TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2019 Model 3 Performance has a hitch cover

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by Bigtuna00, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Bigtuna00

Bigtuna00 Member

I've noticed a change on my Model 3 Performance that I picked up June 1. The lower trim panel has a built-in cover/opening presumably for a hitch:

2019 Model 3 Performance Hitch Cover?

I am installing the EcoHitch Stealth and planned to install their Undercover accessory to cover the hole that you drill but turns out I don't need to drill a hole at all...bonus. I let Torklift Central know as well.

• Informative x 5
    • Like x 4
  2. vzium

vzium Member

That's exactly what we have in Europe if you take the towing package. I guess they applied the modification regarding the rear access for all cars produced since then.

• Like x 1
  3. Stach

Stach Member

Cool, I've got that too on my 04/19 build here in the US. I'd only ever use it for a bike rack, but that'd be a nice option to have!

4. Ryefry

Ryefry Member

Please check to see if the wiring for a trailer is also there.

5. DirtyT3sla

DirtyT3sla Member

What's the build date? I'm Oct/2018 so I'm sure I don't have this but now I need to check!

6. WilliamG

WilliamG Active Member

Interesting. My Performance 3 (see signature) doesn’t have it.

7. Bigtuna00

Bigtuna00 Member

Didn't notice any wiring for a trailer. I'll have to check the build date.

8. ammulder

ammulder '98 GS400 -> P3D+

Mine delivered in early May did not have that central removable panel.

9. DirtySeven

DirtySeven New Member

SR+ delivered mid June. I have the panel. Didn't see any extra wiring inside.

10. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

Dang. I want that panel.
    They really should have made the hitch like mine though.
    5C1B0221-C7CD-4599-A5EC-18859092F8A3.jpeg

• Like x 1
  11. -DA3

-DA3 Member

04/19 build LRRWD I have the panel.

12. regazzoni

regazzoni Member

That is interesting. Should I expect a newly ordered long range AWD to have it?

13. derekmw

derekmw Member

80F3B7DA-A5E5-4729-BC26-C6B0ACC96C45.jpeg I just picked up my P3D- yesterday and have the panel too. Sorry for crappy pic but this was for Due Bill since all my panels on front/rear/sides were scratched up:

• Informative x 1
  14. SageBrush

SageBrush 2020: Drain the Sewer

Can the towing package be retro-fitted ?

PLEASE

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  15. regazzoni

regazzoni Member

my hope was that the aftermarket stealth hitch woudl fit through...

16. ibcrypto

ibcrypto Member

I noticed , (July 2019 in U.S.), Model 3 had this cover/opening but when I received my Model 3 Performance it did not have this cover. I asked my adviser if they could switch it to one with a flap and was told yes. Not sure why some have the hatch over and others don't.... Also I spoke with Service about warranty if I were to put on a hitch and they said they could not guarantee that it would NOT void the warranty..... I'm sure may owners want a hitch to carry a bike rack like me - come on Tesla - please make it happen!

17. nayr14

nayr14 Member

I'm still waiting for a OEM hitch option. I'd assume it would include installation/upgrade of the rear under bumper cover to include the door the new models comes with. I'm surprised it hasn't been announced through... I'd expect Elon to tweet about it months before the official release. Maybe it's just for the EU hitch... I hope not though!

If there isn't an option by Spring 2020 I'll be going aftermarket.

18. devildogDMD

devildogDMD Member

Funny how informed the service centers are. I made the drive last week to see if I could buy the European panel for my hitch and after the guy walked around asking people I was told no because it was an international part. SMH, back to the SC to try to order. This time with the part number.

19. Bigtuna00

Bigtuna00 Member

There already is an OEM hitch option, but only in Europe: https://electrek.co/2019/05/08/tesla-model-3-tow-hitch/

20. Bigtuna00

Bigtuna00 Member

Yes, sorry I wasn't clear about that. The aftermarket hitches fit through the OEM hole just fine. The hole is actually quite huge, much bigger than the one you cut if you follow the EcoHitch instructions.