Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 5.15 Autopilot hesitating on freeways

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same here, noticed this a number of times. Had to accerlerate a number of times due to the car behind getting somewhat close when mine is breaking/slowing for no reason at all.

Edit: i’m On 2019.5.14 but still get the same issue

Last edited:
I had the same issues with 2019.4.2

I lived with it for a week, hoping I'd get an update. When no update happened, I call the SC and told them the issues and they pushed me an update. I was hoping for at least 2019.5.15, since that is now in wide release, but only received 2019.4.3.

Upon my first drive with 4.3, I had the same issues. After reboot the issues seem gone.

Only data point I have is hesitation in lane changes (back and forth, not able to commit, no car there to obstruct). Haven’t tested a lot so not much to say about acceleration issues.
What a distraction trying to lane change while going around a corner on the highway. It will go for the right lane then go right back to the lane I am in, center lane, then try again for the right lane. I just have to click it off. The system cannot figure it out, turn signal on too.

Reactions: boaterva
My wife hates our 3 now because of this. It scares the sugar out of her as a passenger. She has never used AP when driving herself, and I was just starting to trus it in the prior releases. Getting rear-ended in In So-Cal is very likely since we drive so tight on our freeways to avoid sniping.

The weird thing is that it doesn’t seem to affect TACC.

My wife hates our 3 now because of this. It scares the sugar out of her as a passenger. She has never used AP when driving herself, and I was just starting to trus it in the prior releases. Getting rear-ended in In So-Cal is very likely since we drive so tight on our freeways to avoid sniping.

The weird thing is that it doesn’t seem to affect TACC.
My wife hates it as well. When she is in the car I turn everything off.

I experienced a similar behavior today (2018.50.7). 2 lane highway and I was slowly passing a car that was on the right side lane. Then a car behind me was approaching so just as I was about to be ahead of the car on the right I put my signal on to switch lanes. You would think the car would wither a) continue to cruise at existing speed and then pass or b) accelerate a little more to then switch lanes. Instead the car slowed down. Like why? There’s a car behind me and no car in front of me. I did file a bug report as I was more interested in pressing the accelerator to get in the lane. Hopefully Tesla received the logs of the interrupted AP and hope to improve upon.

I did file a bug report as I was more interested in pressing the accelerator to get in the lane. Hopefully Tesla received the logs of the interrupted AP and hope to improve upon.
Bug reports stopped being uploaded after Tesla had sold hundreds of thousands of cars. If you're lucky there is a stored snapshot there and the service centre can extract it - and service centres can't do a thing about subtle software design issues upstream at Tesla which is about 50 layers removed from them. There used to be an email for feedback about autopilot but that also has long since become defunct. Tesla is too big to respond to personal level bug reports or feedback any more.

OP, back when you posted this I notice having similar issues when on the expressways/freeways out here in Tampa, FL. I haven't noticed it much lately, and I have recently updated (2019.5.16) and have not noticed the issue (yet). But it is good to know others are/were having the same issue.

Same here in my X, very unsettling and I'm trying to figure out what it's reacting to. At first I thought it was reading turn signals from the adjacent lane and trying to aggressively break just in case that person was about to change lanes in front of the X but that pattern didn't hold up for long...

Jeff

Reactions: shirosan