Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 IRS Form 8936

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The form literally hasn’t been published by the IRS; there is no 2019 Form 8936 available at this time to file with your return. This is not TT’s fault. I’m not sure how the other services are getting around this.

Ya, the form has been up since 1/29/2020, it's just that TurboTax hasn't converted it to be able to use. I took a look on the TurboTax website under the Support section and you can see they state that yes the form is available but still needs to be converted to be able to use with their software.
upload_2020-2-4_18-49-23.png

Reactions: mswlogo

Ya, the form has been up since 1/29/2020, it's just that TurboTax hasn't converted it to be able to use. I took a look on the TurboTax website under the Support section and you can see they state that yes the form is available but still needs to be converted to be able to use with their software.
View attachment 508045

Good to know. When I checked last week sometime the IRS was still estimating it would be published on 2/12.

I kicked TurboTax to the curb and went with FreeTaxUSA. Form 8936 was available and the only charge is the state efile ($12.95). I don’t like waiting on filing my tax return with the potential of identity theft/fraudulent returns.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I've always used Turbo Tax but was tired of waiting for them to get the electric vehicle tax credit form so I tried your suggestion of FreeTaxUSA. Extremely quick and was able to fill out the EV tax credit form through them without issue. They only asked me if I wanted to upgrade to a more expensive ($6) package a single time, but I was able to file for free (jointly with spouse) without issue. Highly recommended.

1.png

Reactions: Knightshade
Form 8911 now shows up on the IRS website ( https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8911.pdf ) - as of 2/6/20, but instructions aren’t updated. I think most people can complete the form anyway. The form doesn’t show 2019 on the upper right because it can also be used for 2018 (for amended 2018 returns). This was the last document I was waiting on, so will be able to file shortly!

I read the instructions for Form 8911, and having trouble understanding Line 2 percentage of use.
Can anyone help?
I installed chargers at 2 different homes.

Just to clarify, if I purchased my Model 3 this year (i.e. I placed my order in January), there is no credit on the car itself because Tesla already hit the cap last year and it has been totally phased out, correct?

However, I can still get the other credit for installing the wall charger at my home, correct?

Thanks.

Form 8911 now shows up on the IRS website ( https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8911.pdf ) - as of 2/6/20, but instructions aren’t updated. I think most people can complete the form anyway. The form doesn’t show 2019 on the upper right because it can also be used for 2018 (for amended 2018 returns). This was the last document I was waiting on, so will be able to file shortly!

Looks like it shows 2019 in the upper right now.

Unfortunately, I'm not eligible for this as the tentative alternative minimum tax blows the ceiling, even if I'm not filing AMT. I don't know why they added that restriction - no other green energy credits do this to my knowledge.

However, I can still get the other credit for installing the wall charger at my home, correct?

The charger credit is applicable for any modifications made to a home to enable an electric car to charge from January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2020. If it was installed prior to 2019 people will need to file amended returns to claim the credit. If it was installed in 2019, you can claim it on your taxes now. And if you install it this year you can claim it on your taxes at the end of this year.