Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 IRS Form 8911 Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I emailed him my issue (8911 issue) a couple days ago and he said upload it and he will attached and get it filed. Done.

So just to be clear, you only paid an additional $19.99 for the CPA review and then you are mailing him a completed 8911 form? He will then prepare an amended return and you have nothing else to do and no additional amount to pay? He's also going to submit / mail in the amended return as well?

Thanks in advance for your information as I'm leaning towards going this route now.

I'm trying to amend my 2018 return for 8911 and it doesn't sound like TurboTax is planning to go back and update. Ugh so frustrating.

I downloaded the form from the IRS website and started working on it myself. Don’t feel like waiting for TurboTax to get their act together for adding 8911 to an amended 2018 return.

• Disagree
Reactions: kpeng
CreditKarma doesn't support form 8911 either....

Aw sorry about that - I was reading something about it on another site and I guess it was the regular EV credit that was being discussed in the context of credit karma.

I used credit karma but I wasn’t eligible for 8911 due to the other credits I got this year for my Solar Panels install. It threw my AMT past the threshold to qualify for 8911.

So just to be clear, you only paid an additional $19.99 for the CPA review and then you are mailing him a completed 8911 form? He will then prepare an amended return and you have nothing else to do and no additional amount to pay? He's also going to submit / mail in the amended return as well?

Thanks in advance for your information as I'm leaning towards going this route now.

Yes that is correct. He is also reviewing it to make sure I didn’t miss anything as it relates to possible credits, exemptions, etc.

Reactions: Stach
So what’s the timing for choosing the $19.99 CPA option, right before you e-File, after you e-File?

As you go along you have the option to chose additional services (of course they try to upcharge you from the “free” version just like TurboTax). You can do so all the way up until you hit send at the end. I chose Deluxe Pro (some additional help and prompts as you go along to include filing state) and the also added the CPA review right before I filed.

I did a similar search and found that the FreeTaxUSA website offering, has the form. I have no experience with FreeTaxUSA and I'm more that a little skeptical about putting all of my tax information online into their system.

Does anybody have experience using FreeTaxUSA, is it safe?!?!?!
I use them and really like their product. I used to file directly through IRS's freefillableforms.com and my state's department of revenue's website, but gave up and switched to FreeTaxUSA when my state ended its free e-file program. FreeTaxUSA has the right amount of handholding for me (relatively little, which I like), and it's inexpensive. It handled both the 8911 and the 8936 no problem.

I used H&R Block for my e-filing. I selected the CPA review option for that price.
Nothing against TurboTax or H&R Block, but I deal with tax issues & preparers all day every day for my job, and $20 buys you about 5 minutes of time (if that) with anyone who I would even remotely trust to handle my tax prep beyond typing numbers into their software. You get what you pay for.

Nothing against TurboTax or H&R Block, but I deal with tax issues & preparers all day every day for my job, and $20 buys you about 5 minutes of time (if that) with anyone who I would even remotely trust to handle my tax prep beyond typing numbers into their software. You get what you pay for.

isn't it a CPA review. not the store "agents"

isn't it a CPA review. not the store "agents"

I agree with regards to having a “preparer” who does seasonal work for Jackson Hewitt or H&R Block do my taxes. That is not what this is. I did my own taxes this year. Usually I have my CPA do it and pay him $350. This year my tax situation is not as complicated (sold my rental properties, changes in tax law with the 2018 changes).

It is a CPA who is not a “preparer” that does the review. When you select this option, the CPA’s pic and bio/credentials is shown along with his/her office phone, address and fax.

• Informative
Reactions: Stach and vickh
Do you need an 8911 for a home installation? I would think the 5695 (Residential Energy Credit) would suffice.

As others have mentioned, form 5695 is mainly for energy efficient HVAC systems and home renewable energy generation. Thanks to that credit I got a decent chunk of change back after I replaced the geothermal unit in my house in 2017. Form 8911 is specifically for “alternative fuel vehicle refueling” just like the title of the form suggests.