Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model 3 Lease takeover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my leased dual motor model 3 in August 2019 but now I have the model Y itch. Just getting a feeler for interests in lease swaps. Car is in mint condition inside and out. Center console and window switches were wrapped on day one, so no scratches on the piano black. Maxpider floor mats all around including trunk and trunk. Wireless phone charger. Aero wheels were swapped one month after delivery and will be transferred with lease.

The 20" wheels are not included.

Basic lease info are as follow (let me know if I'm missing anything).

36 Month lease term
12,000 mile/year
24 Months remaining
as of today car has 10,040 miles
Monthly payments including tax $530

Looking to get 5k for the transfer (My downpayment was about 7K)

upload_2020-7-22_3-5-50.jpeg

Picked up my leased dual motor model 3 in August 2019 but now I have the model Y itch. Just getting a feeler for interests in lease swaps. Car is in mint condition inside and out. Center console and window switches were wrapped on day one, so no scratches on the piano black. Maxpider floor mats all around including trunk and trunk. Wireless phone charger. Aero wheels were swapped one month after delivery and will be transferred with lease.

The 20" wheels are not included.

Basic lease info are as follow (let me know if I'm missing anything).

36 Month lease term
12,000 mile/year
24 Months remaining
as of today car has 10,040 miles
Monthly payments including tax $530

Looking to get 5k for the transfer (My downpayment was about 7K)

I've rarely seen a lease takeover situation where the person successfully recoups the down payment. Almost no one is willing to do that (I've taken over 5 leases over the past 10 years). The ones asking for downpayment reimbursement sit for ever.

Don't even put money down on a lease - it's a bad idea and if you avoided it, you'd solve this issue.

I've rarely seen a lease takeover situation where the person successfully recoups the down payment. Almost no one is willing to do that (I've taken over 5 leases over the past 10 years). The ones asking for downpayment reimbursement sit for ever.

Don't even put money down on a lease - it's a bad idea and if you avoided it, you'd solve this issue.
I don’t mind if it doesn’t get taken over as I’m loving the car on a daily basis. The post is a feeler to see if anyone is interested. If not, I’ll just enjoy the car for another 24 months then switch to the Y. Way I see it, can’t lose.

I don't see why someone can't ask for recouping some amount of downpayment on a lease swap.

I don't see why someone can't ask for recouping some amount of downpayment on a lease swap.
Fine to ask, I've rarely seen it happen. Seller should realize if they really want out of a lease, they should expect to lose that Down payment. Just like they'd lose it if the car gets totalled.

My main point is that putting money down when you initiate a lease is always a bad idea.

Reactions: cucubits and Mr X
Fine to ask, I've rarely seen it happen. Seller should realize if they really want out of a lease, they should expect to lose that Down payment. Just like they'd lose it if the car gets totalled.

My main point is that putting money down when you initiate a lease is always a bad idea.

I certainly wouldn't expect to lose the whole downpayment. Totaling a car and swapping a lease are two different events, with accordingly different outcomes. A lease is ultimately a total amount of dollars for a certain period and number of miles. How that total amount is split (upfront or overtime) doesn't change the $/month/mile value proposition.

Reactions: Toppatop55
I certainly wouldn't expect to lose the whole downpayment. Totaling a car and swapping a lease are two different events, with accordingly different outcomes. A lease is ultimately a total amount of dollars for a certain period and number of miles. How that total amount is split (upfront or overtime) doesn't change the $/month/mile value proposition.

That's exactly right. How the total is split is all that really matters.

That said, why do people put money down on a lease? No reason other than to Iower the monthly payment. And usually you see this when the lease is overpriced or poorly negotiated to begin with. Maybe this is less of an issue with Tesla since the prices are "fixed" (sorta) .... But I wound never expect to get a down payment back, personally.

I've taken over good number of leases, probably looked at hundreds of potential deals. The deals I've watched that NEVER move all have large requests to recoup down payments.

Trying to be helpful. Same car configuration can be leased for 3 years, 12000 miles/year, with $5000 down and a lease payment of $496/month before tax (or roughly $530 a month after 6% sales tax). So, for somebody to take over, the downpayment recovery can't be more than 2/3 of $5000 or $3333, for the deal to be comparable with what is offered by Tesla today. Good luck with the swap.

Reactions: Rmf1981