Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.40.2.2 in the UK on AP1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unusually, I have received an email from Tesla telling me about the next update (40.2.2).

Leaving aside the comments about steering restrictions ...

It states that the "inattentive" period for AP is going to be reduced to FIFTEEN SECONDS !!!

I don't do a lot of motorway driving, but when I do I adopt a "one relaxed hand" approach which allows me to feel what AP is doing whilst keeping my entire focus on the road well ahead - "managing" the "big picture" of what is going on. My "soft" hand isn't continuously detected - so every five minutes or so I get an alert and have to wiggle the wheel.

I little bit annoying, but I can live with it and have found that long drives are less tiring than with old-fashioned driving.

Under this new regime the car is going to fail to detect me in most 15s intervals - perhaps almost all. So I am going to receive a distracting alert four times a minute ! I will be wiggling the wheel every quarter-mile !

I can hardly imagine how tiring/annoying this is going to be .. and it doesn't sound particularly safe.

Can anyone confirm my understanding ?

For the first time ever I am seriously considering NOT installing this software update. My car works just fine as it is !

I have held off upgrading to 2019.40.2.1 due to so many issues being reported and this update immediately fills me with dread.

As you say, you can cope with the level of nag currently, but every 15 seconds would render this useless to me, as it would be way to distracting and likely tire you even more than just driving. Really need to come up with another alertness system if this is the resolution to whatever issues has driven this change

Completely agree... Although I don't use AP a lot, when I am using AP1 I also keep one hand on the wheel applying a little twist. And this often, but not always fails to register leading to the occasional beep.

Having a reset to 15 second nag intervals is worse than nothing !

Will definitely not be installing the next update.... although it would be good to be able to permanently refuse the install. Install nags are unfortunately also a thing....

I would be furious if I had paid for FSD only have what little assistance was available reduced.

I thought it was 15 seconds already? If I take my hands off the wheel in my SR+ it prompts for the wheel to be moved slightly after 15 seconds...

Honestly I wish I could just not have my hands on the wheel at all. I know it's not as safe or whatever, but I don't feel like the car is actually driving itself unless i'm not touching the wheel at all.

This is effectively doing to AP1 cars what 2019.16.x did to AP2x/3 cars.

Hopefully you get back some benefits and more when the current UN/ECE 79 restrictions are relaxed hopefully by mid next year. We got delivered with 2016.15 but updated same day so didn't really experience the loss of anything, but I think for those that did, the shock of 2019.16 soon wore off as a few tweaks were made.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cowpring
I'm not entirely sure, but I think our AP1 will go for 45 seconds when driving 'alone' and over a minute if following another car.

Sounds as if AP1 is still better than AP2 (+) even 3 years after being replaced....

I'm not entirely sure, but I think our AP1 will go for 45 seconds when driving 'alone' and over a minute if following another car.

I think it may be distance-related.

I haven't measured, but I would say almost a minute at 70mph, maybe more like 90 secs when in a 50mph restriction.

As said above, if interruptions arise every 15 secs it would actually be less tiring to drive just "manually". Any benefit from not having to exercise "lane-keeping" control would surely be outweighed by the four-times-a-minute need to anti-nag wiggle.

Unusually, I have received an email from Tesla telling me about the next update (40.2.2).

Leaving aside the comments about steering restrictions ...

It states that the "inattentive" period for AP is going to be reduced to FIFTEEN SECONDS !!!

I don't do a lot of motorway driving, but when I do I adopt a "one relaxed hand" approach which allows me to feel what AP is doing whilst keeping my entire focus on the road well ahead - "managing" the "big picture" of what is going on. My "soft" hand isn't continuously detected - so every five minutes or so I get an alert and have to wiggle the wheel.

I little bit annoying, but I can live with it and have found that long drives are less tiring than with old-fashioned driving.

Under this new regime the car is going to fail to detect me in most 15s intervals - perhaps almost all. So I am going to receive a distracting alert four times a minute ! I will be wiggling the wheel every quarter-mile !

I can hardly imagine how tiring/annoying this is going to be .. and it doesn't sound particularly safe.

Can anyone confirm my understanding ?

For the first time ever I am seriously considering NOT installing this software update. My car works just fine as it is !

You can thank the EU regulators for the new rules. Tesla had to make restrictive changes to appease them

Sounds as if AP1 is still better than AP2 (+) even 3 years after being replaced....

Trust me its not, 18 months ago maybe, but not now. Our AP2.0 car can navigate pretty busy city roads with little input, it can cross a busy cross road and if there is a car oncoming to turn right it'll actively pilot a safe path avoiding the car, if there is no car it'll keep striaght, phantom braking is something I've not felt for a long time, it will move away from lorries to lane hug, and the other day the 'passive lane assit' turned on to steer me away from a kerb after I got distracted by my daughter asking me question.

The 15 second nag is just that, a nag, I can see why Tesla have been forced to do it. Without on AP2+ cars you can be fooled into thinking it'll just 'drive' even on city roads, where as with the nag it at least forces you to be ready to take over.

The latest HW3.0 codes for cone visualisation, traffic light alerts is the next step.

Trust me its not, 18 months ago maybe, but not now. Our AP2.0 car can navigate pretty busy city roads with little input, it can cross a busy cross road and if there is a car oncoming to turn right it'll actively pilot a safe path avoiding the car, if there is no car it'll keep striaght, phantom braking is something I've not felt for a long time, it will move away from lorries to lane hug, and the other day the 'passive lane assit' turned on to steer me away from a kerb after I got distracted by my daughter asking me question.

The 15 second nag is just that, a nag, I can see why Tesla have been forced to do it. Without on AP2+ cars you can be fooled into thinking it'll just 'drive' even on city roads, where as with the nag it at least forces you to be ready to take over.

The latest HW3.0 codes for cone visualisation, traffic light alerts is the next step.

I bow to your more recent knowledge.... but a year or so ago when we got a loaner with AP2 it was horrible by comparison to AP1 and only lasted for about a mile of ping ponging before we switched it off.

However to be honest, I have been frightened whit-less too often to let AP try to drive under anything but perfect conditions.

If you don’t want to be nagged put a wrist weight on the wheel, I don’t for suburban driving but absolutely do for motorway driving where ap is excellent. YOU of course are still in charge but your workload is reduced and you have far more capacity to monitor what’s happening around you.