Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.8.3 Navigate on Autopilot Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got 2019.8.3 last night on my Model 3. I've not been a fan of NoA or HW2+ in general. In past releases, I was delaying or cancelling majority of lane change requests. And then dealing with a lot of phantom braking and hesitation. But man, have to say, 2019.8.3 is pretty darn good. Did a 20 minute drive twice (once in each direction) with moderate traffic and a complex interchange (change lanes too early and you deal with several onramps merging into you; change lanes too late and you'll have a hard time with people letting you in). Lane change requests were perfect. No dangerous behavior. Very smooth. Overall, it's now better than some people I know. Might even be better than the bottom 25-33% of drivers which is a big step forward from before where I'd say it was previously unusable on this route. Well done AP team!

I'm not sure if it matters but what setting do you have your AoN customized - Mild, Average or Mad Max?

When I am driving, I use everything available that the "S" has to offer. Sometimes it works very well and other times it does exactly what others have stated; phantom braking, incomplete lane change, etc., but when my wife is in the car I turn everything off. It only takes one time for the vehicle to do something unexpected and a good drive turns into a disaster. I love the technology and love putting it to the test and seeing what it can and cannot do. Until it is "fully" perfected, regardless of what latest software download, I am restricted to use when alone. The way I figure it, they have 20 more years to perfect the system and after that I will not be here to do any more testing.

When I am driving, I use everything available that the "S" has to offer. Sometimes it works very well and other times it does exactly what others have stated; phantom braking, incomplete lane change, etc., but when my wife is in the car I turn everything off. It only takes one time for the vehicle to do something unexpected and a good drive turns into a disaster....

... I think you just started a new “me too” movement!

• Funny
Reactions: Siggy101 and VRM3
Have you noticed an improvement in how it handles auto lane changes? I’m on 2019.5.15 and yesterday it was bouncing back and forth between the lane it was trying to change in to. Had to cancel it and eventually do it myself. This happened about three times during a 45 minute drive.

i have 2016 MX on 2018.50.6 version and same situation occurred to me yesterday. Was driving on AP and signaled for the right lane with
no traffic behind. The car turned halfway to the right lane and suddenly jerked back to my original lane and took manual control.Luckily there was no car in the left lane, otherwise it could have created a crash situation.

Glad to hear and I hope they get real time traffic data soon. Not sure how, but the car needs to know about lane closures.

I was almost involved in an accident last night as NoA veered left at the last second trying to get on a closed carpool lane. I turned on my blinkers to go right but NOA wanted to go left. Half way into making the right turn the car swerved to the left close to other vehicles.

Just received and updated 2019.8.3 (2019 S 75D) this morning and took it for a drive. AP lane change worked very well and changed lanes with ease; no half lane change hesitation. Operated in mad max and had the speed adjustment set to plus 10. One time it showed the blue line to slip in in front of the car beside me, but slowed and pulled in behind the car beside me. Driving out, there is a slight 60 degree turn to enter the acceleration lane and the AP wanted to make the turn, but another car opposite decided he had the right away and pulled in front and I disconnected. Didn't see any use of the stop sign identification and I pushed it to try it. Haven't tried the Sentry mode, so can't comment. check the side camera view and at sunrise it did rather well. Front camera seemed to be better than before. No change to summons mode (worthless) vehicle cannot make it over the 1.5 inch lip backing into the garage. Looks like some improvements, but still a ways to go.

Attachments

• 20190327_061618.jpg
    20190327_061618.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 20190327_061629.jpg
    20190327_061629.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 20190327_061652.jpg
    20190327_061652.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 53
Glad to hear and I hope they get real time traffic data soon. Not sure how, but the car needs to know about lane closures.

I was almost involved in an accident last night as NoA veered left at the last second trying to get on a closed carpool lane. I turned on my blinkers to go right but NOA wanted to go left. Half way into making the right turn the car swerved to the left close to other vehicles.
I've had this happen a couple of times - but every time that has happened to me all that happened was I was holding the wheel (like you're supposed to) there was a slight jerk as it tried to swing back to the other lane, but as I was holding the wheel it detected the resistance and disabled auto steer like its supposed to.
No danger of hitting anything, just a bit a jiggly moment.

I have used auto lane change quite a bit this past week. I have had zero problems. I only use it on the freeways.
I am on 2019,5,15.

PS: according to manual, there are two ways to disable autosteer and cruise control - either turn the wheel (which tries to resist a bit), or tap the brake. It works this way on my car.