Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 California HOV sticker information questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys i know this has been discussed many times here, but I was hoping to find some answers to a few questions now that we’re in 2019. I know there’s been changes to the rules/requirements recently and I’m a little unsure about the details of it all.

First, as a California resident, if i buy a used 2015 90D will be able to get HOV stickers for it?

If so, is there restrictions based off which state the car is purchased from? Also, does it matter if the previous owner had HOV stickers in their name for that vehicle?

Secondly, does the fact that I’ve never owned an EV before effect anything?

Lastly, is there any advice you’d give me as to how to best navigate this potential issue?

(Potentially related, i have a friend with a model s and he’s never put stickers on because he loves his car and hates the actual stickers. He uses the HOV lane to and from work everyday and has never been pulled over, and has multiple occasions with HWY patrol directly behind while driving in the HOV lane. You think law enforcement knows what the deal is with Tesla’s by now and they don’t even bother?)

Thanks in advance for any replies. Buying may car next month and want to be informed about this seemingly confusing issue

Hey guys i know this has been discussed many times here, but I was hoping to find some answers to a few questions now that we’re in 2019. I know there’s been changes to the rules/requirements recently and I’m a little unsure about the details of it all.

First, as a California resident, if i buy a used 2015 90D will be able to get HOV stickers for it?

If so, is there restrictions based off which state the car is purchased from? Also, does it matter if the previous owner had HOV stickers in their name for that vehicle?

Secondly, does the fact that I’ve never owned an EV before effect anything?

Lastly, is there any advice you’d give me as to how to best navigate this potential issue?

(Potentially related, i have a friend with a model s and he’s never put stickers on because he loves his car and hates the actual stickers. He uses the HOV lane to and from work everyday and has never been pulled over, and has multiple occasions with HWY patrol directly behind while driving in the HOV lane. You think law enforcement knows what the deal is with Tesla’s by now and they don’t even bother?)

Thanks in advance for any replies. Buying may car next month and want to be informed about this seemingly confusing issue
I think you can get the stickers for your car regardless of where you buy it from.
You can get on the DMV website for more info.

Potentially related, I’d not take the risk of not putting those on your car.
The fine is not that inexpensive.