Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.40.2.2 Is set on crippling AP and autosteer !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this does apply AT LEAST to European cars:

-15sec hands-on NAGGING
-Lots of restrictions regarding lane change.
-reduced steering rate. (cannot steer "that far"/follow tight curve)

I do see that Tesla is set to destroy all AP for everybody ASAP to follow "regulations", I miss control over the software.

You do realize that the regulators could force a Tesla stop-sale if they want to? They could ban Tesla from selling cars. Tesla has no choice , they must comply.

We have dumb laws in the USA too and Tesla tries to fight them when they can. Tesla stores are banned in many states, and remember that our states are the size of entire countries in Europe.

Note that this update and nerfing is “just” for AP1. AP2+ has been like this for quite a while in Europe.
While it sounds bad with these changes, AP2 still works amazingly well in Europe.

Speak for yourself, please. AP and FSD in new Tesla’s is crippled in Europe, my opinion. Sales numbers will go down because of it. After January. Personally I advice no one to buy Tesla. It just does not live up to the promise.

Speak for yourself, please. AP and FSD in new Tesla’s is crippled in Europe, my opinion. Sales numbers will go down because of it. After January. Personally I advice no one to buy Tesla. It just does not live up to the promise.
They try to mais full autopilot like US but they need to comply with actual l'ai if not they have to desactivate all autopilot on old cars normally in Spring next year the autopilot are reactivate with 20 sec max lane change and possible auto l'âne change with no confirmation.

You do realize that the regulators could force a Tesla stop-sale if they want to? They could ban Tesla from selling cars. Tesla has no choice , they must comply.
Tesla could comply by making autopilot better and for example allow it to change lanes more safely within 5 seconds, instead of keeping the same functionality which is sometimes crappy even with an empty lane, and adding a time limit. I'm pretty sure that in half of the cases where the car doesn't change lanes, a human driver would with no danger at all. Tesla simply doesn't do it because it doesn't recognize some parameters (such as intention of driver in front of you on the next lane). I'd rather see Tesla fix that and then the restriction to 5 secs would make absolute sense.

Tesla could comply by making autopilot better and for example allow it to change lanes more safely within 5 seconds, instead of keeping the same functionality which is sometimes crappy even with an empty lane, and adding a time limit. I'm pretty sure that in half of the cases where the car doesn't change lanes, a human driver would with no danger at all. Tesla simply doesn't do it because it doesn't recognize some parameters (such as intention of driver in front of you on the next lane). I'd rather see Tesla fix that and then the restriction to 5 secs would make absolute sense.

The latest 2019.40.x software in the US market will change lanes on AP almost instantly when manually initiated (on a limited access big road/interstate or even on local streets). The NoA changes are more delayed, and that is probably intentional right now. I wouldn't be surprised if they cut the delay in future software releases. It's easier for drivers to not pay attention on NoA so they are probably collecting real world data first.

As far as people not buying Teslas because of crippled AP, well it may decrease the number of people who order FSD. Even basic AP and TACC are far ahead of what many competing cars offer today. A lot of other cars just have lane keeping warnings or similarly limited lane centering assist.

Reactions: Bilen
Note that this update and nerfing is “just” for AP1. AP2+ has been like this for quite a while in Europe.
While it sounds bad with these changes, AP2 still works amazingly well in Europe.

Can I just check please. I have a Raven Model S Performance built October 19 (I am in Europe). I have 40.2.1 and FSD. It does nag me re: hands on the wheel but it doesn't feel like every 15 seconds.

The annoying thing is that really you cannot just keep your hands on the wheel, you have to apply torque to it as well which means keeping your hand(s) low down on the wheel so that your weight pulls it one way. Which is not a safe driving position anyway as if you need to steer properly your hands should be high up (watch in car footage from any racing, you will not find drivers resting hands at 7:30 and 4:30, more like they are at 10:00 and 2:00 on the clock face).. So ironically their "safety" measure makes you less safe.

My question is, if I want to keep the car autopilot as-is do I now stop updating it or is my car already "Europe-knobbled" with 40.2.1 and therefore the updates won't make it worse?