Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 model S drivetrain and infotainment issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this post is basically to describe my experience with my model S and will be providing updates when I know what's going on. Fyi ii have a raven 2019 model s. I did a lot of searching and haven't found anything with the specific issues. First issue is with my infotainment screen. About once a month I will start my car and it will allow me to drive but no screen would turn on (main screen as well as hud). Blinkers and location-based mirrors won't work either. After a few hours leaving my car alone, it will magically work. However it will take most of the day for the cell service to end up working.

The day before I brought my car in for service, noticed the error message "reduced power, Car need's maintenance". I know I've seen this before, but a lot of people get this error message and it goes away. The service center called me and said after they pushed the engine a little bit that error came up again and is likely a problem with the drivetrain. They said that figuring out both these problems will likely take a week or more, and does not believe these two things are related.

This is mostly informative for whoever may experice the same thing but if anyone has any experice with these problems some insight would be nice!

Could be worse...post from a friend.

"Placed an order 2 weeks ago for a Cayman GT4. Always wanted one though everyone tells me to just get a 911. Problem with the 911 option is that it would cost too much to get the car I would want, so the GT4 kinda fits the bill.

Then I find out 2 days ago that Porsche has stopped production on all of the 4.0 NA inline motors because the rods are cracking. They are going to have to replace all of the existing 2021 motors because of this, and there is a 6 month hold on the motors as of now.

Then I start to find out that the front strut towers are cracking/coming apart. Apparently these are cast aluminum towers that are cracking/coming apart either from being used at the track or even from potholes. Porsche is not covering the issue as they are blaming "impact". Imagine that...impact from a pothole. The part is like $450...and then tack on almost $5K for the labor. "

• Disagree
Reactions: AMPd and Joesage

"Placed an order 2 weeks ago for a Cayman GT4. Always wanted one though everyone tells me to just get a 911. Problem with the 911 option is that it would cost too much to get the car I would want, so the GT4 kinda fits the bill.

Then I find out 2 days ago that Porsche has stopped production on all of the 4.0 NA inline motors because the rods are cracking. They are going to have to replace all of the existing 2021 motors because of this, and there is a 6 month hold on the motors as of now.

Then I start to find out that the front strut towers are cracking/coming apart. Apparently these are cast aluminum towers that are cracking/coming apart either from being used at the track or even from potholes. Porsche is not covering the issue as they are blaming "impact". Imagine that...impact from a pothole. The part is like $450...and then tack on almost $5K for the labor. "

Ok so maybe my situation isn't THAT bad. Put things into perspective

Ok so got the car back. Drive great now. Maybe in my head but even better! (They also did an alignment so maybe my car needed that as well. Basically new mCU/screen for the startup issue and new rear drive unit for the reduced power error when driving harsh.

Great job sticking to what you do best.

I'm pretty sure the Raven cars have the permanent magnet front drive units - the same/similar ones the put in the M3 and MY. This is the motor that allows the car to regen all the way to a stop (true one pedal driving) vs. about 5mph in the non permanent magnet DU.

Reactions: Joesage
I'm pretty sure the Raven cars have the permanent magnet front drive units - the same/similar ones the put in the M3 and MY. This is the motor that allows the car to regen all the way to a stop (true one pedal driving) vs. about 5mph in the non permanent magnet DU.
Yeah my regen isn't changed. Can drive true one pedal (as long as I'm not being too aggressive). Not gonna complain since it's been working fine.