Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 deliveries get free AP/FSD upgrade, 2018 deliveries get nothing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just confirmed with Tesla support that if you took delivery of your 3 in 2019, you will be getting a free AP or FSD upgrade, depending on what you currently have. 2018 deliveries get nothing.

This is a super hard pill to swallow. Look, I get the 'you got what you paid for' thing - but shouldn't that apply to people who took delivery in January 2019 too? Now, in addition to the $4,250 I'm out due to the price drop (and yes, I accounted for the tax credit difference), my car is worth an additional $3k less than someone who took delivery a few days later in January 2019.

How can it be fair that 2019 deliveries get the make-good, but 2018 deliveries don't? I only had my car a few extra days!

Reactions: JPUConn and fiatlux
I got delivery in 2019 and just had to buy FSD for 3k.

You should have contacted support. 2 reps have already confirmed what I posted above.

What kills me is that this price decrease stacks *on top* of the depreciation of a luxury car. Let's say any car is worth 15% less with only a few thousand mile on it. I get that and I understand it. But now, that 15% starts *at the new, much lower base price*. My car has literally devalued over $7k **IN ADDITION TO** depreciation in two days. That's ****ing insane.

my car is worth an additional $3k less than someone who took delivery a few days later in January 2019.

No, because the tax credit dropped by $3750 those few days later. In that sense it seems quite fair ...maybe not "perfectly fair" where everyone pays exactly the same cost for the same configuration no matter when they bought it but you have to be realistic.

Personally, I bought my car in beginning of 2019 with FSD so will be interesting to see how it shakes out in my case.

No, because the tax credit dropped by $3750 those few days later. In that sense it seems quite fair ...maybe not "perfectly fair" where everyone pays exactly the same cost for the same configuration no matter when they bought it but you have to be realistic.

Personally, I bought my car in beginning of 2019 with FSD so will be interesting to see how it shakes out in my case.

Nope. The price dropped significantly, making up for the lower tax credit. January 2019 deliveries are getting a huge handout here.

I have seen ZERO from tesla saying anyone gets upgrades for free. Don't believe someone saying "someone told me" until you see it in writing from tesla somewhere.

I just saw it in writing in Tesla chat. Multiple other people have too.

Reactions: niray9
Nope. The price dropped significantly, making up for the lower tax credit. January 2019 deliveries are getting a huge handout here.

The "huge price drop" was $2000 so then you still paid $1750 less when taking tax credit into account. Those 2019 people are now getting a $3000 software upgrade free, so in that sense you may be out $1250 ...assuming you buy FSD. Like I said, not "perfectly fair" but this is the real world we are in.

Thinking about it further this is going to be another mess for them. Think of the people who wanted their P $5,000 refunds.... what does this mean for people who paid for autopilot already on 2019? Thats a lot of complaining on both ends. Not to mention the lost income of those who would have eventually paid for the upgrade and the potential additional refunds of those who already paid as mentioned above.

Guy on reddit posted this- note he bought his in OCTOBER 2018

https://i.imgur.com/IV5cWmz.jpg

Which would suggest they've decided to just give everyone who paid for EAP free FSD, and anyone who paid for FSD will get a refund.

Which'd be pretty surprising, but maybe the concluded they couldn't make NoA not suck without HW3, thus forcing them to give EAP guys a HW3 free upgrade, at which point not a ton of value in charging them for FSD separately.

Guess we'll see what comes out of it.

Can someone explain to me why Tesla would even do this? I don’t see the need for it.
Yeah, this is confusing. This isn't like a price change. Why give the 2019 folks free FSD? I paid 7k for EAP and I don't expect free FSD even.

Guy on reddit posted this- note he bought his in OCTOBER 2018

https://i.imgur.com/IV5cWmz.jpg

Which would suggest they've decided to just give everyone who paid for EAP free FSD, and anyone who paid for FSD will get a refund.

Which'd be pretty surprising, but maybe the concluded they couldn't make NoA not suck without HW3, thus forcing them to give EAP guys a HW3 free upgrade, at which point not a ton of value in charging them for FSD separately.

Guess we'll see what comes out of it.
If it's free FSD for people who paid the old high price for EAP then that does make some sense.

Ok that's slightly different from what OP posted. i.e. s/he said mentioned "free AP" in addition to the above.

you will be getting a free AP or FSD upgrade, depending on what you currently have. 2018 deliveries get nothing.

I honestly think tesla workers are just confused. I think you will only get the FSD features you paid for that are part of EAP.

Why would they just start handing out FSD? Makes no sense!

Why would 2018 people get nothing and 2019 people get refunds etc? I don't see what this is compensating for? Early buyers of Performance cars were able to trade in Free Supercharging for $5k, but they had to give something up.