Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.40.50 for AP and non FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does one check to see which HW version one has on the car ?

I believe the traffic cone visualization is the easiest way (and unlike the new ones isn't US only?)- if you have those it's HW3.

Otherwise? (assuming it's a spring 2019 or newer car, otherwise it's 2.5 for sure) either get Tesla to tell you (good luck), or take a bit of dash apart and physically check the part # on the computer.

I believe the traffic cone visualization is the easiest way (and unlike the new ones isn't US only?)- if you have those it's HW3.

Otherwise? (assuming it's a spring 2019 or newer car, otherwise it's 2.5 for sure) either get Tesla to tell you (good luck), or take a bit of dash apart and physically check the part # on the computer.

You can also check the video recordings from the dash cam on the usb drive. If they are recorded in H.264 then it is HW 2.5. if you see the files encoded in H.265 format then HW3. As mentioned, now that we have driving visualizations just turn them on and see if they show up and you will know the answer. I think cars built around April 2019 and later have HW3.

You can also check the video recordings from the dash cam on the usb drive. If they are recorded in H.264 then it is HW 2.5. if you see the files encoded in H.265 format then HW3. As mentioned, now that we have driving visualizations just turn them on and see if they show up and you will know the answer. I think cars built around April 2019 and later have HW3.

Nope.

The codec thing stopped being true months ago- they both use the same codec now.

FWIW, I have the visualizations on my car and it is nothing to get that all excited about. I have garbage cans and traffic cones all over the display now. When you pull up to a traffic light or stop sign they show up but the novelty wears off in about 3 minutes. I realize it is still in Preview mode but the icons more work.

I think the visualization would be much better if they could render the whole intersection rather that just displaying floating traffic lights and stop signs.

Last edited:
I received the car in mid October but I’m not sure when it was actually produced.

I do see the orange cones on screen ... and see a lot of them :) looks like a lot of stuff on the side of the road is a cone actually.

I received the car in mid October but I’m not sure when it was actually produced.

I do see the orange cones on screen ... and see a lot of them :) looks like a lot of stuff on the side of the road is a cone actually.

Soon we will have so much crap on the display we will need filters to block some of it from showing up. ;)

The visualizations are cool and all but the “real thing” is right outside the freakin’ window. o_O They also have to figure out how to display proper proportions. It displays a little cone regardless if it is a cone or a big orange barrel.

• Funny
Reactions: ZiPRA
FWIW, I have the visualizations on my car and it is nothing to get that all excited about. I have garbage cans and traffic cones all over the display now. When you pull up to a traffic light or stop sign they show up but the novelty wears off in about 3 minutes. I realize it is still in Preview mode but the icons more work.

I think the visualization would be much better if they could render the whole intersection rather that just displaying floating traffic lights and stop signs.
I agree with you that the visualizations are nothing to get excited about. For the driver - they serve ZERO practical function. My personal speculation is that they are there simply as a placebo so that the driver gets more comfortable about about the Tesla is seeing as another step towards Level 4 (and Level 5) autonomous driving.

I agree with you that the visualizations are nothing to get excited about.

I imagine the reason it was provided is to impress the public, and maybe to encourage sales of FSD. Elon did promise "feature complete" FSD by the end of 2019 after all... so there was pressure to provide something.

Obviously it's important that it understands signs and signals, but for FSD to work it has no reason to care if an object is a garbage can, cone, pedestrian or basketball hoop. I suspect that when it doesn't display a pedestrian, it still knows "something" is there, it just doesn't know what it is yet, so it would still avoid a collision with whatever it is. That's all that matters.

It's interesting that it has a harder time seeing pedestrians than other objects. I guess human bodies don't reflect sonic signals as well as steel.

I'm considering turning it off actually, and I'm glad I have that option.

I'm looking forward to the voice commands being improved (I find it works 50% of the time) and to a wider range of commands.

I agree with you that the visualizations are nothing to get excited about. For the driver - they serve ZERO practical function. My personal speculation is that they are there simply as a placebo so that the driver gets more comfortable about about the Tesla is seeing as another step towards Level 4 (and Level 5) autonomous driving.

I hear you. I am still not convinced my Model 3 will ever truly support "Full Self Driving" but it is entertaining to see the small improvements. IMO, I think folks were more excited about Netflix and maybe adding Disney+ than some of the FSD features. ;)

For me, FSD is not really useful if I have to expend so much energy babysitting it. It is just more relaxing to drive the car myself and this car is such a joy to drive so why let the computer have all the fun. :D