Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 deliveries get free AP/FSD upgrade, 2018 deliveries get nothing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm assuming you took delivery in 2018.

If so you got an additional $3750 tax credit.
That was mostly offset by the price drops on Jan 2, and more than offset by the additional drops since then. But I'm not complaining about that. What I do find extremely unfair is this though:
Now you might be upset that someone who purchased took delivery in Jan is now going to get AP if they don't have anything or FSD if they have EAP.
Exactly. I can understand if they do this for cars that have not yet been delivered, but retroactively giving something away to all 2019 buyers while charging 2018 buyers $3000 or $4000 for the same thing feels like they are giving early adopters the finger.

Reactions: dragonxt
I'm assuming you took delivery in 2018.

If so you got an additional $3750 tax credit.

Now you might be upset that someone who purchased took delivery in Jan is now going to get AP if they don't have anything or FSD if they have EAP. But, we don't know the official status of 2018 owners. Elon tweeted that Tesla would clarify the situation later that day, but I haven't seen that clarification.

So I'd hold off on jumping to any conclusions for now.
I actually don't own any Tesla car. But I have been an EV supporter and a long-time observer of Tesla for many years.

That was mostly offset by the price drops on Jan 2, and more than offset by the additional drops since then. But I'm not complaining about that. What I do find extremely unfair is this though:
Exactly. I can understand if they do this for cars that have not yet been delivered, but retroactively giving something away to all 2019 buyers while charging 2018 buyers $3000 or $4000 for the same thing feels like they are giving early adopters the finger.

I don't think there is any reason to stress about it yet.

They said that would clarify, and we're still waiting for the clarification.

Personally I'm surprised that they did anything for 2019 buyers as none of them have HW3, and FSD requires HW3.

So that means committing money to update them.

It's not like a free SW freebie.

With hardware people are used to simply having bad timing. Like I was telling people not to buy a Tesla (after the new year) until March/April when HW3 was announced. We had plenty of knowledge that it was coming sometime in the first half of 2019.

So I fail to see any rationality in giving people that took delivery in 2019 anything.

Now they're in a pickle because they upset 2018 owners.

Imo these changes are similar to what every manufacturer does for new model years.

IE: A 2018 Model year car is released with optional equipment. 2019 Model Year, the optional equipment becomes standard. You don't go back to the dealer/manufacturer demanding a refund or the equipment installed for your 2018 model

It would be awesome to get free AP since I did not buy EAP though. Here's to hoping!
You do realize every manufacturer announces such changes like months ahead, right? Right? You don’t go back to the dealer/manufacturer because you know if you get a 2018 you are getting it for a discount knowing what the 2019 will come with in terms of standard equipment but comes with lesser discount.

Personally I'm surprised that they did anything for 2019 buyers as none of them have HW3, and FSD requires HW3.

So that means committing money to update them.

It's not like a free SW freebie.
At this point I wouldn't be suprised if they re-defined FSD yet again into something that can be implemented on HW2/2.5 to wiggle out of the hardware upgrades. The groundwork has already been laid with the wishy washy "billions of miles of experience" fine print.

Reactions: outie
I seriously dont understand all the teeth gnashing over the price cut. Car manufacturers do this EVERY SINGLE MONTH. ALL of them. Has no one complaining never bought a new car before?? The ONLY difference is, for every other manufacturer other than Tesla, the price cut comes in the form of either a Manufacturer to Consumer rebate, or a Manufacturer to DEALER rebate that the dealer gets to decide whether they want to pass on or not.

EVERY... SINGLE...MONTH.. some car dealer is saying "December to remember! Special deals on our cars NOW" and offering a 3k rebate on some model or another. Other times, the money is hidden and you dont know about it unless you negotiate for it.. then YOU get it but jane / john down the block doesnt.

Because tesla sells direct, and everyone gets the same price, all new purchasers get the "rebate". ANYONE who has EVER bought a new car at a dealership has likely taken part in some rebate or another... and the next month when the manufacturer moves the rebate from car line A to car line B, people buying that month PAY MORE. In fact, EVERY single person who walks in pays a different price... and you never know if John negotiator got it for less than you.

If those of you complaining were not aware that every car manufacturer does this, you just didnt have the transparency to see it, well now you know. I bet most of you know this, but your like "tesla is different". Yes, they ARE. Everyone who buys on X day pays X price. They are transparent about the price, so you know that John who bought 2 months after paid less (or more).

