Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.8.3 Change to AP lane change behavior?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel like AP is now decelerating slightly when I command a lane change, even when no traffic is detected.

Situation: ECC set to 80mph, I move over to the left to pass slower traffic, overriding ECC with a slight application of power pedal, and engage full AP once in the lane. After passing traffic, I command an Autopilot lane change back to the right, and the car pretty reliably drops back to 75-76mph until it has completed the lane change, whereupon it accelerated back to 80mph (or whatever it was set to. Target speed never changes.)

Anyone else encountering anything like this? It’s annoying to merge in front of slower traffic and have the car slow down for no apparent reason.

I had some pretty buggy behavior with AP on 2019.8.3. For example, I was driving on the freeway at about 70 MPH when the car suddenly braked hard and slowed down. What it had done was change the "focus" on the car I was following to a much slower car in the lane to my right. That car was perfectly in his lane, and even my dash display showed him centered in his lane, but the "focus" was on that car as indicated by it being brighter white while the other cars were more grey. I have heard that it is supposed to be able to recognize turn signals and yield to cars who want to merge, but this guy did not have his signal on. I had to use the accelerator to get past him, and once I did, the car resumed at the set speed. This is a serious bug because I had someone fairly close behind me when it happened and I think he thought I was "brake checking" him based on how he swerved around me when it happened.

I did 650km mostly on AP yesterday and noticed the deceleration before lane changes many but not all times. I'd guess it did it to me about 10-15 times. It's incredibly annoying when nobody is around and dangerous when there is.

I tried to look for commonality and one thought is that it seemed to do much worse changing lanes when traffic was heavier. Even if all the cars were beside and behind me.