Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Firmware Updates for AP 2.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got 2019.12.1.1 and it broke autopilot on the freeway. Constantly phantom slowing (on any stretch of freeway, not just underpasses etc), fading out of lane, awkward lane position far right on turns. Works flawlessly on city streets (including turns, congestion, lane changes)

I've spoken twice on the phone with support and they blame the latest firmware. Tried soft/hard resets and wiping sensors. Tried about 50 times on multiple freeways/highways around me to no avail.

Anyone else?
I hopes that’s not the case with my AP2. My car was driving great for the past several months on the old firmware. Now Im curious to test it out after just downloading the new version this evening.

Hmmm...I haven't had a chance to use it on the highway, but it seems to be unchanged when I use it on local streets driving to and from work, will try it on the highway for sure. I wanted to report that I left my model S on Sentry Mode for approximately 8 hours in my hospital garage yesterday, and it used at least 10 kWh (about 30 miles of range lost), the temps were in the 50's for most of the day. Not a huge deal, but something to consider if this turns out to be a consistent level of battery drain.

Just got 2019.12.1.1 and it broke autopilot on the freeway. Constantly phantom slowing (on any stretch of freeway, not just underpasses etc), fading out of lane, awkward lane position far right on turns. Works flawlessly on city streets (including turns, congestion, lane changes)

I've spoken twice on the phone with support and they blame the latest firmware. Tried soft/hard resets and wiping sensors. Tried about 50 times on multiple freeways/highways around me to no avail.

Anyone else?
Hmm... I have quite the opposite experience - it seems to be more refined than previous version(s). I've been very pleased with 2018.50.6 - it was solid and predictable. When I've got 2019.8.5, things became rather iffy - ghost braking, hugging the left part of the lane before centering itself in etc.

I've had 2019.12.1.1 for 2 days only, but I've had plenty of chances to put it through its paces (over 300 miles so far, mostly in very bad weather conditions). My quick observations:

1) Ghost braking is almost gone - the car still errs on the side of caution at times, but after watching Autonomous Day presentation I have better understanding of principles behind this behavior. I'd rather have it on alert than miss a car veering into my lane.

2) Handling wide on-ramps is vastly improved - 8.5 was already better than 50.6, but this is almost flawless. The car hardly centers itself in the wider lane. No more feeling like a jerk when the car does so ;)

3) Giving way for merging vehicles - I am really impressed with the way it works now. Smooth response (no sudden braking or veering to the left/right), almost human-like. When I am half a car ahead, business as usual, the car will continue at set speed. When the other vehicle is slightly ahead, gradual slowdown to let them merge in.

4) NoA - it makes me feel slightly more comfortable using it now as compared to previous release. One issue that I found (and reported to Tesla, haven't heard back yet) is mishandling the Texas Managed Lanes. Maybe it is a fault of current map version, but the car initiated a lane change onto the managed lane without differentiating that these are rather "special" - at the time I was travelling, the lane was configured for opposite traffic direction. There is barrier with flashing lights to make people aware of this. Would I not intervene and cancel the lane change I could end up on the head-on collision course! So a reminder to everyone that this is not self-driving car just yet.

5) Bad weather - we had some severe weather going through DFW and unfortunately I had to be on the road running errands in places where I hardly venture to. There were few occasions where I could not see the road ahead of me (bar none the markings), yet the car did excellent staying in the lane and adjusting speed for vehicles ahead that were slowing down. I like to have that expensive 2nd pair of eyes in situations like this (I was holding onto steering wheel with both hands and my foot was close to the pedal, just in case).
There was only one time where I've got a message that "blind spot detection temporarily unavailable" or something like this. No surprise, as the weather was as in all the rain buckets were overthrown in the heavens, so the visibility was almost zero.

6) Auto wipers - while I see a gradual improvements (they engage quickly once there is even a drizzle) there's still more to be done, especially at night. If the rain is predictable, they do a good job. Whenever it changes from regular to massive downpour they don't seem to be able to differentiate between the two. I've always had them set to the 2nd (more sensitive) setting, 1st one never worked quite well for me anyway. So there's room to improve, for sure.

