Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model 3 Used - Tesla Insurance Quote Before I buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Community,

On the verge of purchasing my first ever Tesla/Electric Vehicle (Model 3 used) from Tesla Website. Little did I realize how expensive these toys are to insurance with legacy providers. I live in Texas, so Tesla Insurance being available is a great blessing in terms of rate (based on what the community is saying). The legacy insurance company quotes are at least 1200 dollars every 6 months for a driver with 0 claims or accidents in the past few years.

Not a fan of Driving habits based Insurance in general, but Tesla Insurance may just be the way to go if the price is right.

**QUESTION/S:**

1. Is there a way that I can get a Quote from Tesla Insurance before I buy a car? I like to know this prior to committing to a car for budgeting reasons.
2. Do I need to own the car to get a quote? Tesla App does not give me an option to seek for a rate. I have downloaded and installed the app. Registered and logged in. When trying to obtain a quote, the app wouldn't let me and tells that I need to have at least 1 Tesla vehicle to insure with Tesla Insurance. Is there a way to bypass this and see a quote for a vehicle based on VIN (just like legacy insurance providers).

Please take a moment to guide me. I can't wait to be a EV owner. This will help me tremendously.

Would love to know this as well, as I’m trying to navigate buying my dads M3 and figuring out how to to get tesla insurance coverage for it.
I have Tesla insurance for 2022 Model 3P in California.
Setting up insurance via the app is straight forward.

Read up here: Insurance | Tesla.
- there is a phone number to call at the bottom of the website for more questions like for the OP (@Last-Phrase) who seems to be in Texas (they use Safety Score for rating premium where it not the case for California).

Can't compare premiums since there are so many variables for each person/vehicle but see attached copy of my coverage and premium for an idea.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221116_094804.jpg
    Screenshot_20221116_094804.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 218
  • Screenshot_20221116_094632.jpg
    Screenshot_20221116_094632.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 148
Reactions: wipster
Upvote 0
I have Tesla insurance for 2022 Model 3P in California.
Setting up insurance via the app is straight forward.

Read up here: Insurance | Tesla.
- there is a phone number to call at the bottom of the website for more questions like for the OP (@Last-Phrase) who seems to be in Texas (they use Safety Score for rating premium where it not the case for California).

Can't compare premiums since there are so many variables for each person/vehicle but see attached copy of my coverage and premium for an idea.

Thanks for this. I was able to finally cover it once ownership was transferred in the app. I’m not sure what variables they were able to look at but I’m in my mid 30s with 20+ years of driving experience and in a pretty urban part of LA and my premium is $350+/month… I do have a point on my license that should expire this time next year. My coverage is similar to yours but my medical is $1K… I’m a little astonished. Still better than my Mercury insurance quote though…

Upvote 0