Stop acting like this is different than any other price drop. There is no other business where people retroactively get discounts because the price went down, but people expect it from Tesla for some reason.

I seriously dont understand all the teeth gnashing over the price cut. Car manufacturers do this EVERY SINGLE MONTH. ALL of them. Has no one complaining never bought a new car before?? The ONLY difference is, for every other manufacturer other than Tesla, the price cut comes in the form of either a Manufacturer to Consumer rebate, or a Manufacturer to DEALER rebate that the dealer gets to decide whether they want to pass on or not.

EVERY... SINGLE...MONTH.. some car dealer is saying "December to remember! Special deals on our cars NOW" and offering a 3k rebate on some model or another. Other times, the money is hidden and you dont know about it unless you negotiate for it.. then YOU get it but jane / john down the block doesnt.

Because tesla sells direct, and everyone gets the same price, all new purchasers get the "rebate". ANYONE who has EVER bought a new car at a dealership has likely taken part in some rebate or another... and the next month when the manufacturer moves the rebate from car line A to car line B, people buying that month PAY MORE. In fact, EVERY single person who walks in pays a different price... and you never know if John negotiator got it for less than you.

If those of you complaining were not aware that every car manufacturer does this, you just didnt have the transparency to see it, well now you know. I bet most of you know this, but your like "tesla is different". Yes, they ARE. Everyone who buys on X day pays X price. They are transparent about the price, so you know that John who bought 2 months after paid less (or more).

Stop acting like this is different than any other price drop. There is no other business where people retroactively get discounts because the price went down, but people expect it from Tesla for some reason.

Rebates and dealer discounts don’t affect resale the way that MsRP reductions do. The bottom line is that those of us who bought last year paid far more for our cars which are also now worth far less due to Tesla slashing the prices by thousands of dollars in less than 90 days.

Rebates and dealer discounts don’t affect resale the way that MsRP reductions do. The bottom line is that those of us who bought last year paid far more for our cars which are also now worth far less due to Tesla slashing the prices by thousands of dollars in less than 90 days.

I think its really the frequency of them that's disconcerting.

There was the P3D one where Tesla gave buyers before the change a $5K refund if they gave up free supercharging.

Then there was the end of the year price correction to deal with the tax credit being cut in half.

Now there is this one.

Hopefully that's the last for the rest of the year.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
Good to know there are 13 confirmed entitled idiots floating around. I'm sure more cry babies will sign up.

But, Tesla folds for entitled idiots more than any other company I've ever seen.

Did you see how fast they folded for Fred?

I think it traces back to Elon being a bit of a narcissist and liking attention. Where he wants people to like him.

This. The January 2019 delivery wall doesn't make sense. A December 31 vehicle was actually $2000 more than a January 1 vehicle. The tax credit has nothing to do with this remediation on Tesla's side of it. Either say hate it for the customers prior to February 28, or remediate it for all effected customers. Don't just pick a random date. There will always be a customer that purchased the vehicle on the day before the cutoff, who will cause an uproar. Tesla should have learned this from the Performance +/- refund issues. Without having model year differentiations, the arbitrary line in the sand approach doesn't work.

But, Tesla folds for entitled idiots more than any other company I've ever seen.

I think it traces back to Elon being a bit of a narcissist and liking attention. Where he wants people to like him.

I never had a ton of respect for Fred but what little there was burned on that day. He never said a word against Tesla until he was personally affected by changes.

• Love
Reactions: jsrawa and brkaus

B-I-N-G-O.

He's a softie. Wants people to be pleased with...quite literally...his baby. He starts letting some of the suits make decisions and nobody is getting ANYTHING.

It's that personal touch that makes Tesla what it is - good and bad.

I’ve got a 2018 LR AWD with no self driving capabilities.
If I wanted to buy AP it’s $4000 and then upgrade to FSD it’s $7000 so $11000 total.
When it came to the EAP trial I liked it but couldn’t justify the cost as my commute really didn’t lend its self to using those features.

Clearly made some mistakes as all I really wanted was the $35000 upgraded with EAP back in 2016 when I reserved. I ended up choosing to invest in the battery and wanted a touch more speed so got AWD when it came time to buy. Feeling a little shafted but it is what it is. Some AP love would have been nice...