Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 IRS Form 8936

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The charger credit is applicable for any modifications made to a home to enable an electric car to charge from January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2020. If it was installed prior to 2019 people will need to file amended returns to claim the credit. If it was installed in 2019, you can claim it on your taxes now. And if you install it this year you can claim it on your taxes at the end of this year.
I'm getting mine installed this Friday, so I'm good. Don't have the car yet though...

Reactions: willow_hiller
The charger credit is applicable for any modifications made to a home to enable an electric car to charge from January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2020. If it was installed prior to 2019 people will need to file amended returns to claim the credit. If it was installed in 2019, you can claim it on your taxes now. And if you install it this year you can claim it on your taxes at the end of this year.

So if you paid someone to install you use that amount and not the amount you paid for the wall charger itself, right? Or is it both?

From 8911 instructions

Qualified alternative fuel vehicle refueling property is any property (other than a building or its structural components) used for either of the following.
• To store or dispense an alternative fuel (defined below) other than electricity into the fuel tank of a motor vehicle propelled by the fuel, but only if the storage or dispensing is at the point where the fuel is delivered into that tank.
• To recharge an electric vehicle, but only if the recharging property is located at the point where the vehicle is recharged.
In addition, the following requirements must be met to qualify for the credit.
• You placed the refueling property in service during the tax year.
• The original use of the property began with you.
• The property isn’t used predominantly outside the United States.
• If the property isn’t business/investment use property, the property must be installed on property used as your main home.

the underlined bold enlarged text part of the quote leads me to believe that only the actual charger is eligible for credit

• To recharge an electric vehicle, but only if the recharging property is located at the point where the vehicle is recharged.

the underlined bold enlarged text part of the quote leads me to believe that only the actual charger is eligible for credit

Why?

The 240v circuit (and subpanel it required) I had to pay to have installed is just as much "property used to recharge my vehicle" as the wall charger itself is.

What Is Form 8911: Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit - TurboTax Tax Tips & Videos

Turbotaxes advice also states the max credit is $1000 or "30 percent of the installation cost" which obviously would include any reqiured labor.

At least I'm having fun ripping on TurboTax on Twitter... They replied saying irs hasn't released the forms.. To witch i reply with a screen shot of the released form!

i hate them too. I went with mint as an aggregator vs all the other sites b/c they claimed to integrate with TT. 5 years later they still don't import transactions :( They're all owned by Intuit too..

Does HR Block import transactions from mint type aggregator sites (not specific brokers)

Last edited:
Why?

The 240v circuit (and subpanel it required) I had to pay to have installed is just as much "property used to recharge my vehicle" as the wall charger itself is.

What Is Form 8911: Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit - TurboTax Tax Tips & Videos

Turbotaxes advice also states the max credit is $1000 or "30 percent of the installation cost" which obviously would include any reqiured labor.

Won't let me open form. Do we need to submit receipt with form? card receipt ok?
Also is it the charger tax credit good for 2020 year also?

I am so close to switching over to creditkarma if turbotax haven't gotten their $h!t together by the time the 8911 form is release.

The only reason I haven't yet is that I have already imported all my tax information into TT already. I am just waiting on form 8936 and 8911 to submit everything.

I am so close to switching over to creditkarma if turbotax haven't gotten their $h!t together by the time the 8911 form is release.

The only reason I haven't yet is that I have already imported all my tax information into TT already. I am just waiting on form 8936 and 8911 to submit everything.

Ya, TurboTax has made it so easy to continue using them by having them maintain all my info and it's literally three or four taps on my phone every year and then updating about 3 values from my W2... I'm also horrible at keeping organized records so I pay the whatever it is ($40?) a year to have TurboTax maintain my records. Then I just pull out my phone and within seconds can pull up the information I need where ever I am.... but they're dropping the ball so hard on it this year that I'm almost ready to switch away too.

Just wondering. How do you add form 8911 when its released in TT? Where would form 8911 be located in deductions? I know 8936 was under Vehicles.

They are working to release form 8936 this week based on their last reply today.

Solved: Re: Form 8936 (2019) - Page 7 - Community

"4 hours ago

TurboTax programs our software and forms based on information and instructions provided by the IRS.

The forms initially expected to be available today (February 12, 2020) in TurboTax were subjected to additional last-minute updates from the IRS.

As @godsbeloved_03 pointed out above, the new date from the IRS for the eFile version of the form is now listed as 2/14/2020, although I am hesitant to quote that date.

We will add the form back to our list as soon as our developers have the opportunity to review the changes made overnight and determine what is required to program them for our software.

We can't comment on what any other company has available - we only know that as of today, there is no IRS approved version of the form available for the e-File system. "

If there were last minute changes from the IRS, then do you think other tax company's efile were affected too?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tren01t