are blind mid overtake.
I have just Rain-x'ed my windscreen and that is really helping but it should not really be necessary.
It would not be so bad if manual adjustment could be done via a stalk, like we all used to do in the olden days before automatic wipers, but constantly changing the speed manually on the touch screen is not very easy or practical.

Reactions: pow216 and drewpost
A short term solution - you could try to jerry-rig it to stay awake by, for example, changing the sleep settings in Teslafi. I don't know a way to make it do that only at home but there might be one. I imagine other apps could also be set so that they don't give it a chance to nod off. Then you'd have more vampire drain but not to the extent of sentry drain.

The easiest bodge is to set a scheduled charge start time, and ensure that's close to the time that the charge point is going to start advertising that power is available. Doing that should then wake the car up enough to accept a charge when the charge point starts advertising, and if the charge point then calls for charge termination the charge the car should just shut down gracefully and go back to sleep after a time.

The oddball thing is that the manual says this:

If a power outage occurs, charging resumes automatically when power is restored.

which implies that charging should automatically restart some time (undefined) after a power outage. That also suggests that the car should resume charging after a simulated power outage. It is perfectly possible to simulate a power outage at the charge point, such that charging starts for a short time (say a few minutes) after the car is plugged in, then stops and waits until the charge point set time is reached before turning on again. May be that's what's needed to make the car wake up, or may be the manual is just wrong...

I just got my car last Thursday (5th) still on v9 - changed the setting to advanced, car on wifi etc. How long should it take to start getting updates?
I was on 2019,27 for over 2 weeks after getting my car last month. In the end I got fed up and scheduled a service appointment, at the suggestion of someone on the forum, which I had no intention of attending. 2 hours later, as hoped, I got a txt asking if I had good wifi. I replied yes and within another hour I had an update to version 10 waiting to install. I am still only on 2019.32 but at least I am now on 10 so it's a start.
give it a try.
Not suggesting everyone should do this for every update but I thought I had fallen a bit too far behind and maybe it needed a kick or it would never update. The fact that they did something suggests maybe I was right. who knows. Having said that If I have to wait too much longer for the wiper upgrade I might be tempted to try it again. I spend a lot of time in Wales so good wipers are pretty much a must have. I don't really care about anything else in the pipeline tbh.

The easiest bodge is to set a scheduled charge start time, and ensure that's close to the time that the charge point is going to start advertising that power is available. Doing that should then wake the car up enough to accept a charge when the charge point starts advertising, and if the charge point then calls for charge termination the charge the car should just shut down gracefully and go back to sleep after a time.

I assume that after a scheduled start time set in the car, the car then is just in its "as normal" state, i.e. it charges if plugged in and there's current available, but if not it'll go to sleep after a time? If so then if you don't get enough from PV (I assume you're talking about PV? I haven't necessarily read your own context on this but my interest is PV and probably Zappi, neither yet installed) for the charge point to fire up during only the fairly short period required for the car to fall asleep again you'll be back to square one, right?

Anyway, I watch with interest as I expect I'll have the same problem if it's not fixed in a few months.

I assume that after a scheduled start time set in the car, the car then is just in its "as normal" state, i.e. it charges if plugged in and there's current available, but if not it'll go to sleep after a time? If so then if you don't get enough from PV (I assume you're talking about PV? I haven't necessarily read your own context on this but my interest is PV and probably Zappi, neither yet installed) for the charge point to fire up during only the fairly short period required for the car to fall asleep again you'll be back to square one, right?

Anyway, I watch with interest as I expect I'll have the same problem if it's not fixed in a few months.

Right now my focus is just on getting scheduled charging to work, such that the charge point decides when to charge the car and when to stop charging, rather than the car. The problem with the car is that you can either set a start time, or a finish time (the departure time) but you cannot set both a start time and a finish time together. The BMW i3 had exactly the same problem with its onboard timing, which is why I built in off-peak switching to the charge point. That worked fine with the i3, as it seems to always respond to a charge power available advertisement from the charge point.

Come the Spring, then my focus will shift to getting variable rate and time charging working properly. Again this worked fine with the i3, but probably won't work with the M3 for the same reason that charge point scheduled timing won't work; the car won't wake up when charging availability is advertised through the charge port.

My hope is that if I can fix the scheduled charging problem, then the variable time/rate charging needed to best charge from excess PV generation will also be fixed. No idea if that's the case, but I suspect it may be, as the issue seems to centre around whether the car is awake or asleep.

• Disagree
Reactions: T.F.S.
I have to say I have had no problem at all with the automatic wipers on my car

I thought they were all likely to be very similar in their poor auto wiper function.

Maybe it a variant of the old PEBKAC bug on desktop computers in that it down to individual drivers perception of how bad the visibility needs to be before activating the wipers and reconciling that with an automated system with globally defined thresholds. PEB-SteeringWheel-AC maybe? :D;)

Sometimes the auto wipers work fine. But other times I've been driving through torrential rain at night and the wipers haven't so much as twitched without manual intervention.

This happens to me on a regular basis. What I’ve also noticed is that driving towards a low winter sun on a clear day (which is also blinding for the driver) sets the wipers working when there’s no rain at all. All this does is smear the gunk that is already on the windscreen.

I just got the nod about 2 minutes ago... it's installing now! (Nov 2019, Model S long-range)

Having used the car this afternoon, I can also confirm that the wipers are much improved, but I'm certain that my car has lost some regenerative braking! Normally it's a great single-pedal drive, but today, at higher speeds, I took my foot off the accelerator, and the car continued to roll along like an ICE vehicle would.

I checked, and my settings are still set to Standard regenerative braking, and to Hold at stop, but it drives very differently.

Annoyingly, this is the second software update that I've had in 3 days, and I didn't get to drive it between them - so it could have been the first update that did this, to 2019-38.2.4, but I don't know (and my partner who did drive the car, didn't notice/care).

Having used the car this afternoon, I can also confirm that the wipers are much improved, but I'm certain that my car has lost some regenerative braking! Normally it's a great single-pedal drive, but today, at higher speeds, I took my foot off the accelerator, and the car continued to roll along like an ICE vehicle would.

I checked, and my settings are still set to Standard regenerative braking, and to Hold at stop, but it drives very differently.

Annoyingly, this is the second software update that I've had in 3 days, and I didn't get to drive it between them - so it could have been the first update that did this, to 2019-38.2.4, but I don't know (and my partner who did drive the car, didn't notice/care).

You’re not alone. Less regen on 2019.40.2? And Less regen since 2019.36.2.1

It’s weird, right ? I did 50 miles in the rain this morning , mainly motorway and it was perfect.
I hate the auto wipers not because they don't function when it's properly raining but because they don't when it's light rain. I end up with a screen that I dare not drive through before they sweep unless it's actually raining hard.

And when it's very light and I don't need them to sweep, they do which usually results in smears and me having to clean the windscreen.

I just use the button on the stalk now unless it's heavy enough for constant.

Anyone will SR+ got it yet? Would be interesting to know if the 170kw charging has been added.
Yep and yep
1032BCDF-F1F8-4DD2-A4F4-8FFA7F05269C.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: Lachie