Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.40.2.1 now available in UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reluctantly took 40.2.1 as gave up being nagged to take the update even on standard mode - would like a no mode...

No rain to test deep rain, however, a few spots of something did end up on the screen (possibly someone using washers in queue) and I was just thinking to myself that I would probably clear it when the wipers wiped once. So fingers crossed...

NoA on M3 J5 exit no different. Lurch across the carriage way at the flare and AP disengaged because its lurch was countered by my grip. They need to get that sorted. Its probably top of my list of things that need fixing on NoA. Likewise, the merge still wanted to take me to the apex of the on ramp - which probably bemused the chap thinking of trying to undertake on my left who would have run out of road even earlier... I'm never sure whether to indicate when joining or not - NoA behaviour is never consistent enough to know, and every merge is normally followed by an indicate right to follow route or words to that effect.

Prior to that, lane changes seemed to be fine, maybe a bit more confident, but these things seem to vary from drive to drive so difficult to know. However, return trip was useless, with NoA totally failing to even initiate a lane change. User triggered, indicator flashed two or three times, then just stopped, with no indication that car was going to do anything. I tried several times and thinking that it was traffic, but even with hundreds of yards to the next car and perfect visibility, it was just totally unresponsive apart from the brief indicator flashing. So unless something obvious going on, thats regressed functionality. :rolleyes:

Has anyone else seen this since updating?
Yes, mine updated yesterday. We’ve been to see some friends in Birmingham today, so about 150 mile round trip.

I had the “Left Pillar Camera Blocked” message many times, mostly in the dark on dual carriageway.

Also the auto wipers for me are now too fixed - they seem to wipe far too often, making the screen dry and squeaky! Even with very light rain they were constantly wiping...

Isn't this just a more specific version of the rather unhelpful blindspot detection limited message?
It’s a message certainly about the same system, but I think it’s odd that this specific message about the left pillar camera should start occurring so frequently immediately after the update, when I’ve never seen it before.

On other occasions when I’ve had the more generic message I could see the reason, such as low sun shining on the side of the car. This new message was popping up every few miles even when driving along an unlit road at night.

I was getting the unspecific blindspot warning very frequently before the update, now I get the specific one equally frequently, and it's always been on the left. It is to some extent weather dependent but requires the kind of wetness one is unlikely to avoid on a November/December day in Britain, ie actual rain isn't necessarily required. It would appear to fix the problem if I clean the cameras (which have no visible dirt or moisture on them) but only momentarily. I've carried on doing this, only ever cleaning those on the left. Same effect. So I don't believe cleanliness is the issue since the right ones have never got dirty enough to exhibit the issue.

My view from this is I have a camera issue but if it also coincides with a bug it probably won't help that get diagnosed and fixed! Anyway, in for service for this tomorrow, booked way before 2019.40 for this very issue. We'll see what happens....

Reactions: Roy W.
Updated to 40.2.1 on Friday, ever since I’ve been getting an intermittent error stating left hand door pillar camera blocked, it only flashes up for a few seconds and has no impact on AP, but irritating none the less!

I’m apparently not alone:

Right Pillar Camera Blocked or Blinded

Has anyone else seen this since updating?

#MeToo

Only picked it up on Friday so it's good to know it's not specific to my car.

No, the A38 dual carriageway between Lichfield and Derby! It’s a road I’ve driven many times before with no camera warnings, until yesterday.
Same here, same warning, same road but heading the other way on route to Wolves. The warning was much less frequent but still there on the way back. I think it may have been condensation outbound as it diminished after around 45 minutes. Then heavy rain on the way back may have influenced it. Anyway not good and it did knock off our AP. Just on AP I also felt that it was trying to drive closer to the kerb, uncomfortably so at times. I quit it after a few attempts.

Wipers - better but still not great. In the dark it seems to struggle more and I was intervening quite regularly. Work to do!

I was getting the unspecific blindspot warning very frequently before the update, now I get the specific one equally frequently, and it's always been on the left. It is to some extent weather dependent but requires the kind of wetness one is unlikely to avoid on a November/December day in Britain, ie actual rain isn't necessarily required. It would appear to fix the problem if I clean the cameras (which have no visible dirt or moisture on them) but only momentarily. I've carried on doing this, only ever cleaning those on the left. Same effect. So I don't believe cleanliness is the issue since the right ones have never got dirty enough to exhibit the issue.

My view from this is I have a camera issue but if it also coincides with a bug it probably won't help that get diagnosed and fixed! Anyway, in for service for this tomorrow, booked way before 2019.40 for this very issue. We'll see what happens....

Just to update my own situation, I did indeed have a faulty camera. Now replaced. Not driven either in the wet or over about 60mph since, because only been on Bucks/Northants M1, so not really tested it, but I haven't seen a warning yet either. Time will tell.

From what they said I'm not sure the camera was working at all. If that's the case then it's interesting that leftwards lane changes were ever available, even if infrequently. Perhaps there's enough overlap to enable the functionality to work with a camera out, but only in ideal conditions.

Very big improvement in the auto wiper function, although I've not yet had a chance to see whether performance in very light spray/mist has been improved. Great to get into the car and immediately have the wipers come on because the screen is wet - should have done this from new, mind.

• Disagree
Reactions: T.F.S.