Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 delivery - Power of Attorney?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I ordered my LR AWD in Los Angeles on 10/13. At the time of ordering there were a few in inventory but I wanted slightly different specs - I was told 2 weeks, then a few days later 6-8 weeks. It's now been 10 weeks and no sign of a VIN - the dealer says it's expected at the very end of 2019 when I'll be out of town.

They also say a Power of Attorney can't be used to take delivery - I have to be there in person - not because of the transfer of sale but the odometer disclosure can't be signed by a POA (I do have a lawyer that could draft a more comprehensive POA than the DMV form if necessary).

I'm so frustrated by the mis-information and also that I'll be out the federal tax credit. I'm also frustrated because I've already sunk money into the electrical work and installed the Tesla connector. I do really want the car but the company's policies are infuriating - and I was curious if anyone else has the same experience or has advice on taking delivery through a friend while out of town the last few days of the year.

Any advice? Or words of solace? I've seen in threads that it seems other people HAVE taken delivery using Power of Attorney so I'm still curious about a workaround. Thanks...

i would head into a local store and see if there are any inventory cars which you could get sooner. Most are pre-production, but if you look in the:
California, The Land That Time Forgot
and
SR/SR+ Waiting Room

Threads, people have been able to get their car quicker by buying an Inventory car instead of their originally ordered one.

Just this evening, someone got a Stealth...and it seems there is a black one at the same location
California, The Land That Time Forgot

Reactions: lottadot
Just this evening, someone got a Stealth...and it seems there is a black one at the same location
California, The Land That Time Forgot[/QUOTE]
Arg, I talked to the manager yesterday who told me I'm first in line for any RED tesla in the entire region - obviously this isn't the case as this was just sold! I've been back and forth with them about inventory / demo models - a few weeks ago when I first checked in they offered a demo model but they told me that my car would be delivered in a few days (dec 10)... I'm really kicking myself that I didn't go for the demo now (it had different wheels and 200 miles)...

Apart from the advise mentioned above (on logistic work arounds), a word on the “solace” you had solicited.

When you get your car, these sorts of irritations/frustrations aren’t something I can say will 100% vanish, BUT...the love (word used by design) value and contentment your going to experience over time with the car will cause those annoyances to be pushed far into the background.

In the foreground, there’s going to wind up a whole lot of...well...great!

Every time you get an over the air update and new feature functionality; whenever you depress the accelerator petal, skip a heart beat and breath in the instantaneous response; in the instances where you pass a gas station, or super charge, or just...plug in at home and realize what your “realizing” in savings; whenever you round a bend and feel the hug of the road that is inherent in your “car,” or when you find yourself nestled within your personal home theatre-watching Netflix (with your spouse or kids) and all the while experiencing great sound while you do...you’ll be subtly and regularly reminded of how it was worth it! You’ll pretty quickly become contented in knowing these features set your car apart in a way that there is no rival. I suspect you’ll find what you hope and thought was going to be a great car...IS...but...is also..something...more! You’re now too...part of the future of transportation..quite literally. Best wishes-Enjoy the ride!

95% of the stuff that Tesla reps tell you is just flat out wrong. There is no legal reason why a POA can’t take delivery of the car for you.

Just remember though that your POA will be responsible for inspecting the car to make sure everything is OK with it. And if there are issues with it your POA will have to decide whether or not to accept the car, and will have to try to negotiate with Tesla on what they are willing to do to fix any issues. This is not a simple process as many people have been given verbal assurances that Tesla would take care of things only to find out later that they would not. And Tesla is notorious for not wanting to put anything in writing. So you are asking a lot from your POA to take responsibility for this.

There are inventory cars in Southern California now. See if you can find something that matches your specs. You may have to drive to a further delivery center than your closest one but at least you will be able to take delivery of the car yourself.

There are cars listed in inventory that match my specs, but I was told that these are pre-production VINS and even though they show up in inventory they won't be delivered until 12/31. I got excited for a few hours but was told they're doing everything to get me a car... Just seems like it won't happen at this point so I guess I'll make peace with a 2020 delivery & lose the federal tax credit. I'd be happy to do POA and I've been pretty firm but they say the absolutely won't do that.

There are cars listed in inventory that match my specs, but I was told that these are pre-production VINS and even though they show up in inventory they won't be delivered until 12/31. I got excited for a few hours but was told they're doing everything to get me a car... Just seems like it won't happen at this point so I guess I'll make peace with a 2020 delivery & lose the federal tax credit. I'd be happy to do POA and I've been pretty firm but they say the absolutely won't do that.

Well, it’s up to you how much effort you want to put into this, but I still say you are getting bad information. I would try calling the main Tesla corporate number. Ask for sales, then when prompted for a zip code just don’t enter anything. After three attempts you will get routed to their Nevada call center where they have more credible reps that know what they are talking about. There is no reason for Tesla to refuse to accept a POA. It’s perfectly legal and people do it all the time on car deliveries. I think you just have an uninformed rep.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sherlo
I gave my friend a POA to close on my house while I was deployed. They r idiots. The bank is the guiding light, they r paying. The bank, told me what to put in POA, they approved. Tesla is seller, they dont set legal rules of sale.
I had a Tesla rep refuse to show me the car, mind you 75k car. I walked out with cash in hand. Bought from private person after test drive and Tesla telling me service records. They never tell the truth. If you believe a car salesmen, I'll sell u a M1 tank and deliver it.