Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model 3 Predicted Changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

voip-ninja

Give me some sugar baby
Mar 15, 2012
Colorado
Thought it might be fun to predict what changes Tesla will introduce next year to keep the Model 3 fire going as they continue to work their way through the pre-order backlog and deal with the diminishing tax credit.

My thought is that they will try to sweeten the deal on PUP as their #1 priority to protect margins and get take rate on PUP (and EAP) as high as possible.

Here's what I can come up with;

• Black/white interior choice both at same cost with PUP.
  • PUP to include at least one additional feature that it doesn't have currently (key fobs?).
  • At least one additional color choice for PUP vehicles.
  • At least one new exterior color choice (possibly exclusive to Performance version).
  • Performance/DM version continued enhancements.
  • Performance version might get more exterior differentiation but doubtful.
  • Ludicrous mode for P models produced after certain date takes 0-60 down to 2.9 seconds at a cost of $10,000.
  • At least one new wheel design to differentiate the 2019 "model year".
  • Mid-year cars ship equipped with Tesla EAP/SD silicon. Certain features only work with newer silicon.
  • Introduction of SR battery (new lighter design) will bleed over to a lighter longer range battery for LR models to further differentiate Tesla from competitors arriving late next year (BMW, VW).

There is no such thing as 2019 Model 3, other than designating those Model 3s that are built between 1/1/2019 and 12/31/2019. Any design changes can come at any time, or even several times in a year. Tesla doesn't do design changes based on "model years", which was a marketing gimmick started by the Big Three in the 1950's.

I understand this, but you are being pedantic. Tesla like other manufacturers puts the model year in the VIN and I believe some insurers, etc., do refer to the cars by this code for "model year".

Tesla does rolling changes and I never said all changes would be introduced at a specific time, in fact I specifically indicated some hypothetical changes would likely be intro'd at different times next year.

Last edited:
I'd like to see sensors included in the steering wheel. It does not feel natural placing pressure on the steering wheel to keep auto pilot happy. Definitely makes me less likely to add it.

Integrated wireless charging.

Would not be surprised to see the gloss black plastic changed. That will not age well.

Wonder how much that’s going to cost early adopters.
They should sell them for like 50 bucks for people that owned before they became available.

Reactions: RBowen and ebmcs03
I understand this, but you are being pedantic. Tesla like other manufacturers puts the model year in the VIN and I believe some insurers, etc., do refer to the cars by this code for "model year".

Tesla does rolling changes and I never said all changes would be introduced at a specific time, in fact I specifically indicated some hypothetical changes would likely be intro'd at different times next year.
It's not being pedantic, it's that the concept of "model year" or "2019 Model S/X/3" has no meaning when discussing Tesla. This auto industry jargon is irrelevant. Government regulations require a code in the model year field of the VIN, so Tesla puts in the year of manufacture. Likewise state governments and insurers use "model year" to identify cars, as that was industry standard, but for Tesla it just means year of manufacture as in the VIN. Tesla has never identified a car by year in any of its marketing, unlike every legacy manufacturer. If a design change happens next week, every other company would call it their "2019 model" but with Tesla 2019 starts in January regardless of when any design change happens or doesn't happen. If it were up to Tesla their cars would not be identified by years.