Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model 3 Predicted Changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Were there many changes to the S through out the years? And if so, did the changes come with an increase in price?

Lots of changes over the years, enough that there is a wiki file (Model S - Options by Year - Tesla Motors Club Wiki) maintained by the community to keep track. Some updates came with price increases. Buying a used S is an adventure. When I bought my 2013, it ended up in the window with parking sensors, but without folding mirrors or fog lights and no alcantara headliner. I had the briefly made performance seats, etc. Tons of small stuff like that. Plus the big things like battery sizes, AP, AP2 and the facelift.

Well if they want to compete with Audi they should drop the price of the SR/PUP/AWD and LR/PUP/AWD by about 5K to make them in line with the A4 and S4 respectively. Maybe they can offer a premium package with less capable audio, even cloth, but keep the glass roof and decrease the price of the second motor to 4K as originally offered. (I know, I know, the environment is worth the extra 5K and we are not factoring the gas savings, but still...)

As noted earlier, the biggest improvement will likely be the addition of AP 3.0 hardware at no additional charge, which will support FSD features and likely improved AP performance as well as improved safety features (by adding hardware support for an additional 4 cameras).

Currently, we have to pay $3000 upfront (or $5000 after delivery) for hardware that will be free next year, offsetting a big chunk of the $7500 tax rebate. In the used Tesla market, we’ve seen that the AP version significantly affects resale values, although, hopefully, that won’t be a major consideration going forward because anyone can upgrade the AP hardware for $5K.

Last edited:
Ordered with most desired first:
- Tow bar(*)
- Air suspension(*)
- Range optimized AWD option (i.e. less acceleration for more range than RWD)
- Prepaid road-tripper's supercharging package (e.g. 5MWh/year)
- Open-source phone app
- heated steering wheel(*)
- ventilated seats(*)

(*): Present in my Audi A8

• Informative
Reactions: voip-ninja
Ordered with most desired first:
- Tow bar(*)
- Air suspension(*)
- Range optimized AWD option (i.e. less acceleration for more range than RWD)
- Prepaid road-tripper's supercharging package (e.g. 5MWh/year)
- Open-source phone app
- heated steering wheel(*)
- ventilated seats(*)

(*): Present in my Audi A8

Seems like a Model S meets most of your needs and is more of a direct replacement for your A8 than a Model 3.

A useful interior camera. Why is it in a car with so many cameras, it can't figure out who is in the driver's seat and select their profile?

My wife and I use easy entry. I frequently forget who drove last. I have way too many harrowing Indiana Jones experiences of the seat and steering wheel closing together to crush me if I don't get to the touch screen fast enough to change from her profile to mine.

Seems like a Model S meets most of your needs and is more of a direct replacement for your A8 than a Model 3.

Yes, that is true however only at first glance.

The A8 is actually uncomfortably large on the Italian roads I started driving on recently (after getting a summer residence there). The roads are so narrow that people don't stop or anything if the side mirrors just touch lightly. (On that note it is also not optimal to drive a brand new car there).

Also, with quite a bit of driving on the German Autobahn, I am hoping for supercharging stations that support the Model 3's 180 kW charging capability, so I can sustain higher driving speeds there (see also Time Optimized Traveling Speed: the Final Graph).

Lastly, I really need the long range for my frequent road trips and a Model S 100D is really quite expensive...

However, once I get the invitation to configure my Model 3 with known pricing incl. options, then I will also look at a used Model S 100D, to make sure I am making the best choice. A used model S with unlimited Supercharging could become appealing, for the right price.

Thanks for your feedback.

PS. I should add that I have driven my A8 a _lot_ at very high speeds (including overtaking the police with their blue emergency lights on, on the Autobahn), and I think I want to step down the very high speed driving, just a bit, before the statistics catch up with me. So the I am unsure about paying for the various performance upgrades.

Last edited: