Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Firmware Updates for AP 2.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I actually did the 8.4 update during the middle of the roadtrip during one of our overnight layovers. I took a deep breath of relief as I went out to my car the next morning sat in, shifted to drive and saw no blindspot errors.

8.4 is actually really good. The "red alert" blindspot line with the offending car shows really well. My release notes display. And overall things seem stable. A bit of phantom braking here and there, but nothing too bad. More or less, the major gripe is with the car being too nice and giving way to cars on your right even if they aren't trying to get in your lane.

It took a trip to the service center, and replace one of the repeaters. Now works great. While doing the inspection, they found a crack in the rim of the left front wheel. So probably all for the best.

The no-confirmation NOA works pretty well, but occasionally does something really silly. The lane tracking on local roads has gone backwards, with the car regularly now incorrectly diving for left turn lanes where before it handled them perfectly. All in all, great progress but a long way to go!

Here you go...

4C47AEDE-D27B-489A-8FF4-11BB7F25AAEE.jpeg 28490DA0-0690-4C1D-BB34-4755D0BBAF1F.jpeg E5F0D98D-AFC6-4BF2-B98D-887A0E6A3FF1.jpeg 5C7F843B-7AC0-437D-8E4E-BEFEDAACACD2.jpeg

Attachments

• CB14A1FC-EDE1-4A5B-A2E8-595DF0CCC0AE.jpeg
    CB14A1FC-EDE1-4A5B-A2E8-595DF0CCC0AE.jpeg
    484.2 KB · Views: 130
  • Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Anyone here with a Model is on AP 2.0 receive any of the 2019 Firmware updates?
I noticed on Tesla Fi that a few Model S's with AP 2.0 received 2019.4 and above but there are no posts anywhere about features that this provides to models with older hardware (late 2016 early 2017).
I am wondering if we are no longer going to get feature updates for our vehicles.
My first post! I have a Model S 100D, delivered to me on December 23. Yesterday, I picked up my Model S 100D from a minor repair service. I had also asked about firmware status, having not received any software updates since delivery. At the shop, a new update was loaded. Then, last night, yet another update came down. I’m now on version 2019.12 but haven’t yet checked on release notes or new features.

So it looks like 2019.12.1.1 is rolling out widely to the whole fleet including those of us who are on AP2.0. I installed it last night, and though its not really necessary for where I park (I don't think), activated Sentry mode in my work garage. I am mainly curious to see if this increases the rate of battery drain, but since it does not appear to require a formatted USB thumb drive I am wondering how it actually works in practice with our older hardware. If any of you has any experience with it (LOL hopefully not, I am not wishing for any of us to have to actually use it to catch a vandal or thief) I think many of us would like to hear how it worked. Virtually all of the reports on the internet are from AP 2.5 owners, I haven't seen one posting with AP 2.
I haven't tried any of the other features yet, so I can't report on the updated NoA etc.

I am mainly curious to see if this increases the rate of battery drain, but since it does not appear to require a formatted USB thumb drive I am wondering how it actually works in practice with our older hardware. If any of you has any experience with it (LOL hopefully not, I am not wishing for any of us to have to actually use it to catch a vandal or thief) I think many of us would like to hear how it worked. Virtually all of the reports on the internet are from AP 2.5 owners, I haven't seen one posting with AP 2.
It works the same, except the video is sent to Tesla (since we can't save to USB drive). It is in the release notes.

Now, how do we retrieve the clip should we need it? That remains to be answered :)

It works the same, except the video is sent to Tesla (since we can't save to USB drive). It is in the release notes.

Now, how do we retrieve the clip should we need it? That remains to be answered :)

No video is being sent to Tesla. It's not working yet in any way, shape or form on 2.0. Except it does indicate events detected on the IC, so at least you know to walk around your car, but other then that no video or anything is being captured anywhere.

That is what I was afraid of, though I had read elsewhere what arcus wrote above. This may mainly be a fancier alarm system at this point, but I hope what arcus and others are saying will be worked out.mmaybe eventually we can get some webcam functionality and video sentry mode.
thank you both for your input.

No video is being sent to Tesla. It's not working yet in any way, shape or form on 2.0. Except it does indicate events detected on the IC, so at least you know to walk around your car, but other then that no video or anything is being captured anywhere.
Yup, that is what I was hearing out at the GF. Someone said, it's kind of like my neighbors home...… a sign out front that reads "Protected by ADT" when they don't even have an alarm, not even a dog, and no gun either. :D But hey it's a start and maybe scare off some folks. Looking forward to a more complete ability to see video someday.

This is what I was referring to:

IMG_7861.jpg

I have no way to verify if any data is actually sent or not, so I will take your word for it - you definitely have more experience/knowledge on the inner works of Tesla :) I do hope to have some parity in future between our "old" AP 2 and newer cars. Maybe after HW3 swap, who knows. At least the HAL can act as a deterrent or an ADT sign in the yard ;)

I read it too, BigDog is knowledgeable though. Someone here (hopefully not one of us) will have an experience to share with this at some point. But wait: HW 3 swap?
Are we getting an HW3 swap, even without FSD? That would be awesome.

I have no way to verify if any data is actually sent or not
I just did some experiments on 2019.12.1.1 at home with my S100 MCU1/Ap2.0 connected to my hone WiFi:
USB Stick with TeslaCam folder is actually recognized, sentry mode events try to write to the USB but instead of recordings I only get broken files, all about 600 bytes.
Also, I didn't see any significant traffic from my car on my WiFi, so I very much doubt video upload to Tesla is actually happening.

• Informative
Reactions: arcus
I just did some experiments on 2019.12.1.1 at home with my S100 MCU1/Ap2.0 connected to my hone WiFi:
USB Stick with TeslaCam folder is actually recognized, sentry mode events try to write to the USB but instead of recordings I only get broken files, all about 600 bytes.
Also, I didn't see any significant traffic from my car on my WiFi, so I very much doubt video upload to Tesla is actually happening.
Check your router traffic in a day or two. We tried Sentry Mode on an AP 2.5 car and it worked fine a couple of times. Then a week later, it failed to write any files but we noticed later that the car uploaded nearly 100 MB of data to Tesla. We assumed it uploaded the files from the Sentry events but couldn't confirm.

Just got 2019.12.1.1 and it broke autopilot on the freeway. Constantly phantom slowing (on any stretch of freeway, not just underpasses etc), fading out of lane, awkward lane position far right on turns. Works flawlessly on city streets (including turns, congestion, lane changes)

I've spoken twice on the phone with support and they blame the latest firmware. Tried soft/hard resets and wiping sensors. Tried about 50 times on multiple freeways/highways around me to no avail.

Anyone else?