Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.40.50 for AP and non FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, I have a 2019 M3 Perf with, I suppose, HW3.

I do not have FSD but have the next best thing which is AP.

I noticed that on the last update on the release notes I had nothing like traffic lights and while driving also no traffic lights.

Is it something only for FSD ? I though that even if I did not have FSD while driving myself I would see the render of these on the screen.

• Disagree
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
@MarkBrokeIt seems to be on some weird Disagree spree

Which version of the firmware do you currently have?

Traffic cone visualization appeared starting with previous versions (2019.36.something) and more (traffic lights, stop signs and more) started with 2019.40.50.x. Whether you have FSD makes zero impact on getting these visualizations.

"

Okay, come on now. Who do you think the map and the speedometer are intended for?

You took me too literally as we were talking about traffic lights and road signs showing up on the screen which I don't need. What I would like is my 3 to stop and go at lights, stop signs & give ways as well check for pedestrians at cross walks.
Auto pilot and voice navigating works great so does FSD which I now only have to check my 3 is going to take the correct off ramp. I'm not getting lazy as I have to pay more attention using FSD than driving myself. I treat FSD as a very expensive live video game.

You took me too literally as we were talking about traffic lights and road signs showing up on the screen which I don't need. What I would like is my 3 to stop and go at lights, stop signs & give ways as well check for pedestrians at cross walks......
.....and the step before this is the ability to identify (and display) the traffic lights, stop signs and crossings (plus trash cans:D). So in effect the neural net is learning about all these conditions to ready city AP. Also it is helping us humans to "believe" in AP since we can confirm that it is starting recognize important directions before it starts responding to them.

Reactions: Kevy Baby
.....and the step before this is the ability to identify (and display) the traffic lights, stop signs and crossings (plus trash cans:D). So in effect the neural net is learning about all these conditions to ready city AP. Also it is helping us humans to "believe" in AP since we can confirm that it is starting recognize important directions before it starts responding to them.

It also picks up basketball hoops. I see one on my display every time I head out my garage. :)

Very much this!

In reality, we don't need to see any of this on the display. It is all part of the evolution of the capabilities of the vehicle and building in a comfort level for the human driver to be able to trust the vehicle.

If it is available you have to enable it in the settings, it is not on by default for US cars.

well I did not find it in settings. On the release notes for 50.1 it’s not mentioned so that’s why I’m saying in Europe or at least in PORTUGAL it’s not available.

mim regards to later replies ... I don’t need to see the traffic lights on the screen to drive but it’s kind of cool and would like to see it :)

I am in the U.S., I have 2019.40.50.1 software release, and my car has EAP (not FSD) built in November 2018. I am not getting any visualizations of traffic lights or signs or cones. And the software release notes did not mention anything about these visualizations. On the other hand, one of the previous software updates added stop light/stop sign warnings when driving on autopilot.

Don't know if it's available for everyone (depending on country) but it's under Autopilot settings about 2" from the top as "Full Self Driving Visualization Preview". If you have it, ya gotta flip that switch to see it.
Interestingly, I did not have to flip the switch - they just started appearing for me.

Dan123 you also need to have Hardware V3. I believe your car was built some time before that.
While not definitive, do you think this is a good indicator that I have Hardware V3 since I DO have the visualization? I've always been curious but never enough to tear my dash apart.

Ok, that's possible. However, it is weird that it is able to see the lights and the stop signs (and warn me about them), but not display them on the screen.

If you have EAP you do not have HW3 (assuming Tesla hasn't physically swapped it in during a service visit) since Tesla stopped selling EAP prior to starting to install HW3 from the factory.

The fact it can warn you without displaying isn't surprising- it'll even adjust steering for things like barrels/cones despite not displaying them on HW2.5

HW 2.5 is about maxed out on cycles, so using extra power to display stuff it sees internally is a waste of already scarce resources that HW3 has plenty of.

Interestingly, I did not have to flip the switch - they just started appearing for me.

While not definitive, do you think this is a good indicator that I have Hardware V3 since I DO have the visualization? I've always been curious but never enough to tear my dash apart.

You 100% have HW3 if you see all the new visualizations.

Reactions: Kevy Baby