TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2019.40.50.7 Strange bug: need card next to cup holder

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by DS369, Jan 2, 2020.

1. DS369

DS369 Member

My phone is registered with the car.
    Car lets me unlock it and get in, pressing break.
    I enter my pin code and click allow.
    All check lights come up and turn off.
    I press the right stock down and instead of D I get a message on screen to put the card in front of the cup holder and press break.

2. flyingowl

flyingowl Member

Hmm.. mine didn't do that and I got same version as you. Did you try to do hard reboot? If that doesn't work, try to program your phone again as a key.

3. linux-works

linux-works Active Member

try this: get out of the car, get it to auto-lock and all that, then walk up, have it unlock and immediately hit the brake like you are going to move it. does it ask for the card, then?

4. linux-works

linux-works Active Member

mine (for a few versions, now) has been asking for the card even though I use my BT phone. I think its because I got in the car, didn't start it (go forward or backward) and it 'timed out' its authentication. that's my hunch, at least.

5. eli_

eli_ Member

#5 eli_, Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    One way to troubleshoot is this... There's four different beacons on the car that the phone will "see" for it to unlock doors or allow drive mode, if you look at Bluetooth devices on iPhones at least, they show up in the devices list. There will be four Bluetooth devices with a bunch of random numbers and letters but the last letter is always one of these four...

D = Driver Door
    P = Passenger Door
    C = Console
    R = Rear/trunk

Those are the car's four beacons, if the phone sees the driver's door (D), but not the console (C), the doors may unlock but it won't think it's "inside the car" and enable driving. I've had times in the past where sometimes the phone will stop seeing one of these, like the driver door, and toggling Bluetooth on the phone fixes it. But I feel the reliability has been 100% for a long time, either due to fixes to iOS or Tesla's software. The reliability is just dependent on the phone you use unfortunately.

• Informative x 4
  6. DS369

DS369 Member

Thanks for suggestions, I will experiment to get a clearer picture.

7. Jefla

Jefla Member

I have been noticing I have to take out my phone and open the Tesla app when it prompts me to use the key card.

My android phone recently has an OS upgrade to Android 10 which changes some of the permissions apps can do. I am wondering if it is preventing the app from being active in background.

I need to experiment with it to see though.

I have come to the car and gone to the trunk to open it but it wont open, until I open the app and then the trunk opens.

I also see sentry mode picking me up as an event so that is a hint it is not detecting the phone.

8. brushless3

brushless3 Member

On my iphone I once had to turn off my bluetooth and back on to get it working again.

9. FielderJones

FielderJones Member

This always works for me if the car starts demanding the key card. Somehow the bluetooth connection has a glitch. Happens to me most often after a car software update or a phone software update.