Now the not-so-pretty:

1) stability - I've been always perplexed by the multitude of posts about screen going black, frequently hanging or rebooting, stuttering sound etc. Perplexed, because I've never experienced this myself. Until now. 12.1.1 is buggy as hell in this aspect. I've observed all the mentioned phenomena numerous times in the short period of time I had a chance to work with the latest firmware.

2) maps - there still seem to be a disparity between the map information and real life situation. Speed limits that were reporting correctly before are not accurate (dated). I don't recall which update had it fixed (probably one prior to 50.6), but it is downright annoying to see 55 where it is 65 or 60 where there is 70 or 75. I've also noticed that the arrow representing the car on the navi display seems to be hovering to the right of the travel lane a lot. In few places the car was trying to navigate on non-existing roads or using the exit that was moved a year or so ago. So this has to get fixed, hopefully soon.

3) sentry mode - it is really power hungry. When left unattended it can quickly surprise the owner with larger than expected loss of charge. Plus, it does not do much for us with MCU1/AP2 combo anyway ;)

Despite the bugs and reboots I think this update is a major step forward and I am rather pleased with the progress.

In case you wonder, yes, I always reboot (full reboot) of IC and MCU after software update, so I've done this with 2019.12.1.1. as well :)

I just did some experiments on 2019.12.1.1 at home with my S100 MCU1/Ap2.0 connected to my hone WiFi:
USB Stick with TeslaCam folder is actually recognized, sentry mode events try to write to the USB but instead of recordings I only get broken files, all about 600 bytes.
Also, I didn't see any significant traffic from my car on my WiFi, so I very much doubt video upload to Tesla is actually happening.
How can you tell it’s recognized? I’m on AP2.0 and put in the USB drive (properly formatted) and my car doesn’t do anything at all. I’m not familiar with what screen you’d see it on such that the car recognizes it’s there.

Thank you in advance.

Thank you Arcus, this is a very helpful post. I look forward to trying NoA on the highway soon. I also noted already that Sentry appears to be a power hog, during a normal work day my battery attrition is only a few miles, yesterday I lost at least 30 miles in 8 hours.
So your post suggests that this may be a real characteristic of the feature ( an N 0f 2!)

How can you tell it’s recognized? I’m on AP2.0 and put in the USB drive (properly formatted) and my car doesn’t do anything at all. I’m not familiar with what screen you’d see it on such that the car recognizes it’s there.

Thank you in advance.
No way to tell in the car; When looking at the sticks contents after sentry mode triggered, there are files written to the TeslaCam folder on the stick, so the car obviously recognized the stick.
As a side node, there's another difference the existance of the TeslaCam folder makes on a stick: If the folder exists, Audio files on the stick won't be found/used.

I have 2017 ModelS 75 (July 2017 build) . No dash cam . 2.0 Hardware.
Received 12.1.1 with Sentry mode now enabled. BUT, I cannot record onto Thumb drive ( properly formatted to fat32) nor get iphone notice that the Sentry mode has detected a Break-in or a disturbance as I bang on the window simulating a break-in. I contacted Tesla chat and found out that 2.0 does not support Sentry mode although the big red button on the screen indicates that Sentry mode is on. They did not identify that the Sentry mode info is being sent to Tesla. Only that it is not available. I question why it is listed now on my security screen as available.They had no answer. Anybody able to engage Sentry mode with new update and similiar configuration?

I have 2017 ModelS 75 (July 2017 build) . No dash cam . 2.0 Hardware.
Received 12.1.1 with Sentry mode now enabled. BUT, I cannot record onto Thumb drive ( properly formatted to fat32) nor get iphone notice that the Sentry mode has detected a Break-in or a disturbance as I bang on the window simulating a break-in. I contacted Tesla chat and found out that 2.0 does not support Sentry mode although the big red button on the screen indicates that Sentry mode is on. They did not identify that the Sentry mode info is being sent to Tesla. Only that it is not available. I question why it is listed now on my security screen as available.They had no answer. Anybody able to engage Sentry mode with new update and similiar configuration?

I’ve said it repeatedly it does not work with AP2.0 in ANY fashion.

So it looks like the latest update, 2019.20.4 not being pushed to AP 2.0 so far. Any speculation as to whether we will get some version of this update? My last update was 2019.20.2.5. I suspect we will not get enhanced summon.
The latest update is mainly the Beach Buggy game that MCU1 cars won't get. It's not really anything to do with AP. We haven't received the 2019.20.4 update on our MCU1 AP2.5 car or our MCU1 AP2 car.

So it looks like they ARE pushing it to us,
2019.20.4.2 66625e9, so let us know if you get some release notes, if its really just Beach Buggy game not very interesting. I am mainly curious to see if we are getting to the end of viable updates with our current hardware not whether we are getting new games or bug fixes only.

So it looks like they ARE pushing it to us,
2019.20.4.2 66625e9, so let us know if you get some release notes, if its really just Beach Buggy game not very interesting. I am mainly curious to see if we are getting to the end of viable updates with our current hardware not whether we are getting new games or bug fixes only.

No beach buggy game for us, sorry!

So I have been driving with 2019.32.11 under AP 2.0 with my early 2017 75D now for several days. Other than the improved visual detection of double and broken lines on the road I have not seen much of a difference in EAP performance, also I have not yet been able to get advanced summon to actually work, though the button appears on my iPhone app. When I click on advanced summon I have been getting "advanced summon not ready" message. Any one else in this group with vehicles of this vintage have a similar experience?

I have 2017S75D, EAP 2.0 with FSD purchased.
I concur with your assessment except i do not have the advanced summon button even showing in my app.
I am now just installing 2019.31.11.1 which came down this a.m.
I'll see if any further changes

AP2, FSD purchased, no FSD3 upgrade yet. 2019.32.11
No Smart Summon.
Nor can I find a button in my phone app to "vent" the windows. How could that function be dependent on MCU2?
I do now have a Home Link button in the Phone app
(32.11.1 installing now)
Why can't Tesla have the decency to list the new features that we red-headed stepchildren (AP2 owners) are denied, so we don't get angry while searching for features that are announced but are nowhere to be found?
For us, this software update does not warrant the designation of a "Version" release

AP2, FSD purchased, no FSD3 upgrade yet. 2019.32.11
No Smart Summon.
Nor can I find a button in my phone app to "vent" the windows. How could that function be dependent on MCU2?
I do now have a Home Link button in the Phone app
(32.11.1 installing now)
Why can't Tesla have the decency to list the new features that we red-headed stepchildren (AP2 owners) are denied, so we don't get angry while searching for features that are announced but are nowhere to be found?
For us, this software update does not warrant the designation of a "Version" release
Just installed 2019.11.1 on July 2017 S75D AP 2.0 MCU 1 with FSD purchased but not yet installed. No Enhanced Summon button. I do have the vent button (pic attached)
I was under the impression that AP 2.0 with EAP should get advanced summon. It seems although we paid over $100 k for the S the lesser priced 3 has more capabilities? Hmmmm, doesn't seem right to make your higher price vehicle less capable.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191002-100313_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20191002-100313_Tesla.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 53
So I have been driving with 2019.32.11 under AP 2.0 with my early 2017 75D now for several days. Other than the improved visual detection of double and broken lines on the road I have not seen much of a difference in EAP performance, also I have not yet been able to get advanced summon to actually work, though the button appears on my iPhone app. When I click on advanced summon I have been getting "advanced summon not ready" message. Any one else in this group with vehicles of this vintage have a similar experience?
For AP, I've noticed that the car starts accelerating a lot quicker when in stop and go traffic.

For Summon, have you tried the Come To Me option? Try holding it down instead of just touching it once.