Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model 3 LR DIY PTC heater change possible?

Hi there. It seems that my 2019 model 3 LR's PTC heater just gave up and died. My local Tesla SC will change the heater for 1000€, so I had a look and I can find used PTC heater modules for around 100€.
Has anyone changed the PTC heater for model 3 by yourself? Any DIY instructions to share? Winter is around the corner here in Finland so heat would be nice soon. :)

Tesla pays 1hr of tech time to do the job, but do with that information what you will.. be very aware that the PTC uses pack voltage (350-375V DC) and you should not touch anything with orange wires or cables if you're not a trained professional, and if you do not own or have access to the correct tools and safety equipment to do the job. Not only can it kill you, it will hurt the whole time you're dying.
The service manuals are available in the US, online. I was going to post it here but thought better of it, not sure if there are rules about this on the forums, and if so I couldn't find them.. if you're still determined to make the repair yourself and you're properly equipped, contact me via PM and I can share them with you

Last edited:

Timbo2

Jun 8, 2019
USA
@emptyspaces - good point on the HV. You made me jump over to the service info to see how much needs to come out. It's not too bad, but you need to get under the car to disconnect the HV.

Mind you the service manual has the flat rate 0.1 to change the cabin filter. Good luck making that.

I'm older and wiser - I'd probably suck it up and have Tesla do it.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC