Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model 3 Performance to Model S LR at 90K, worthwhile?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a 2019 Model 3 Performance with 30K miles.
Dealer is offering 47K for it.

A friend took delivery back in August of his Model S LR but he already got another car in the meantime. Willing to sell it to me at 90K (he bought it for $79K). Car only has 25 miles.

Is it worth doing the upgrade or should I be content with the Model 3? I have the funds to make the change but at the same time driving a depreciating asset and something as high as 90K has me pausing.

Is the driving experience much different? Is the S boat like when manuvering? More importantly does it pull harder at higher speeds? I always felt that my 3 Performance would sharply taper off past 90 mph.

I just came from having multiple M3Ps over the past 4 years to the S plaid a few weeks ago, and the cars drive completely different.

IMO - the model 3 is much more agile and a fun commuter car because it weighs 700 pounds less and has a smaller footprint. The sound system in the 3 is better quality I believe, although the active noise reduction in the S is amazing. The thing I miss most about the 3 is the headlights, those have to be the best headlights of any car on the planet, they are perfect. A few of the interface options are more intuitive on the 3's screen. But it is nice having the secondary display in front of the driver on the S. The cooled seats are awesome in the S, and the seat does feel decent, but the 3's front seats seem to be better for me on long 6+ hour drives. The rear doors on the 3 also seem like they have more of an opening to get in and out of, but that's a tradeoff because the S has a ton more space inside. Then, one of the nicest things I've noticed is that the distance accuracy of the S is spot on. If you leave the house and it says 350 miles, you can usually get right around that. With the 3P I would leave, it said 280, and I was lucky to even see 200. It's definitely not "a boat" to drive around, but the S is more of a touring feel.

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2
I just came from having multiple M3Ps over the past 4 years to the S plaid a few weeks ago, and the cars drive completely different.

IMO - the model 3 is much more agile and a fun commuter car because it weighs 700 pounds less and has a smaller footprint. The sound system in the 3 is better quality I believe, although the active noise reduction in the S is amazing. The thing I miss most about the 3 is the headlights, those have to be the best headlights of any car on the planet, they are perfect. A few of the interface options are more intuitive on the 3's screen. But it is nice having the secondary display in front of the driver on the S. The cooled seats are awesome in the S, and the seat does feel decent, but the 3's front seats seem to be better for me on long 6+ hour drives. The rear doors on the 3 also seem like they have more of an opening to get in and out of, but that's a tradeoff because the S has a ton more space inside. Then, one of the nicest things I've noticed is that the distance accuracy of the S is spot on. If you leave the house and it says 350 miles, you can usually get right around that. With the 3P I would leave, it said 280, and I was lucky to even see 200. It's definitely not "a boat" to drive around, but the S is more of a touring feel.
Appreciate the thought out post.
This leaves me even more conflicted as I thought the S would just be overall superior in every facet but then I guess there are limits as the 3 is physically a smaller car.
I'm torn.
I love the 3 size but the inside just lacks a certain quality after sitting in a family members X.
At the same time, I sometimes wish the 3 was even smaller so I'm not sure how would I feel going to a car much heavier + longer than my current 3.
While I don't ride on the highway often, man the road noise in the 3 is absolutely terrible.

Reactions: Sam1
Appreciate the thought out post.
This leaves me even more conflicted as I thought the S would just be overall superior in every facet but then I guess there are limits as the 3 is physically a smaller car.
I'm torn.
I love the 3 size but the inside just lacks a certain quality after sitting in a family members X.
At the same time, I sometimes wish the 3 was even smaller so I'm not sure how would I feel going to a car much heavier + longer than my current 3.
While I don't ride on the highway often, man the road noise in the 3 is absolutely terrible.

With the 19" wheels and tires, the S is completely silent inside. On the 21's with PS4S, it's much quieter than the 3 is on its best day. It's an enormous difference. Plus most things feel more solid, like what you would expect with a higher end car.

Oh, meant to follow this up with a financial consideration (it's why I jumped on this instead of putting more miles on the 3). In January with the new tax credit coming into play, prices on used model 3's is going to drop significantly because everyone will be buying a new one instead. So your $47k valuation is going to drop a lot.