Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 IRS Form 8911 Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased the H&R Block tax software at the end of last year, before I knew that it didn't include form 8911. I talked with H&R Block support and they said that I had 2 options: 1) electronically submit my taxes using their software now (without form 8911) and file an amended return later OR 2) use their software to figure out my taxes, manually fill out Form 8911 and then alter the 1040 and Schedule 3 forms and mail them in.

No matter what, I need to fill out the 8911 form and I'm hoping that you can help me with a couple of questions:
  1. The 8911 instructions for line 15b seem to say that for 2019, you add 1040 line 13a and Schedule 3 lines 2-6, which is cyclical, since I'm filling out form 8911 in order to find the amount to enter on Schedule 3 line 6 (which they tell me to include). So what should I do here???
  2. After answering the previous question, I will be able to fill out form 8911 and then I need to put the final value onto Schedule 3 line 6. Since I have 2 forms 8936 and 8911 that are not listed, do I just place an X in Line 6 Box C and then list both forms separated by a comma (i.e. "8936, 8911") and a total of the 2 forms in the box at the end?
Thanks in advance for your help and I really wish that H&R Block handled both forms like TurboTax does, and they will be losing me as a customer next year.

I’ve never used the H&R Block software, but doesn’t it receive updates from them? If form 8911 isn’t in their software yet it should be added in the near future. Just make sure you have the latest updates installed. That’s how it works with TurboTax.

• Disagree
Reactions: kpeng
I’ve never used the H&R Block software, but doesn’t it receive updates from them? If form 8911 isn’t in their software yet it should be added in the near future. Just make sure you have the latest updates installed. That’s how it works with TurboTax.

I talked to H&R Block support and they have no plans to support form 8911, so I'm left with my initial 2 questions for help.

...The 8911 instructions for line 15b seem to say that for 2019, you add 1040 line 13a and Schedule 3 lines 2-6, which is cyclical, since I'm filling out form 8911 in order to find the amount to enter on Schedule 3 line 6 (which they tell me to include). So what should I do here???...

I am no tax expert but I can guess what the IRS wants to know.

For the chicken and egg cyclical issue, I would do the tax as if there's no 8911 first.

Part 3 of 8911 wants to know how much you would get the credit.

To determine whether it can give you 8911 credit or not, it wants to know whether you have enough tax liability or not BEFORE you claim the 8911 credit just yet.

If before you claim 8911 credit and you don't have enough tax to pay, then there's no point in claiming the form 8911 for additional credits.

...Since I have 2 forms 8936 and 8911 that are not listed, do I just place an X in Line 6 Box C and then list both forms separated by a comma (i.e. "8936, 8911") and a total of the 2 forms in the box at the end?...

Exactly! That's what I would specify as I would check box C.

Good luck!

I checked my tax return with TurboTax but I don't want to make suggestions because it depends on several things like your income and tax so my return may be different than yours. I also noticed that it made calculations to determine if I am eligible for 8911 tax credit like Tam said and does not look that simple. Also, looks like AMT (or TMT: Tentative Minimum Tax) is also involve for Form 8911 eligibility. Arghhhhh!!!!!!

I can't believe H&R Block excluded IRS Form 8911 because it's not that simple and that's the whole purpose of writing software to make their customers' life easier. It looks like you should be qualified for a refund directly from H&R Block due to their stupidity. I would try to fight for it a little bit.

Peter

Reactions: goletaspring
Always have used TT and it always included these forms. One more reason to use it no matter what other complaints people have about it. Wonder what drives HR to program forms or not?

TT lets you manually override anything on forms and enter your own data. Can’t do you the same for HR? All you need is your total tax liability and then enter the credit manually (using the 8911 form instructions).

Never used HR, so just a suggestion...

Yes you can (they told me to do this), but then you can't efile.

I like HR Block, and 99/100 times they have all the forms I need, but it's silly to exclude one that thousands of average people will need. That said, I learned a lesson about checking the vendor website for form support before I buy next year.

Always have used TT and it always included these forms. One more reason to use it no matter what other complaints people have about it. Wonder what drives HR to program forms or not?

TT lets you manually override anything on forms and enter your own data. Can’t do you the same for HR? All you need is your total tax liability and then enter the credit manually (using the 8911 form instructions).

Never used HR, so just a suggestion...

Had to buy TT, which did get it this week. No other tax sw vendor I’ve looked at has that form.

I did a similar search and found that the FreeTaxUSA website offering, has the form. I have no experience with FreeTaxUSA and I'm more that a little skeptical about putting all of my tax information online into their system.

Does anybody have experience using FreeTaxUSA, is it safe?!?!?!

Last edited:
...TT lets you manually override anything on forms and enter your own data. Can’t do you the same for HR?...

Correct: H&R Block does not allow extra form insertion for its users. That means manual filing and no e-file if users need a form that it doesn't have.

I chose H&R Block because it has had EV tax credit form 8936 quite early each January while owners of Turbo Tax were complaining each February that although the public form has been on the IRS website but Turbo Tax still drags its feet.

So I guess, for those who don't need form 8911, H&R Block is good to file your EV tax credit 8936 early in January.

But for those who need form 8911, Turbo Tax is a good choice because although you have to wait for EV tax credit 8936, at least they are both supported.

In summary, life needs to be perfect for once!

I e-filed with H&R Block. I signed up for the deluxe version and added CPA review for $19.99. After I finished and submitted, I got an automated email saying who my CPA was reviewing my federal and state filing. I paid for that service to make sure I wasn’t missing anything. I usually pay $350 to my previous guy I used. Decided to save a few bucks and try to do my own taxes with a little oversight.

I emailed him my issue (8911 issue) a couple days ago and he said upload it and he will attached and get it filed. Done.