Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.8.4 Crash Avoided on NoA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To set the stage:
My family and I were traveling from North of Houston to South of Houston 102 one way trip busy highway miles. I was traveling south on I610 loop which is very heavy with traffic. NoA had me in the fast lane passing slower traffic.
Incident:
NoA suggested lane change out of the fast lane. I checked my side mirror and acknowledged the change. Suddenly, in the middle of the change my X vigorously maneuvered back to the left aborting the lane change. With my shock I looked to the right and seen a woman's face 6 inches from my wife's passenger window as she when flying by.
After analysis:
My wife happened to glance just before the incident and said the other vehicle was 3 lanes over traveling 20 to 30 miles per hour faster than us and other traffic around us, cut over three lanes as she was overtaking us, and cut into our lane. If my X would not have maneuvered quickly, the other vehicle would have side swiped my X. I did not look over until after the X maneuvered a few feet to the left while it aborted. The other car was at that time within inches of my side panels. Of course the other driver gave me the dirty look as she went flying by. :)

In addition on that trip the X did some rather remarkable heavy traffic driving at full and limited traffic speeds through out the trip. One in particular that stood out in addition to the crash avoidance was how the X handled merging traffic. The X identified the merge in advance, paced my car to the merging traffic's speed by slowing down, positioned my car correctly to allow the slow traffic to merge from adjacent on-ramp lane into my lane. The 8.4 update prior to the 8.5 is impressive. I assume it is using the same logic as 8.5 but with out the enhanced options to disengage acknowledgements.

Driven those roads too, that’s where I grew up. II thought houston was pretty nasty, but when I moved to Dallas... 75 N/S is really terrible. I can’t count on my fingers how many cars go 90 miles an hour with surrounding traffic traveling at 60. Every time I get on, middle of the day or night.

So naturally testing on new NOA, people were changing into the lane I was changing into, and AP handled it like a champ. No beeps, just calmly went back into the previous lane and waited it’s turn. Happened 3 times in 10 miles. Every time AP was smooth, consistent, and safe.