TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2019 Model 3 Performance jack points ruined :(

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Bigtuna00, Jun 12, 2019 at 11:13 PM.

1. Bigtuna00

Bigtuna00 Member

I don't know how this happened (it was definitely not me, I never lifted the car until today and I'm using JackPoint jack stands).

2019 Model 3 jack points ruined :(

There's only one other person who's lifted the car, but I can't believe he wouldn't tell me if he did this. Anyway I will ask him.

Posting here to see if anyone else has experienced this; is there any remedy?

2. Lucky13

Lucky13 Member

How does that even happen?

3. Leafdriver333

Leafdriver333 What range anxiety?

It must have happened when the car was rested on Jack stands.

• Informative x 1
  4. TORQU3

TORQU3 Member

That’s from cinching a car down on a flatbed using those as hook points. That’s not from jacking.

• Like x 8
    • Informative x 5
    • Helpful x 2
  5. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Active Member

I agree that certainly doesn't look like damage from jack stands.

6. jmaddr

jmaddr Member

This ^^^
    Any flat-bed transport lately? Home delivery perhaps? I wouldn't think this would have happened during Tesla factory delivery but if they hired someone to deliver to you, that might have been when it happened. Are the "rips" towards the outside? IE the front ones have a rip towards the front/outside and the rear ones towards the rear/outside?

7. vjason

vjason Member

This.

The edges of the jack "pocket" are pulled outward, not crushed inward. I can't see how you would get that damage from pushing up on the areas in question unless whatever you pushed up with went under the edges of the jack stand "pocket" and when lowering the car the lift/jack pulled free.

8. Watts 4 Me

Watts 4 Me Member

Dang!!! This blows. Sorry this happened to you

9. qdeathstar

qdeathstar Member

maybe if skipped off the jacks.

10. davecal

davecal Member

Definitely flatbed or transport truck damage

• Like x 2
  11. dmurphy

dmurphy EV: Converted.

Wow .... that’s some serious damage. I agree, it’s from transport. Good lesson for everyone - read the book and know it better than any random tow truck person.

So sorry. I can’t fathom how that can be repaired. If you can prove it was from delivery though, hopefully the Tesla service folks have some ideas.

12. super20g

super20g Member

Man, that would cost a pretty penny to fix.

13. duckm4n

duckm4n Member

Did the oblong shape of the jack stand points fit inside the circular hole on the car?

14. Lunares

Lunares Member

As others said..that's definitely some damage from towing not jacking

As for fixing it, arent those points integrally tied into the frame? Is there even a way to repair that?

15. Eriamjh1138

Eriamjh1138 Member

Cut and weld.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  16. Bigtuna00

Bigtuna00 Member

Thanks everyone for your comments. The damage is all going in the same direction so it looks as if the car "slid". But what you've said makes sense, it doesn't actually make sense this would have been done by jacks nor jacks stands, it looks like tie-downs.

I did not have Home Delivery, they don't do it on weekends anymore :rolleyes: Nonetheless I'm sure there's some transport involved delivering the cars to the Fremont location because the car only had like 8 miles on it.

Waiting to hear back from the detailer to confirm if he noticed it or not; looks like I'll be contacting Tesla...

• Like x 1
  17. Leafdriver333

Leafdriver333 What range anxiety?

So it was like that even before you took delivery. I will have to go check mine now.

18. Nine2Five

Nine2Five Member

Seems like a lot of damage, if it was done by the detailer it would cost a lot of money to fix so that’s why he probably wouldn’t say anything.

Why was the detailer lifting the vehicle anyways was your wheels being powder coated? (Possible they took it somewhere else for that job if that’s the case)

If you picked your car up at the Fremont hub I’m not sure they trailer the cars from the factory to that place (it’s what couple miles away) atleast that’s what I was told,I picked mine up there also.

19. Bigtuna00

Bigtuna00 Member

Confirmed with the detailer they were already like this when he worked on the car. He had the wheels off for Ceramic Pro coating on wheels and calipers. I trust him, I'm a repeat customer, he has a good reputation, and he does a really good job.

Any advice on how to contact Tesla? Should I freak out on Twitter? (kidding) I don't think it's useful to call via phone because they won't have the photos. I sent a message by the "Request Help" link just to start but if you have other advice, please let me know. Thanks!

• Like x 1
  20. TORQU3

TORQU3 Member

It's the type of thing that sucks and I certainly wouldn't be happy either, hell I'd be pissed. But in reality, it's more cosmetic than anything. The good part is it's under the car, you won't even think about it. It looks like there is still plenty of meat there for jack stands as well. I'm not sure what Tesla would do about this either. I'm not sure if it's part of the unibody or battery assembly. At a minimum once your take some good pictures of it etc it's probably worth putting some paint on just so it doesn't rust.