Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.8.3 First release of traffic light detection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an M3 with EAP. Just updated to 8.3.
I will be driving around town tomorrow and will report back on how well it handles red stop light detection.
I am hopeful but today, March 24, my car never warned me when I was going to run a red light on Autopilot. Drove over 50 miles in daylight, dusk and dark. Too soon to speculate why this new feature did not work for me.

The only videos I have are of the M3 acting as before, oblivious to stop lights. Too mundane to upload. Still impressive if you have never seen a Tesla on Autosteer!

Last edited:
I am hopeful but today, March 24, my car never warned me when I was going to run a red light on Autopilot. Drove over 50 miles in daylight, dusk and dark. Too soon to speculate why this new feature did not work for me.

So you went around running red lights all day to test it? It is probably like the blind spot chime that doesn't chime until you have crossed the line and are about to hit the other car.

So you went around running red lights all day to test it? It is probably like the blind spot chime that doesn't chime until you have crossed the line and are about to hit the other car.
I did not run any red lights but I definitely had my front end exposed a few times. I would brake just short of entering the intersection. I will leave the running through a red light testing to someone who lives in a more desolate area.

I assumed Autopilot would warn me BEFORE I entered the intersection. That is how I read the release notes.

I did not run any red lights but I definitely had my front end exposed a few times. I would brake just short of entering the intersection. I will leave the running through a red light testing to someone who lives in a more desolate area.

I assumed Autopilot would warn me BEFORE I entered the intersection. That is how I read the release notes.

Were you slowing as you approached them?

This is an important question; if you are slowing -- maybe even just using regen and not even the brakes -- then the software probably assumes you know about the red light already and it does not need to warn you.

That said, I can also believe that it is still extremely unreliable. Initially at least they will probably err on the side of false negatives rather than false positives, because those false positives are going to be super annoying when they start happening.

In fact, not only can I beleive it, but anybody who's read much of what I've written on these fora can probably guess that I'm quite certain that it's extremely unreliable. :)

The release notes also state you be warned "only" in some cases. We'll have to wait until a brave soul runs some red lights in a "safe" intersection where you can be sure there are no police or other cars

Nice try, but definitely not a base level safety feature. Already listed as a FSD feature.
A real safety feature would be the car analyzing your driving and disabling the steering wheel if you are a danger to other road users. I can just imagine the complaints about that :D

This is a _warning_. FSD would _respond_ to the traffic light.

I can believe this would become a feature on all cars.

C.f. Lane departure warning v autosteer.

And Autosteer was active up until you stopped? (Which is currently a requirement for the warning.)

That would mean that you weren't slowing as you approached unless you were lowering the TACC set point.

Reactions: bijan
The speed did not matter nor did any other variable. I tried it slow (18mph) all the way up to 45mph. I did extensive tests at several intersection that I have routinely driven through on AP over the last 6 months.

Again I can not speculate and am hopeful it will work soon. I love AP and I use it whenever possible. It is so awesome in bumper to bumper traffic and spectacular on freeways. But I pay attention while driving on AP so I can take over when needed. After all 'driving on AP' is still 'driving'.

Honestly this 'warning' feature will only be useful when it also detects stop signs and all the other traffic signs. And 'warning' features are infinitely better when they react automatically.

Last edited:
I'm confused--what roads/highways am I currently 'allowed' to use EAP on that have stoplights??

Well, that is an interesting question. Maybe this technically only applies to when a limited access freeway ends and converts to a highway with stop lights?

Will be interesting to see the user manual update associated with this release. I am sure it will be full of “don’t use AP except on highways, but if you do choose to use it on city streets, we might still warn you about running red lights. Wink, wink”

That is pretty much what it says already.
Autosteer is intended for use only by a fully attentive driver on freeways and highways where access is limited by entry and exit ramps. If you choose to use Autosteer on residential roads, a road without a center divider, or a road where access is not limited, Autosteer may limit the maximum allowed cruising speed.

It's worth noting that there's conflicting langauge in all of the manual versions from the beginning through now. One part, prominently marked "WARNING", says "Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads with a fully attentive driver."

FWIW, if you want to be picky, every public road in the U.S. is a "highway". (So are canals, incidentally.)

The later section, not IMO as prominently marked, reads as @TT97 quoted.

Neither wording has changed from the earliest manual through the latest.

OK - got 8.3
The real way to test red light detection is to have someone stand on the side of the road and as you approach - point a red flashlight at you.

As far as the new summons feature.....
I pressed all over my key card and my car just refuses to come to me - sigh !!!

On my X, I need to disable “Hold to summon” in order to use the key fob for summon, is there such a setting on the summon tab on the 3?

• Funny
Reactions: S3XY
OK - got 8.3
The real way to test red light detection is to have someone stand on the side of the road and as you approach - point a red flashlight at you.

As far as the new summons feature.....
I pressed all over my key card and my car just refuses to come to me - sigh !!!
If stoplight detection is fooled by a red flashlight then Tesla is even farther away from FSD than I thought. haha.