Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's amazing. I don't understand how they can make it faster at more than 50% SoC where we're already limited to less than 120kw...

They’re almost certainly not, at least not substantially. I’m guessing “twice as fast” means “we have a whole bunch of data on real world charge sessions and supercharger v3 will reduce the time people actually spend charging by 50% on average”.

They’re almost certainly not, at least not substantially.

What makes you say that? I find it interesting that Model S and 3 have very similar points where the charge rate begins to taper, yet the battery chemistry is years apart. I would not be surprised if Model 3 were capable of tapering later, but Tesla doesn't want to make S/X look bad so it's software limited.

We'll get some more information in the next hour. Hopefully, some of these questions will be answered.

Another question I have is what the impact will be to the battery long-term. Hasn't Elon mentioned in the past that speeding up supercharging rates could negatively impact batteries over time?

What makes you say that? I find it interesting that Model S and 3 have very similar points where the charge rate begins to taper, yet the battery chemistry is years apart.

I think that’s a big assumption. There have been many chemistry changes to the cells in the S/X over the years and I see no reason to believe that improvements realized with the 3 have not made it to later versions of the 18650.

I think they could likely allow for the taper to kick in later than they do - but I’d expect an evolutionary vs revolutionary improvement here. Battery technology improvements are primarily of the slow and steady variety these days - not drastic leaps in performance (at least not commercially).

Reactions: MP3Mike
I think that’s a big assumption. There have been many chemistry changes to the cells in the S/X over the years and I see no reason to believe that improvements realized with the 3 have not made it to later versions of the 18650.

But have they changed the taper rate since supercharging rolled out? I don't think they have (substantially). Even an extra 10% would be really helpful.

But have they changed the taper rate since supercharging rolled out? I don't think they have (substantially). Even an extra 10% would be really helpful.

It has varied greatly depending on battery pack. For example, the 70kwh packs from the 2015 era hit ~max supercharger rates of 115+kw, but tapered very early (like 20% SoC and above). Meanwhile the current 100kwh pack will maintain full speed until ~50%, much like the model 3.

• Informative
Reactions: kbecks13
Don't expect any V2 sites to be upgraded. (Maybe some strategic ones will be, but it would probably be better to add a redundant site instead.) It will likely only be new sites for quite a while.
Well there this, which was completely unexpected!

"Additionally, we are also unlocking 145kW charge rates for our 12,000+ V2 Superchargers over the coming weeks."

I’m guessing “twice as fast” means “we have a whole bunch of data on real world charge sessions and supercharger v3 will reduce the time people actually spend charging by 50% on average”.

“Supercharging will ultimately cut the amount of time customers spend charging by an average of 50%, as modeled on our fleet data.”

Someone buy this man a beer

I found this to be more exciting than the new supercharger news :D

Me too. Had no idea our key fobs could be “updated” like our cars with an OTA update. Glad I already have my fob. They might sell out quickly on line when people realize now they have this capability to be more. I know many people were hoping for Passive Entry and this looks promising for that.

Me too. Had no idea our key fobs could be “updated” like our cars with an OTA update. Glad I already have my fob. They might sell out quickly on line when people realize now they have this capability to be more. I know many people were hoping for Passive Entry and this looks promising for that.

Just because a feature is in an EAP, i.e. private beta, version doesn't mean that it will ever get released to the public. (Sure it is likely that it will, but you never know.)

I think they could likely allow for the taper to kick in later than they do - but I’d expect an evolutionary vs revolutionary improvement here. Battery technology improvements are primarily of the slow and steady variety these days - not drastic leaps in performance (at least not commercially).

Battery research to reduce the parasitic reactions has advanced in the past 5 years. That research is not the slow and steady variety. Also, battery cost has also improved drastically. Not slow and steady. What you're talking about is battery energy density which IS slow to improve.

Also wondering it they will limit you to 80% charge. Makes no sense for a car to hog a v3 charger from 80%-100% especially when there's a limited number of v3 stalls available.

That's all well and good, until you are in a smaller-pack car, in the winter, and your next Supercharger hop is >200 miles away. Will be interesting to see if they cap you at 80%, but there are still enough holes in coverage where they shouldn't do that.

That's all well and good, until you are in a smaller-pack car, in the winter, and your next Supercharger hop is >200 miles away. Will be interesting to see if they cap you at 80%, but there are still enough holes in coverage where they shouldn't do that.

Good point. Was thinking more along the lines of an 80% max on V3, then move car over to a V2 charger (assuming there is one). But hopefully there will be enough V3 chargers it won’t matter.