Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model 3 LR DIY PTC heater change possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there. It seems that my 2019 model 3 LR's PTC heater just gave up and died. My local Tesla SC will change the heater for 1000€, so I had a look and I can find used PTC heater modules for around 100€.
Has anyone changed the PTC heater for model 3 by yourself? Any DIY instructions to share? Winter is around the corner here in Finland so heat would be nice soon. :)

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
At least in the US the service information is now available for free directly from Tesla.

If I recall from skimming it - a large chunk of the dash has to come out and that's the reason for the large labor charge.

Tesla pays 1hr of tech time to do the job, but do with that information what you will.. be very aware that the PTC uses pack voltage (350-375V DC) and you should not touch anything with orange wires or cables if you're not a trained professional, and if you do not own or have access to the correct tools and safety equipment to do the job. Not only can it kill you, it will hurt the whole time you're dying.
The service manuals are available in the US, online. I was going to post it here but thought better of it, not sure if there are rules about this on the forums, and if so I couldn't find them.. if you're still determined to make the repair yourself and you're properly equipped, contact me via PM and I can share them with you

Last edited:
@emptyspaces - good point on the HV. You made me jump over to the service info to see how much needs to come out. It's not too bad, but you need to get under the car to disconnect the HV.

Mind you the service manual has the flat rate 0.1 to change the cabin filter. Good luck making that.

I'm older and wiser - I'd probably suck it up and have Tesla do it.

Hello!

After turn on the heat, the left (driver's) side of the PTC Heater turns off after 2-3 minutes and does not turn on again until I reboot.

I noticed that if I turn the heat up to no more than 19-20°C (~68ºF), it works stably. If turn up temperature a little higher, the left side will turn off after 2-3 minutes and will not turn on again.

Scan My Tesla shows the following: at the moment of the problem, both sides turn off at once. after 2-3 seconds the right side turns on, the left doesn’t turn on anymore.

I replaced the PTC Heater, it didn't help.

Maybe the problem is in some actuator?

I think the issue may be 1107674-00-A (BLEED ACTUATOR). This is the actuator that mixes the air from the heater and air conditioner, right? If it doesn't open well, could the heater overheat?

I would appreciate any help!

Attachments

• smt_m3_before_fail.jpg
    smt_m3_before_fail.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 161
  • smt_m3_fail.jpg
    smt_m3_fail.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 107
  • teslax_m3_before_fail.jpg
    teslax_m3_before_fail.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 86
  • teslax_m3_fail.jpg
    teslax_m3_fail.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 96
Nobody will help me? :(
It's hard to say, but I did just replace my airwave (panel vent) actuator because it was being erratic. It could be that the blend motor is doing the same thing, and when you call for more than 68º temp, it is just closing down which is faulting the PTC.. the parts are fairly cheap because the actuator is shared with many GM vehicles in the US. I found buying the entire airwave assembly was cheaper than buying only the actuator on RockAuto ($29 from Tesla, $40 from Rock Auto) it may be the same case with you. Do report back if that solves it!

Also, what app are you using to view all of that data? Very cool. Good luck!

It's hard to say, but I did just replace my airwave (panel vent) actuator because it was being erratic. It could be that the blend motor is doing the same thing, and when you call for more than 68º temp, it is just closing down which is faulting the PTC.. the parts are fairly cheap because the actuator is shared with many GM vehicles in the US. I found buying the entire airwave assembly was cheaper than buying only the actuator on RockAuto ($29 from Tesla, $40 from Rock Auto) it may be the same case with you. Do report back if that solves it!

Thanks for your reply!

This is Scan My Tesla & tes𐫴LAX apps.

Have you ever had your heater turn off? Are there any errors in the system?

I feel the problems are different. Because my climate turns off even when all the air ducts are open (up, down, vent).

I had my PTC Heater replaced recently at the SC - they charged about $800. The interesting thing was that it had shorted somewhere and was draining my 12V battery in about 2 min, so car dies and needs to be towed for service. Tesla app gave a notice that the 12V battery needs to be replaced (less than 2 years old), SC initially thought it was an inverter problem and would be covered by the HV warranty but charged me $160 for HV circuit diagnostics nevertheless. HV circuitry was Ok but the diagnostics charge remained :(

Was solved by replacing the right body controller (VC_RIGHT)