Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.8.3 First release of traffic light detection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which level of Autopilot are you on?
I have a late 2018 model 3 performance vehicle with 2.5 hardware, and FSD.

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 5.29.32 PM.png

Reactions: DriveMe
I’ve tested this today on about 10 or so free and clear intersections. It does not always warn you, and when it does it’s often too late. I found myself slamming the brakes just as the red hand warning came up. It certainly does need additional calibration. Since we have no other method of generating feedback on the console, it’s difficult to know how often it’s interpreting the data properly. From the single reddit user video posting on YouTube who rooted their Tesla and enabled the automation and display features it’s pretty clear it has a ways to go. Here in NYC, I often find myself behind trucks with visibility to the traffic lights blocked. It’s happened to me on more than one occasion that I found myself crossing an intersection during a red light because I could not see the signal. In one notorious section of Brooklyn, cops were pulling over dozens of motorists because signs were not clearly visible. We’re going to have the same issue in certain corner cases even if Tesla gets signage and traffic signal detection right. It may choose not to enter the intersection if it knows a traffic signal is present but it can’t get visibility or line of site is obstructed. I now slow down and come to a stop if I’m unsure of the status of the traffic light. Sometimes I can peer around and see the duration counter on the Walk Signs to get a better handle on how long I have to cross over the intersection. It’s not my sense that Tesla would ever do that, and there is no guarantee that these these will always be synchronized.

Let's just clarify though. If the camera cant see the light you are following too close. If the camera cant see the light a human probably cant either...

Here in NYC, I often find myself behind trucks with visibility to the traffic lights blocked. It’s happened to me on more than one occasion that I found myself crossing an intersection during a red light because I could not see the signal.
Hmmmmm, I am a bit puzzled. I never have that problem where I can't see over the top of a big truck in my MX. Wouldn't that problem be solved by backing away from the truck and not following so close, so you can see the light over it?

Let's just clarify though. If the camera cant see the light you are following too close. If the camera cant see the light a human probably cant either...

Driving in NYC is its own art. While driving for over ten years in California, I've never been prepared or presented with the same range of driving experiences as I have had in Manhattan - in short, it can best be described a form of managed chaos. Between aggressive drivers (including large garbage trucks), high form factor trailers, angry honkers, lost souls, bikes, and pedestrians sharing lanes it can leave one feeling a bit drained before getting into the office. There is no question what you are saying is true, but in Manhattan, there are occasions where one can't see the signals (on approach) even if holding a distance of a car length behind a truck.

In the meantime, you might get a kick out of this - it is a recording I made after getting rear-ended three times by a drunk driver in a U-Haul truck while I was driving our family minivan. Almost none of the information he presented me matched:

Its a good sampling of the kind of craziness that occurs out here!

Believe it or not, it took three calls to 911, and a fourth to the police commissioner (a colleague who I have on speed dial) before the cops finally showed up 90 minutes later. Apparently in NYC reporting a drunk driver is not an immediate cause for concern when they're dealing with other priority calls. The driver eventually left the scene of the accident. After I shared it with U-Haul, they paid my claim and took away his ability to rent future U-Haul trucks. Apparently, he also didn't return the vehicle for several days after its due date. Shortly afterward, insurance decided to total the car, and this began my journey with Tesla.

I've learned its safer to drive in Manhattan like an old man, yielding when it makes sense (but not too often, or an entire chain of cars will take advantage of you, including from oncoming traffic making turns) and ignore the impatient drivers around you. Its added a few minutes to my commute, but it's gotten me where I need to be safe.

Last edited:
8.3 with EAP and FSD
Tried once and worked once with red steering screamer
I started to slow downs bit with regen approaching intersection going over 50 miles an hour
After the red steering wheel lite up bare had enough time to stop but I did stop before going to the intersection
It would be nice if it worked without auto steer

Reactions: DriveMe
8.3 with EAP and FSD
Tried once and worked once with red steering screamer
I started to slow downs bit with regen approaching intersection going over 50 miles an hour
After the red steering wheel lite up bare had enough time to stop but I did stop before going to the intersection
It would be nice if it worked without auto steer

I would expect that eventually it will be added as a safety feature, similar to the one we get when approaching a car ahead with too much speed regardless of whether or not auto steer is enabled.

In the meantime, you might get a kick out of this - it is a recording I made after getting rear-ended three times by a drunk driver in a U-Haul truck while I was driving our family minivan. Almost none of the information he presented me matched:

ha ha ha. that is a great recording. Thanks. Moreover, I am GREATLY impressed with just how calm and collective you are. I would have probably just dragged him off and tied him to a tree. :eek:

First post, I’ve been lurking for a long time though.

I took delivery on Thursday of an AWD LR with FSD. I was prompted for the 2019.8.3 update as soon as I got home with the car. Completed the update, got the Peak Power Increase, Autosteer Stop Light Warning, Summon with Key Fob, Etc...

This is not my first experience with FSD...I rented an identical M3 with FSD for a week through TORO as an extended test drive before I bought mine. Put about 600 miles on it using FSD probably 75% of the time.

Anyway, I was on my way home from work yesterday on on a major freeway using NOAP, it pulled me off on my exit, then NOAP turned off and I was just on Autosteer for the rest of the exit. It was a long 2 lane exit, approximately 1/2 mile ending with a stop light. I was in the right lane with a car immediately to my left in left lane. I had a red light so I decided to see how the stop light warming worked. I was ready to hit the brakes, but noticed the car began slowing down on its own, and went into regen like a car was slowing down in front of me. I let it do it’s thing, and it brought me to a FULL STOP at the light (although a little further forward than I would normally stop), and then I immedietly got the red screaming alert to “Immediately Take Control.” As soon as the alert started, the brakes released and the car started rolling forward.

I havent had time to read this entire thread, so not sure if anyone else has experienced this, if it was a fluke, or maybe the sensors were picking up on the car to my left, or what...? This really surprised me as I know this is not supposed to be a capability yet.

I’ll try it again next time I’m on the same exit...

• Informative
Reactions: SammichLover
The screaming red hands of death were likely due to the fact that you need to take control at the end of a NOAP at an exit like that. independent of any red light actions.

Welcome. And that was a good idea that you did an extended drive before getting the car. You know what you were getting o_O

Anyway, I was on my way home from work yesterday on on a major freeway using NOAP, it pulled me off on my exit, then NOAP turned off and I was just on Autosteer for the rest of the exit. It was a long 2 lane exit, approximately 1/2 mile ending with a stop light. I was in the right lane with a car immediately to my left in left lane. I had a red light so I decided to see how the stop light warming worked. I was ready to hit the brakes, but noticed the car began slowing down on its own, and went into regen like a car was slowing down in front of me. I let it do it’s thing, and it brought me to a FULL STOP at the light (although a little further forward than I would normally stop), and then I immedietly got the red screaming alert to “Immediately Take Control.”
NoA has always stopped the car at the end of an exit, whether there is a red light or not (it's probably based on map data).

NoA has always stopped the car at the end of an exit, whether there is a red light or not (it's probably based on map data).
I originally liked this post. However new evidence provided to me on my trip today suggests thats not always the case.

I used NOA to drive home (eventhough I knew how to get home.. i just love using NOA), and the vehicle slowed down at the red light at the exit intersection... but wanted to keep going at approximately 20km/h. I had to slam on the brakes. I was actually specifically testing to see if it would react to the red light and it most assuredly did not!