Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 IRS Form 8936

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m waiting on the 2018 version of form 8911:
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8911.pdf

Don’t expect any of these forms to be available for another 2 weeks at least.

Ditto. Would've been nice if they'd let you take the credit on your 2019 return for spend in either 18 or 19 to avoid all the churn on both ends of dealing with amended returns, but that would've made too much sense I guess.

I interpreted the OP as wanting cash out of the IRS (given the wording) for the credit which I understand is not possible; in fact the credit could be zero depending on how much ones owe to the IRS.

Last edited:
What loan?

If you normally get a refund from the IRS it means you're giving the government an interest-free loan all year.

Which is dumb to do but millions and millions of people do it anyway.

Ideal way to set up your taxes is that you owe the max amount that doesn't incur a stiff penalty each year- that way the government gave you an interest-free loan all year.

(even better you can usually use that "owed" amount to knock out one or more credit card card signup bonuses)

If you normally get a refund from the IRS it means you're giving the government an interest-free loan all year.

Ideal way to set up your taxes is that you owe the max amount that doesn't incur a stiff penalty each year- that way the government gave you an interest-free loan all year.

(even better you can usually use that "owed" amount to knock out one or more credit card card signup bonuses)

I was being a little sarcastic in trying to imply that what you describe above is how I manage my taxes :)

Reactions: Knightshade

Have you found a way to pay the IRS with a credit card and not be charged exorbitant fees?

Have you found a way to pay the IRS with a credit card and not be charged exorbitant fees?

I don't really consider 1.87% "exorbitant" so I guess yes?

Pay Your Taxes by Debit or Credit Card | Internal Revenue Service

A typical credit card signup bonus can net you $750-$1000 in value pretty easily (often more in some cases) for a spend of 3-5k... 1.87% of 5k is $93.50

Paying $93.50 for $1000 in value is kinda the opposite of exorbitant to me.

I don't really consider 1.87% "exorbitant" so I guess yes?

Pay Your Taxes by Debit or Credit Card | Internal Revenue Service

A typical credit card signup bonus can net you $750-$1000 in value pretty easily (often more in some cases) for a spend of 3-5k... 1.87% of 5k is $93.50

Paying $93.50 for $1000 in value is kinda the opposite of exorbitant to me.

Yes for your situation can make sense. Personally I don't like opening new accounts all the time. I spend ~$250k yearly on cc's so would just like to pay with a rewards card I already have. Most are about 2% back so kinda spinning my wheels to pay taxes with the fees you linked...

Reactions: kinito