Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model S P100D seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

I recently purchased a 2019 Model S P100D from Tesla. I, unfortunately, recently crashed my 2016 Model S 60D so had to buy another Tesla. I lived my old car so wanted to stick with Tesla. Love the new (2019) P100D but there is one thing I am really struggling with: the seats. I have had my car for 5 days and my lower back and hips are killing me. I have tried all different positions but can’t seem to get comfortable. My old car had the Next Gen seats and I never had an issue. I should have spent more time with sitting in these seats before buying the car.

Question for you all: is it possible for me to have Next Gen seats installed in my 2019 Model S? I realize it would be going backwards but comfort is key for me. I am sure I can find a used set on eBay, etc. but not sure if they will fit in terms of connectors, etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I couldn't get the next gen seats to work for me. Same thing - it just provides me a sharp pain in my lower back. I couldn't stomach the idea of just eating the cost of swapping seats though. I did find some seat covers (Wet Okole) - that came with a little inflatable bladder I could position in just the right spot to make the seats work for me.

Hi all

I recently purchased a 2019 Model S P100D from Tesla. I, unfortunately, recently crashed my 2016 Model S 60D so had to buy another Tesla. I lived my old car so wanted to stick with Tesla. Love the new (2019) P100D but there is one thing I am really struggling with: the seats. I have had my car for 5 days and my lower back and hips are killing me. I have tried all different positions but can’t seem to get comfortable. My old car had the Next Gen seats and I never had an issue. I should have spent more time with sitting in these seats before buying the car.

Question for you all: is it possible for me to have Next Gen seats installed in my 2019 Model S? I realize it would be going backwards but comfort is key for me. I am sure I can find a used set on eBay, etc. but not sure if they will fit in terms of connectors, etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
The Newer Tesla Model S seats are in the same frame as all the model 3 / Y.
I have that frame in my shop.
I've rebuilt the seats to resolve my back, bottom, hips, legs, head, neck issues.
I could not sit in the stock new seats long at all. The new design involves completely replacing the foam, straitening the head rest, etc.
I tried many, many different fixes. Finally I have one that works for me. It adds genuine suspension to the seat and comfort over longer drives, especially for a bigger / wider body frame. And relevant to us who have some back concerns.
But first your question.
Can you put the older Model S seat into a newer Model S? Yes, but it's difficult to do. They are very different. The hooks don't hook up well etc.
The seat pan / base / metal is different, starting about 2017. I assume you had the pre-refreshed 20`6, with the older flatter, wider seat design.
I have a set of the older seat cushions. I could try harder to mount them into the newer frame.
But there are a lot of difficulties in doing this.
We might be better off doing a mod similar to what I did for my car.
This deserves a conversation.
Reach out to me if you wish to discuss.
George Borrelli
Crystal River Florida
Text or voice
Contact: Seven (the number after six) One 9 - 244- Seben one two four.

I haven't noticed much difference between my 2016 and 2022 seats other than the nice cooling feature on the 2022 seats, but that's just me. I'd rate the 2016 seats a tiny bit more comfortable to me, but likely due to years of sitting in that car. Perhaps I have a memory butt!

Be aware there is an airbag in the upper side of the seat. If you put a seat cover over the upper portion of the seat, you'll likely prevent the airbag from working. It's also unclear if the airbag design has changed (electrical or mechanical), so another worry if changing out the seats between different types. Still, no one wants to be uncomfortable. You might try different seat pads that are on top of the bottom cushion. Good luck!

I agree with you about the newer seats being uncomfortable. I went from a 15 P85D with the Next Gen seats to an 18 P100D and I am constantly adjusting myself trying to get comfortable. However, I don't road trip this car since I have to pay for outlandish supercharging fees now. 😂

• Funny
Reactions: tm1v2
The Newer Tesla Model S seats are in the same frame as all the model 3 / Y.
I have that frame in my shop.
I've rebuilt the seats to resolve my back, bottom, hips, legs, head, neck issues.
I could not sit in the stock new seats long at all. The new design involves completely replacing the foam, straitening the head rest, etc.
I tried many, many different fixes. Finally I have one that works for me. It adds genuine suspension to the seat and comfort over longer drives, especially for a bigger / wider body frame. And relevant to us who have some back concerns.
But first your question.
Can you put the older Model S seat into a newer Model S? Yes, but it's difficult to do. They are very different. The hooks don't hook up well etc.
The seat pan / base / metal is different, starting about 2017. I assume you had the pre-refreshed 20`6, with the older flatter, wider seat design.
I have a set of the older seat cushions. I could try harder to mount them into the newer frame.
But there are a lot of difficulties in doing this.
We might be better off doing a mod similar to what I did for my car.
This deserves a conversation.
Reach out to me if you wish to discuss.
George Borrelli
Crystal River Florida
Text or voice
Contact: Seven (the number after six) One 9 - 244- Seben one two four.
Yes, my previous Model S was delivered in Dec 2016 with the Next Gen seats (Gen 3).. They were built by Recaro.. Those are the ones I am looking to put in my 2019 P100D.. That car currently has the Gen 4 Premium ventilated seats.. I am going to look into whether those can be swapped. I felt the Recaro based design was a bit firmed in the bottom cushion and not as tight in the leg bolsters.. To be honest, I never really thought much about the comfort of those seats until I got this newer P100D.. Now, all I can think about is how uncomfortable I am and how I wish I had my old seats back..
As some of the other posters recommended, I am going to check the parts catalog to see if I can see if the parts (connectors, frame, etc..) are different between the two versions (Gen 3 and Gen 4)..
George, I will give you a ring to talk it through as well. Appreciate your willingess to help out.

Also consider going to a 2022 seat, as it was redesigned again after the 100D (I never tried that edition). Don't know if it is compatible or not, but worth considering, although you should try it first to see if you like it. It should be available from Tesla as a new seat, although a used 2016 might fit the bill.

I haven't noticed much difference between my 2016 and 2022 seats other than the nice cooling feature on the 2022 seats, but that's just me. I'd rate the 2016 seats a tiny bit more comfortable to me, but likely due to years of sitting in that car. Perhaps I have a memory butt!

Be aware there is an airbag in the upper side of the seat. If you put a seat cover over the upper portion of the seat, you'll likely prevent the airbag from working. It's also unclear if the airbag design has changed (electrical or mechanical), so another worry if changing out the seats between different types. Still, no one wants to be uncomfortable. You might try different seat pads that are on top of the bottom cushion. Good luck!
Yes, I recently totaled my 2016 Model S so, unfortunately, saw the airbags come out of the seats :(. Never knew the airbags were embedded in the seat bolsters. Happy to report the Tesla held up well in a side crash. Aside from a concussion, I walked away unharmed getting hit at 65mph on my passenger side door.

Yikes - I never want to be a test case. Glad you came out of it ok. Having side airbags in the seats has become a bit more common now in other makes too, as it aligns the bag with the seat position for maximum protection. In older designs that other manufacturers use, mounting the airbag to the frame might be in the wrong position for some owners depending on where the seat is positioned.