TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2019 - Another Big Year for SpaceX

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by Grendal, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Grendal

Grendal SpaceX Moderator

2019 in spaceflight - Wikipedia

Not as many launches compared to 2018 but SpaceX still had a lot of serious achievements.

13 successful launches.
    15 boosters landed and 14 recovered.
    Completed the final launch of the fully successful Iridium Constellation.
    Completely successful DM-1 Commercial Crew mission.
    2 successful Block 5 Falcon Heavy missions.
    Successful FH booster recovery and reuse of those for the first time.
    First time a booster (B1048) has successfully launched for a fourth time.
    2 Starlink missions launched
    Fairings were finally successfully caught and fairings were finally reused.
    First 3rd reuse of a Dragon 1 capsule.

A couple setbacks this year with the loss of DM-1 capsule during a test being the worst. SpaceX also seems to have an issue with recovering FH center cores. They did land one but lost it in rough seas.

2020 is shaping up to be the biggest year ever for SpaceX with a possibility of 35 to 38 launches happening.
    Go SpaceX!

• Like x 6
  2. bxr140

bxr140 Active Member

Just to keep the office pool going, I'll stick with my guess of 31 [that I made months ago in the starlink thread].

• Like x 1
  3. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

I say they push it big time and hit 42. ;)

• Funny x 1
  4. Grendal

Grendal SpaceX Moderator

Take note that China launched 32 rockets in 2019. However, most of those rockets are small ones with small payloads. The Long March payload to LEO equals out to 206,400 kg. SpaceX payloads equaled out to 300,000 kg to LEO. So technically SpaceX, by itself, put more payload into orbit than all of the Chinese launches combined. While China beats SpaceX numerically, SpaceX beats China in mass, complexity, and difficult orbits by quite a bit.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  5. AudubonB

AudubonB One can NOT induce accuracy with precision!

Eeek...I just can't help myself. Is there a chance they funded this launch with the help of First Third Bancorp?

• Funny x 2