Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.7.105 (w/hw3?) center display went black while on freeway for my wife an hour ago

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can attest to AP remaining active and in control when main screen went black and rebooted. Route picked up where it left off and music continued. I did cancel AP while it was rebooting. Just in case it would have freaked out but it definitely went along it’s merry way during blackout/reboot.

• Informative
Reactions: DWhatley and dloop
I'm almost at my 1 year period of ownership. I think it rebooted on its own once or twice while I was driving. I even rebooted it myself while driving on the highway. Just the two steering wheel buttons not including the brakes. It's not a big deal. I guess once you know the driving functions of the car still works, you don't worry so much. I even noticed that the AP computer reboots sometimes. Recently I saw a warning message saying Cruise Unavailable. Two minutes later, it works again.

• Informative
Reactions: dloop
The screen crash has happened to me only once while driving.
I am still waiting for the next one since it has been over a week.
It rebooted on its own though. Hopefully the next one will require my intervention of pressing both buttons.

Happened to me yesterday on Freeway. Screen went black and then rebooted. Was on autopilot, and that was unaffected. When came back on, I tried the voice message "report bug", but mike would not turn on. Mike worked about 3 minutes later.

Yes, that is correct. I've rebooted my center console computer many times while driving, turn signals continue working normally, you just have no click sounds. Same with backup lights, brake lights, etc.

The biggest thing is that you don't have controls if the center console is offline ... no wiper controls, headlight controls, A/C and heat, etc.
Wiper works manually by pushing in with left stalk - 1 wipe only though.

So the blank screen has happened to me while driving about 3 or 4 times since 2012. It's happened on my 2012 Model S, and it's also happened (once) on my 2016 Model S. It was a bit alarming the first time, but then I realized it doesn't impact your ability to drive the car. I just do the two button reboot (on the steering wheel), and about 40 seconds later you're back in business. The same thing would probably happen to your computer if you left it running for months, or years.

Reactions: VQTRVA
This happened to me a few times early on in ownership. Almost never anymore. Scary the first time. Concerning the second few times. But other than the sheer silence I don’t recall any meaningful problems to basic driving under most conditions so I a) try 2 button reset while driving or b) just continue to the destination if close and It fixed itself by the next start up.

• Informative
Reactions: dloop and VQTRVA
What is the two-button reboot? I couldn't find any reference in the owner's manual. I have had the screen go blank twice, but it rebooted itself just fine.

Thank you,

Tony
Model 3 Manual, page 44
Restarting the Touchscreen
If your touchscreen is unresponsive or demonstrates unusual behavior, you can restart it. To do so, shift into Park and hold down both scroll buttons on the steering wheel until the touchscreen turns black and the Tesla logo appears. Within approximately 30 seconds, the touchscreen restarts. If the touchscreen is still unresponsive or demonstrating unusual behavior, contact Tesla.
As others have stated, you can do this while driving, and it's no big deal--car is still drivable. Takes more like 25 seconds in my experience. Good to try it once so you don't freak out if the screen ever crashes on you. Note, there seem to be (at least) two failure modes: 1) center screen computer (MCU) crashes (goes black) and reboots on its own; 2) screen freezes (or gets corrupt) and you need to reboot manually with two-finger salute.

Reactions: VQTRVA and DWhatley
She was able to pull over without incident. Called me in a bit of a panic, understandably. I walked her through a two button reboot and everything came back eventually.

When she gathered her composure at the side of the freeway I *carefully* reminded to her that the car was still drivable even though it appeared dead to her. She took issue with that by mentioning the turn signals didn't work at the time. That was a big deal as she had to cross a couple lanes to get to a safe place on the right.

I stayed on the phone with her for quite a while as she continued on her trip (she is in a different state from me right now). Everything seemed back to normal.

I've read enough about these cars to know that this happens from time to time. I wish it didn't but I would be lying if I said I was unaware. Part of me was thinking that hw3 and perhaps some new testing rigor might be less prone to this.

I called roadside assistance and chatted about it just now. They connected to the car while she was enroute and said it looked fine to them diagnostically. They believe the turn signals were working the entire time, it's just that she didn't have a visual or audible cue from within the car. We didn't think to have her check outside the car before we rebooted it.

Can anyone confirm this to be true about the turn signals?
Unfortunately the car is really a computer with 4 wheels. A very fun computer. But.... computers crash now and then. Hopefully over time Tesla operating software will improve greatly, and crashes will happen much less frequently. I have had mine go black now and then. And yes once the turn signals stopped working, just before a software crash. Everyone should be trained in rebooting. The good thing is the car continues to run fine while the compter is rebooting. You will lose your AC and music, but it will come back. My experience is maybe once every 6 months there is a software crash.

Has there been a reported case where the Main Panel computer rebooted and AP was active?
I've had the main panel reboot and autopilot continued, or at least I can confirm that lane following and cruise control kept working as I could feel the car continue to steer itself while the display was black and then while it was rebooting. As far as I could tell driving features continued working as normal.

• Informative
Reactions: dloop
Model 3 Manual, page 44

As others have stated, you can do this while driving, and it's no big deal--car is still drivable. Takes more like 25 seconds in my experience. Good to try it once so you don't freak out if the screen ever crashes on you. Note, there seem to be (at least) two failure modes: 1) center screen computer (MCU) crashes (goes black) and reboots on its own; 2) screen freezes (or gets corrupt) and you need to reboot manually with two-finger salute.
Is there a 'Hard' reboot section involving the brakes & 2 scroll wheels?