Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model 3 AWD Long Range - worth, range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

After driving a rental Tesla for some months I am considering a used one that I would own.

Is it a good idea in general?

I am looking at a car that was used personally, has 45.000 miles, no real damage discovered inside and out just one scratch.

The warranty is almost over but it still has battery warranty.

Someone suggested that after 3 years the range would drop by at least 50 miles. Is that really so?

Re price, KBB says fair, brand new is I think $58k now, they r asking $48k

Thanks!

5-10% range drop is typical...(and then tends to remain stable for years)... 50 miles would be significantly above that.

Price-- depends on a few things--- options for one... a base LR AWD would be ~58k (but you can't actually order them right now) but if the car you're looking at has FSD, that's a 15k option on a new one today... (EAP would be 6k I think)...color and wheel choice impacts price a little too though by only a grand or two.

Right now used car prices are kinda nuts, so I guess the question is do you NEED a car right now? There's also a fair chance when the LR AWD does come back it'll be slightly defeatured but be priced at 55k so it qualifies for the new tax incentive in 2023, making it a helluva buy if true (note this is just a rumor, but the one that makes the most sense for why they stopped taking orders for them right now)

Hello everyone,

After driving a rental Tesla for some months I am considering a used one that I would own.

Is it a good idea in general?

I am looking at a car that was used personally, has 45.000 miles, no real damage discovered inside and out just one scratch.

The warranty is almost over but it still has battery warranty.

Someone suggested that after 3 years the range would drop by at least 50 miles. Is that really so?

Re price, KBB says fair, brand new is I think $58k now, they r asking $48k

Thanks!

Regardless of whatever the rated range shows on the screen how (have the current owner tell you / show you what it charges to at 100%) you are not going to get anywhere near that number, so it really doesnt matter whether the rated range is. I dont remember exactly what the rated EPA range for a model 3 in 2019 was (someone will remember) but I dont think its the 350 you said in the other thread.

Even if it was, you wont get anywhere (nowhere) close to that number in regular use.

One of the biggest mistakes prospective owners or new owners make is some variation of:

"Oh this car has a 300 mile range, I only drive 15 miles a day to work and back, even though I cant charge it at home, I just need to go charge it every 15 days or so, and I will still have plenty of range left over when I do that". It will not work like that..... at all...... ever.

Whatever the range number says, it kind of doesnt matter if you have home charging, and are not driving your entire range out every day on your normal commute.

If you dont have home charging or work charging and are expecting to charge it at public chargers etc, its also not going to make that much difference because an additional 20 miles of rated range is not going to make any difference in your day to day usage, or how often you have to charge it at public chargers.

Whether its a good idea or not depends on the condition of the vehicle, and what you have for charging. I happen to think there are no such things as a good deal in used cars right now, so it depend on what you want, condition of the car, and what you have setup for charging.

Reactions: rpiotro
Thanks for all replies. My understanding is that AWD long range Model 3s have a range of 310 from 2019 and the new models are at 358 (I know that because Hertz rented me one).
Before that I had the standard 250-ish range. I just want to be able to give rides to people from and to the airports here in Houston. And longer range means more rides. I remember with the standard range I had to strategize more and I lost some opportunities. But that happened with the Long Range as well.
I wanna get it for just months and then flip it and perhaps use the new incentive in 2023.
I charge it at home overnight from level 2 charger (240V, 29A).

I wish I had a crystal ball and could predict the resale value. :)

Thanks for all replies. My understanding is that AWD long range Model 3s have a range of 310 from 2019 and the new models are at 358 (I know that because Hertz rented me one).
Before that I had the standard 250-ish range. I just want to be able to give rides to people from and to the airports here in Houston. And longer range means more rides. I remember with the standard range I had to strategize more and I lost some opportunities. But that happened with the Long Range as well.
I wanna get it for just months and then flip it and perhaps use the new incentive in 2023.
I charge it at home overnight from level 2 charger (240V, 29A).

I wish I had a crystal ball and could predict the resale value. :)

So you want to use it as a Uber / Lyft vehicle. The long range now is not going to be much different than the long range then (it sounds like you have experience with that). We dont have a crystal ball for resale values, but we do know that the market was historically high, and has been steadily dropping. Anyone buying now should expect the market to normalize (read DROP) back to pre pandemic levels.

Since you already have had a tesla model 3, you already know what living with one is like. Having a LR / AWD one is going to give you likely 80 ish miles more range than the standard range one you had, on a usable basis.

Regardless of whatever the rated range shows on the screen how (have the current owner tell you / show you what it charges to at 100%) you are not going to get anywhere near that number, so it really doesnt matter whether the rated range is. I dont remember exactly what the rated EPA range for a model 3 in 2019 was (someone will remember) but I dont think its the 350 you said in the other thread.
EPA range for a 2019 Model 3 LR AWD was 310 miles: 2019 Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD

If it has degraded by 10% (fairly common with NCA battery cars after a few years), it would have 279 miles of EPA rated range.

However, you can check by looking at the percentage or rated remaining range display at the top of the screen and tapping it to see the other. Knowing both the percentage and rated remaining range should let you do some math to determine the rated range at 100%, if the percentage is not so low that resolution errors can be significant. For example, if it shows 167 miles at 60%, then its rated range at 100% is 167/0.60 = 278 miles.

Whether you get the rated range, better, or worse depends on your driving habits. Consider how your economy in previous cars compares with the EPA economy, but realize that you should consider city and highway separately, and that cabin heat in not free in EVs like it is in ICEVs. It appears that most forum members here get significantly worse economy and range than the rated range due to driving 80+mph on highways, using a lot of cabin heat in cold weather, etc., although it is certainly possible to meet or exceed the EPA range if you drive economically. Also, if the tires have been replaced on the particular car, and the current tires are not the OEM model or an "EV" or "efficient" model, the tires could give worse economy and range than the OEM tires (-10% is commonly seen).

The range shouldn’t drop by 50 miles after 3 years. Regarding the price, just look at other comparable used Teslas for sale in your area to learn if the price is good.
Mine dropped by almost exactly that in three years, from 325 to about 275. I know that's towards the edges of the bell curve, but just keep in mind that Tesla considers this normal.

• Informative
Reactions: afadeev
My 2019 clocks in at 280 with about 32,000 miles on it. Most of the range loss was the first year or so. I rarely supercharge, mostly just home level 2. When I picked it up new they told me to charge it to 90%, it wasn't until I found this forum and did some research that I learned that it wasn't great to always charge that high so now I charge only to 75%... so I attribute some of the loss to that.