Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Leaf - 64kWh battery w/thermal management, >225mi range, 100kW fast charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
nissan-sees-leafs-competition

second-generation-nissan-leaf-specs.png

second-generation-nissan-leaf-specs.png.webp

The 11 to 22kW AC charging also seems to imply that it will get (finally! ) 3-phase AC charging in Europe. That would be awesome.

If they also ditch CHAdeMO and go for a CCS-inlet in Europe it might outsell Model 3 as it's a lot cheaper.

• Helpful
Reactions: David99
we can draw conclusions from both GM Bolt and Renault ZOE
(both of which use LG cells, both of which have TMS)

Ive read of reports of GM bolt charge rate is about 24kW once it hits 55%, but the graph is below
GM bolt charge rate is about 24kW once it hits 68%
Ze9y0RU.png

Bolt EV ~150A/~55 kW max charging rate confirmed
(keep in mind GM pack size is probably a really good equivalence to Nissan LEAF pack size)

then there is the Renault ZOE
it happily eats 22kW charging, but is significantly tapered at 43kW, a comparison of 22kW and 43kW charge time demonstrates that.

one DC charge per day probably results in a faster charge time in a 40kWH LEAF than a 60kWh GM Bolt.
Its quite possibly that in going to 60kWh, the LEAF 2019 will have comparable charge rate to the GM Bolt, and slower charge rate than a LEAF 30kWh. What will improve though is that the LEAF 2019 should have a taper starting at somewhere near 100-120kW if the DC charger allows for it.

Nissan's price for 30kWh and 40kWh replacement packs are very very close to each other on a pack basis (ie 40kWh packs are 25% cheaper on a capacity basis), (and both significantly more than a 24kWh pack). It seems both packs are equally full, its just that getting the energy density up 25% results in a minor reduction of fast charge capacity.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
I can't speak for Nissan, but my theory is that GM Bolt is basically a 60kWh version of a 40kWh Renault. The Renault is basically a 44kw start taper, 22kW end taper chargeing car - so the GM bolt is a 66kW start taper 33kw end taper type car.

So yes, i predict TMS LG 60kWH nissan leaf will charge very similar to a GM bolt.

I can't speak for Nissan, but my theory is that GM Bolt is basically a 60kWh version of a 40kWh Renault. The Renault is basically a 44kw start taper, 22kW end taper chargeing car - so the GM bolt is a 66kW start taper 33kw end taper type car.

So yes, i predict TMS LG 60kWH nissan leaf will charge very similar to a GM bolt.

That makes no sense. Renault-Nissan is one company. GM is their competitor.

Renault zoe and nissan leaf made many many different choices.

Renault AC chaging only VS Nissan DC centric

Renault 3 phase vs Nissan 1 phase AC

Renault outsource cell production vs nissan inhouse cell production

Renault copper synchronous motor vs nissan permanent magnet motors.

Renault turn signals left of steering wheel vs nissan turnsignals right of steering wheel.

The list goes on and on and on.

Anyway my theory is that GM bolt uses cells that LG substantally developed for Renault. I also think 2019 nissan leaf will represent learnings from both zoe and leaf.

There is a mysterious live-streamed press conference happening today at around 5pm that Nissan has only promoted to its Japanese twitter followers.

The topic is about a high performance LEAF.

A link to the live stream is included in my article below:

https://electricrevs.com/2019/01/08...e-pr-event-today-for-a-high-performance-leaf/

Nissan’s Japanese language twitter account, but none of their other regional twitter accounts, posted a link for a live YouTube stream set for this afternoon to carry a press conference about a “high performance” model of the LEAF.

The time is apparently set for 5pm Pacific, although clicking the link to the video indicates the stream could start a bit earlier.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Nissan LEAF Plus is a speedy 214HP hatchback w/226 mile range, hits US in Spring

• 62kWh battery pack that is only 5mm bigger than the 40kWh pack in the current LEAF
  • 160kW motor (215hp)
  • 226 mile estimated range
  • 70kW CHAdeMO charging with 100kW peak
NO THERMAL MANAGEMENT
  • The battery pack cells are made by LG and are still passively cooled, which has been an issue in the past. However, Doi says Nissan has learned a lot in the almost decade of the LEAF and now believes that, even with the tighter pack, batteries will keep their capacity longer than ever. Nissan offers a 8 years/160,000 km (whichever occurs first) warranty on the battery

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf