Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 75d vs 100d : decision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was looking at new inventory and found the colors I liked with 6 seater config. But trying to decide if I need to go with showroom model 75d or place a new order for 100d.
Price difference between both is 13k. My daily driving is 40mi per day and occasionally do 1 long trip in a year. Should I go with 75d or 100d and I live in San Jose with warm weather throughout the year

100D should be a bit faster and more range flexible on long trips. But for one trip a year the difference in cost might not be worth it.

In order to get the same number of rated miles on a 75D you have to charge it to a higher percentage of the battery capacity then a 100D would require. This can put you in the slower charging "taper" zone, above about 80% charge. So the 100D will involve less waiting at a Supercharger. Or you could maintain a larger safety margin (percent charge at destination) with the 100D. Or you might be able to stay longer at a destination that doesn't have a charger nearby. That's why we got the 100D instead of a 90D.

It came in handy on the last trip when we charged to 100% at the Buckeye, AZ Supercharger and skipped an unexpectedly nonfunctional Quartzite, AZ Supercharger. We made it to Indio, CA with 6% remaining. And that was going a little slower than normal. A 75D might have made it, but maybe traveling 55 MPH the whole way.

We had planned to use the X nearly exclusively for long road trips, so the 100D was a easy choice for us.

As far as resale, if that's really a concern I'd wait and see about the "big refresh" that's supposed to happen this summer. I've been really happy my X has stayed fairly current for two years, though all the things I bought as options are now standard. Looks like MCU1 is my most dated component, but may be updatable. I waited for AP2 to be introduced, plus a quarter, and just barely delayed enough to get one of the first 100D's. After this coming refresh I'll probably be noticeably ancient.

I've taken dozens of long trips between my MX90D or M3P. Honestly speaking, the only time I charge to 100% is at home right before the trip. I'm a fan of more frequent SuperCharger stops to maximize charge speed and overall time.

I'm in the Bay Area too and we're lucky to have SuperChargers sprinkled everywhere from here to SoCal or Las Vegas, if that's considered a "long trip" in your book.

If the decision is just a coin flip, get the 100D. If you're struggling with the decision, get the 75D. Either way you won't look back...unless of course you walk outside tomorrow morning and see a brand new 100D in your neighbor's driveway.

75D vs 100D is 237 vs 293 miles (there might be a more updated numbers for both but it doesn’t impact my conclusion). If both cars charge to 90% and never goes down to less than 10%, meaning only using 80% of the range, then we are talking about 189.6 vs 234.4 miles, or roughly 45 miles of range difference. In real world driving, you probably won’t be able to achieve rated range, so the range advantage of 100D would be even smaller, around 35-40 miles.

Now the question for you is, are you willing to pay 13k or so to get extra 35-40 miles of range (and slightly faster supercharging, slightly increased performance)? I bought 75D and I am happy with it.

For those who say always buy the biggest battery, if Tesla has an option for 125D for extra 13k over 100D, then 150D for extra 26k over 100D etc, would you always buy the biggest battery? Where is the limit? 500-mile battery? 1000-mile battery? Remember larger battery also increase weight and hurt efficiency, and those battery are kinda of waste if you don’t use the full capacity often.

The price difference used to be 18k or something, 13k is much less than what it used to be. The 100D will also be worth more when it comes time to sell it. I am not saying it is for everyone, but you should strongly consider it. This is especially when you have a heavy foot. I was averaging only 120-140 miles with my 75D. I don't know exactly how many I am getting now, but I just know I never have to freak out or I can actually drive 75-80 on my long trip.

The price difference used to be 18k or something, 13k is much less than what it used to be. The 100D will also be worth more when it comes time to sell it. I am not saying it is for everyone, but you should strongly consider it. This is especially when you have a heavy foot. I was averaging only 120-140 miles with my 75D. I don't know exactly how many I am getting now, but I just know I never have to freak out or I can actually drive 75-80 on my long trip.
If you can only get 120-140 miles from 75D, then you can only get 148-173 miles with 100D. That's extra 28-33 miles. Not a lot. So my point is that actually even the 100D does not have that much of range to erase range anxiety. We are not talking about 200 mile vs 400 mile range, but only 30-40 miles additional range, which is really marginal if we are talking about road trips.

In the end it depends on OP's need. If OP takes 200+ mile round trip weekly, definitely go with 100D for more range and slightly fast charging. However, like OP said only needs 40 miles per day and occasionally 1 long trip per year, the extra $13k seems to be not very cost effective.

If you can afford it go with bigger battery. It's like hard drives, ram, etc With tech generally the biggest you can afford is better.

13K extra now will be a smaller difference when you sell it because of higher resale value of course.

Remember if you dont already own a Tesla you may find you will do a lot more driving as it's easier/cheaper/more comfortable.

If you can afford it go with bigger battery. It's like hard drives, ram, etc With tech generally the biggest you can afford is better.

13K extra now will be a smaller difference when you sell it because of higher resale value of course.

Remember if you dont already own a Tesla you may find you will do a lot more driving as it's easier/cheaper/more comfortable.
No offense but I felt that many people say “get the bigger one if you can afford” when a 75D vs 100D debate came up, and it doesn’t help at all.

If OP has a billion dollar in liquid asset he wouldn’t be here, would he? Also since OP is deciding between a $85k+ car vs a $100k one, I don’t see how OP would not be able to “afford” the 100D which is only 17% more expensive. It’s like debating a $20k car vs $23.4k one, and both are virtually in the same price range. So now the question is not really whether OP can “afford” 100D, but whether the cost of 100D is justifiable giving the benefit.

I also feel that the 75D is the “normal price version” where 100D is the “overcharged version”, kind like how Apple charges say additional $200 for some additional memory which cost like $10.
P100D is the even more overcharge version which is why in recent price adjustment we saw like $20k discount.

• Disagree
Reactions: petergy and sk19
Well, if OP still haven’t decided yet, today is your lucky day, as Tesla just announced refreshed Model X with increased range (250mile for standard range/75D) that comes with more power, faster charging (145kw at V2 and 200kw at V3), and better adaptive suspension.

I felt that the standard version with 250 miles and fast charging should be more than enough for OP’s need.

Ok Folks new order placed.. i initially had an order on showroom model 75D which was shipped from LA to Fremont, CA. After i heard read the updates in the tech blog i went ahead and cancelled the order and placed order on the new 250mi range 75D since the price difference was only 3000k. If it was steep like 12-15k i would have thought about the other one. I feel the fast charging (50% on V3) itself is pretty good for road trips.

Ok Folks new order placed.. i initially had an order on showroom model 75D which was shipped from LA to Fremont, CA. After i heard read the updates in the tech blog i went ahead and cancelled the order and placed order on the new 250mi range 75D since the price difference was only 3000k. If it was steep like 12-15k i would have thought about the other one. I feel the fast charging (50% on V3) itself is pretty good for road trips.
Good choice. I did the exact same thing.