Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 5.15 Autopilot hesitating on freeways

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also have this problem with my X on 2019.5.16.
I was also wondering why would they program my car to slow down and match speed of a car in an adjusted lane even if that car is not getting into my lane.
But I think I've found what they are trying to achieve.

One day I was driving on a freeway in a most right lane (I rarely do so) and there was a car in a merging lane entering the freeway. I was on Navigate on Autopilot and was thinking that I have to disable the autopilot to let the merging car in as it was kind of ahead of me a little bit and moving with almost the same speed and autopilot is not going to allow this car in as it's not reacting to cars in other lanes. To my surprise, my car started slowing down clearly reacting to the car in the merging lane. It slowed down to just allow that other car to be ahead of me and giving it enough gap to merge, then matched my speed with the other car speed. After that, the other car was able to merge into my lane just perfectly fine. All this was happening just perfectly, with no sudden brake or sudden acceleration. It was very nicely done and I probably would do exactly the same myself!

Reactions: Enginerd
For me it's the speed data in maps that's buggy. In a clear 70 kmh zone that has been like this since the dawn of ages, it showed 50kmh limit for a brief moment and started slowing down before it disappeared again...

I'm on 5.16 and have pretty much stopped using AP unless it is very slow stop and go or free flow with no one behind me. If I get a car following me at any reasonable distance I shut it off because it is now phantom braking and could cause an accident. I had an AP1 loaner for a few weeks about a month ago and it is so much more confident when braking. AP2 has 0 finesse and is entirely too jerky.
I had a guy come up next to me on Friday last week and was in a rage with his wife in the car I think because of the brake lights blinking...

AP2 becomes unreliable:
1) around bridges specifically travelling underneath them
2) driving into the sun- I suppose it blinds the camera and it will phantom brake like crazy
3) Dawn/Dusk scenarios that create long shadows (especially perpendicular across the roadway).. I guess it sees these and thinks it is an obstacle.
4) In an HOV lane where the exit ramp is off to the left. Every single time it tries to take the exit instead of staying on the hwy. AP1 much better in this scenario.

I hardly ever ran into these problems with the AP1 car... Tesla still has a long way to go to reach parity with MobileEye... :-(