Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Mdl 3 fluid drips in passenger floorboard (orange?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2019 Mdl 3 fluid drips in passenger floorboard.... looks orange to me, however no real odor that i can tell.

I don't understand what this is and exactly where it's coming from... I noticed it this morning, the only thing I can find about fluid drips in the psngr side floor is some people reporting water leaks in this area after going through car washes. I did run the car through the touch-less car-wash with the strong dryer blowers the other day and hadn't driven it sense then. It's been parked up until this morning and then i noticed this after getting to work.... but again it doesn't seem like just water due to color.

Please help!... Thoughts???

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5902.JPG
    IMG_5902.JPG
    416.5 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_5899.JPG
    IMG_5899.JPG
    851.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5910.JPG
    IMG_5910.JPG
    275.2 KB · Views: 114
First time I have seen anyone talk about that. It appears to be some type of coolant. Even if it was caused by a car wash it should be fixed. I would contact the service center to have them checked it out. The pictures will really help and possible they have seen it before.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

That needs to get checked out ASAP.

It's almost certainly coolant, which would be leaking from your liquid cooled autopilot computer mounted in the dash. Lose too much coolant, the system overheats, and you're on the side of the road waiting on a wrecker. Never heard of a leak happening here before, but a leak is possible anywhere there's coolant. In case you're wondering, there's no possible way a carwash could have anything to do with this.

As far as I know Tesla uses a blue coolant, so orange would likely be something else.

Tesla changes things ALL of the time.

I went in to get my horns changed out ( defective ) and they asked me what my VIN was. I asked "why"?

They said that they moved the horns in later versions of my car. The horns are no longer behind the front bumper in current model 3's. Mine are right behind the front bumper as it shows below. I have no idea where they moved them to.

Horn.jpg

Tesla changes things often. Who knows....Tesla might change the color of this fluid monthly....lol.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mswlogo
The autopilot computer is right above that area in the dash and is liquid cooled. Not sure of the color of that liquid, but might be something you want to get checked...

I don't see any fluid entering the cabin. These are all of the coolant/heating hoses in the car that come close to the cabin. None enter the cabin. Where is the computer you are speaking of?

HVAC hoses.png

All of these cable routes are either behind the firewall or underneath the car.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I don't see any fluid entering the cabin. These are all of the coolant/heating hoses in the car that come close to the cabin. None enter the cabin. Where is the computer you are speaking of?

View attachment 504781

All of these cable routes are either behind the firewall or underneath the car.

In your diagram locate the two coolant hoses just above the main display (it's not physically there just the way it's shown in the diagram), that is where it comes in via the firewall to the circuit board located behind the glove compartment.

If the OP wants to further investigate, remove the panel in the first picture. Just a couple of push/pull pins, once pulled down disconnect the light and speaker connection to move the panel out of the way. Look up with your phone camera, take a picture if your don't want to contort yourself.

Edit: Just saw that you have pulled down the panel.

haha yep no creamsicles in glove box... wish it were that easy.

& yep definitely passenger side. Later tonight when I get home i'll pull the panel off again, and try to get a better look and see if i can zero in on the source of the leak.

so no one can say for sure what would be an "orange" color fluid in the car?.... you guys think its probably autopilot computer coolant then (that at one time was blue, but perhaps has been replaced with orange)?

@Garlan - thanks for that image you posted of the computer, that helps, i'll be looking closely at those hoses connectors asap...