Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Free Unlimited Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all! Looking at buying a used 2019 Model X P100D from a local dealer, not Tesla. It's one of the models that was sold with free unlimited supercharging for the first owner only. Anyone know if, since the ownership transfer would be happening outside of Tesla, will the free supercharging stay with the car? Also, I'm going in for a test drive tomorrow, is there any way to verify in the car menus that it has the free unlimited supercharging?

Thanks all!

Very unlikely. Even the older cars that wasn't first owner you'd be lucky to retain it if it went through a 3rd party dealer. As soon as you setup your account for Tesla and add the car to your account it will likely be gone. Without an active account you probably can't supercharge, can't book appointments for service etc. And if you want to charge you'll have to add a credit card.

I bought a 2017 MX that had Unlimited supercharging. I was told that it would still stay with the Vehicle as I bought from a Private Party.
After to 2nd Supercharge they shut it off and required a Credit Card on file. Took it on a 1146 mile road trip and cost me $92.00 In Super charges.

I bought a 2017 MX that had Unlimited supercharging. I was told that it would still stay with the Vehicle as I bought from a Private Party.
After to 2nd Supercharge they shut it off and required a Credit Card on file. Took it on a 1146 mile road trip and cost me $92.00 In Super charges.
do you have more details? who did you buy it from? when was it mfg'd

Very unlikely. Even the older cars that wasn't first owner you'd be lucky to retain it if it went through a 3rd party dealer. As soon as you setup your account for Tesla and add the car to your account it will likely be gone. Without an active account you probably can't supercharge, can't book appointments for service etc. And if you want to charge you'll have to add a credit card.
in theory, 3rd party should not matter as long as it was not tesla

...verify in the car menus that it has the free unlimited supercharging?...

Different people might tell you to check at all the wrong places: verbal assurance, policy (if the car is old enough by certain year...or it stays with VIN, not a particuler owner...), screen capture, car's screen... but what you need to check is whether the Free Unlimited Supercharging was legally documented in "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement" as either "0" or "Included".

upload_2020-9-29_15-19-22.png

Last edited:
Reactions: KBaoBao
Hey all! Looking at buying a used 2019 Model X P100D from a local dealer, not Tesla. It's one of the models that was sold with free unlimited supercharging for the first owner only. Anyone know if, since the ownership transfer would be happening outside of Tesla, will the free supercharging stay with the car? Also, I'm going in for a test drive tomorrow, is there any way to verify in the car menus that it has the free unlimited supercharging?

Thanks all!
Free Supercharging will not transfer on any 2019s. It was only transferrable for vehicles ordered by January 15, 2017 and delivered by April 1, 2017 (even then, it's become more difficult to tell unless buying from the original owner, as you'd have to confirm Tesla never took possession via auction or trade-in).