Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model 3 Sr+ to 2018 model s...thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Following the great discussions I've read about upgrading my 2019 M3 SR+ to a new one it got me thinking (and checking autotrader).
Looking at costs of a new M3 LR you can get a good spec 2018 model s for the same sort of price (75d or 90d).

Has anyone moved from a 3 to an S? I love my M3, but let's face it the S is just a better looking car, question is what would I be missing out on that I get with a 3 that I wouldnt get with an S? Is this a downgrade because the car is 4 years old or an upgrade because the car was more expensive new with more 'toys'

Aware that might need a CCS upgrade to use V3 SCs but anything else to look out for?

US owner here so I can’t comment on the CCS portion but I can say I went from a 2018 sr+ to a 2020 performance S. Long story short I only kept the S for 3 months before getting rid of it and putting in an order for a refresh S. Honestly everything about the pre refresh S just felt old compared to the 3. I kept telling myself the performance and ride comfort was worth the extra cost however I just didn’t have the love for the car like I did for the 3. I think had I never had the 3 I would have loved the S. What put me over the edge was when Tesla announced the pre refresh cars were now considered legacy and would only receive some of the new features released in the holiday update.

Main differences you will notice immediately when swapping to a S.

• Outdated stalks galore. You have a gear selector stalk, a turn signal stalk, an autopilot stalk, and a steering wheel adjustment stalk.
  • Turn signals can’t auto cancel.
  • Manual air vents.
  • Manual door release.
  • Out of place old feeling window controls.
  • Extremely poor designed center console that you are forced to choose between an arm rest or a cup holder.
  • Arguable more subjective is screen orientation, I disliked it personally but friends who never drove a 3 preferred it.

Benefits I did enjoy however were the larger space, the more comfortable ride due to air suspension, and in my case the nice performance.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Quick Google confirms it...

Extended Warranty

Don't know the cost yet as have to have a vin for a quote but 4 year/50k warranty so that's one worry gone.

I get peoples point with the interiors and obviously there are a lot of different interiors available on the S, some look like your nan's front room but some I think stil look pretty good. Guess that just adds to the difficulty of buying second hand and finding the exact car you want, colour/wheels/interior trim etc

Have you measured your drive / garage / usual parking spots? The loaner S we had while our Model 3 was being worked on overflowed our parking space - and it felt too wide for country lanes, but that depends on what you’re used to, and what kind of roads you use I guess.

Have you measured your drive / garage / usual parking spots? The loaner S we had while our Model 3 was being worked on overflowed our parking space - and it felt too wide for country lanes, but that depends on what you’re used to, and what kind of roads you use I guess.
We have a big drive but yeah do live down a country lane, most concerned that the wife will inevitably curb the rims...think I'm gonna have to test drive and see what she thinks...annoyingly she doesn't want white interior which i actually quite like now