Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.40.50.7 Strange bug: need card next to cup holder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My phone is registered with the car.
Car lets me unlock it and get in, pressing break.
I enter my pin code and click allow.
All check lights come up and turn off.
I press the right stock down and instead of D I get a message on screen to put the card in front of the cup holder and press break.

One way to troubleshoot is this... There's four different beacons on the car that the phone will "see" for it to unlock doors or allow drive mode, if you look at Bluetooth devices on iPhones at least, they show up in the devices list. There will be four Bluetooth devices with a bunch of random numbers and letters but the last letter is always one of these four...

D = Driver Door
P = Passenger Door
C = Console
R = Rear/trunk

Those are the car's four beacons, if the phone sees the driver's door (D), but not the console (C), the doors may unlock but it won't think it's "inside the car" and enable driving. I've had times in the past where sometimes the phone will stop seeing one of these, like the driver door, and toggling Bluetooth on the phone fixes it. But I feel the reliability has been 100% for a long time, either due to fixes to iOS or Tesla's software. The reliability is just dependent on the phone you use unfortunately.

Last edited:
I have been noticing I have to take out my phone and open the Tesla app when it prompts me to use the key card.

My android phone recently has an OS upgrade to Android 10 which changes some of the permissions apps can do. I am wondering if it is preventing the app from being active in background.

I need to experiment with it to see though.

I have come to the car and gone to the trunk to open it but it wont open, until I open the app and then the trunk opens.

I also see sentry mode picking me up as an event so that is a hint it is not detecting the phone.