Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model S Raven Suspension Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my Model S Raven on 6/28/19. Along with a dent in the hood, a bumper panel was not attached, a door panel that was not attached, and some of the rear seat panels were not attached – all in all, it seemed like a rush job before the end of the quarter for Tesla.

I should’ve returned it, but I didn’t. Thankfully, though, Tesla fixed all of the above issues.

Anyway, within a few weeks, a squeaky noise started coming from the front end of the car, and the San Rafael Service Center fixed it by replacing the sway bars.

And now, my Raven S has the same rumbling/rattling suspension noises at low speeds that my 2018 Model S had..

I am wondering if any other Raven S owners are experiencing similar rumbling/rattling sounds at low speeds from the front end of the car?

• Informative
Reactions: Dragetreneren
I have noticed a sound developing recently that I can only describe as mildly reminiscent of a clapped out taxicab suspension on bumps while driving slowly. A hollow knocking sound like the shocks are bottoming out. The ride and handling is fine, but the noise is new.

• Informative
I have noticed a sound developing recently that I can only describe as mildly reminiscent of a clapped out taxicab suspension on bumps while driving slowly. A hollow knocking sound like the shocks are bottoming out. The ride and handling is fine, but the noise is new.

it sounds like your 2019 Raven Model S has the same infamous dreaded low speed rumble/rattle that my 2019 Raven does. Amazing that Tesla says the Raven has an entirely new and different suspension, but the noise is the same as the 2018 (and earlier) models. I’ll be curious to know if other people have this same noise developing on their Ravens?

Reactions: jdw
I took delivery in September and all is good with the exception of a draft in the drive side window right next to the b pillar

Tesla should be able to fix your window draft easily. And thanks for letting me know that your car doesn't have a suspension rumble/ rattle. It seems that way fewer people experience suspension noises in their Ravens than owners of 2018 and earlier Model S cars.

In any case, I'm looking forward to hearing about any/all suspension noises in 2019 Model S Ravens.

I have a rumble-rattle coming from the front suspension on the Raven when driving on rough pavement, I took delivery of the vehicle in June. The sound has always been there, but I chose to wait before asking service to check it out for a couple reasons; One, in case I had other issues and all could be handled at once and two, so it would not be the first time they had encountered this complaint (new suspension version).

I never had any other issues, so I just recently scheduled a service appointment. Hopefully there is a service bulletin on the issue and they know immediately what the fix is, rather than a bunch of poking around and "let's try this".

I will report back after service takes a look.

I have a rumble-rattle coming from the front suspension on the Raven when driving on rough pavement, I took delivery of the vehicle in June. The sound has always been there, but I chose to wait before asking service to check it out for a couple reasons; One, in case I had other issues and all could be handled at once and two, so it would not be the first time they had encountered this complaint (new suspension version).

I never had any other issues, so I just recently scheduled a service appointment. Hopefully there is a service bulletin on the issue and they know immediately what the fix is, rather than a bunch of poking around and "let's try this".

Thank you for your willingness to let me know how it goes with the service center. While Tesla was mostly willing to replace struts in the Model S cars released in 2018 and earlier, they seem to be more reluctant to deal with the rattle/rumble issue (and interior creaks and squeaks) in the 2019 Raven Model S release. It’s hard to imagine how the manufacturer of the Model S, costing upwards of $100,000, can be OK with it sounding more like a Model T!

Our Raven has/had a lot of issues too, but then again, all our previous Teslas required some work before they were ok. But I agree, this shouldn't be happening on a 100k car.

• Wind noise from the driver window when driving over 120 kph. This has been reduced by adjusting the window itself but it still makes more noise than our 2015 and 2017 Model S.
  • When the road is wet, I can hear the water splashing/rushing more obviously. It sounds like some insulation is missing.
  • Some kind of rattle coming from B-pillar on the driver side. The service center mentioned it was coming from the seat belt mechanism and they insulated it more but it doesn't make much of a difference. Our 2015 and 2017 didn't have those issues.
  • When I take a steep speed bump slowly, there is a lot of noise coming from under the car. It sounds like the suspension is scraping/scrubbing against something.
  • There is some ticking noise coming from the dash. Somewhere around the center screen or ventilation. It's very annoying when you try NOT to hear it.
  • When driving on some uneven roads, I sometimes hear "hollow" sounds coming from the back. It sounds like something is bumping against something hollow. It reminds me of the sound my 2015 made before they replaced the suspension in the back. Since it's a Raven, it should be something else.
  • The chrome window strip on the passenger side is not fixed in the door. Mobile service will replace it once the part is in stock.
Don't get me wrong, the Raven drives way smoother than our previous S but it makes a lot of weird noises. I'm kindof fed up with going to the service center over and over again to fix stuff. The car reminds me of IKEA furniture where you need to tighten some screws every month or so. Most issues I have weren't there when I took delivery of the car a few months ago.

Our Raven has/had a lot of issues too, but then again, all our previous Teslas required some work before they were ok. But I agree, this shouldn't be happening on a 100k car.

• Wind noise from the driver window when driving over 120 kph. This has been reduced by adjusting the window itself but it still makes more noise than our 2015 and 2017 Model S.
  • When the road is wet, I can hear the water splashing/rushing more obviously. It sounds like some insulation is missing.
  • Some kind of rattle coming from B-pillar on the driver side. The service center mentioned it was coming from the seat belt mechanism and they insulated it more but it doesn't make much of a difference. Our 2015 and 2017 didn't have those issues.
  • When I take a steep speed bump slowly, there is a lot of noise coming from under the car. It sounds like the suspension is scraping/scrubbing against something.
  • There is some ticking noise coming from the dash. Somewhere around the center screen or ventilation. It's very annoying when you try NOT to hear it.
  • When driving on some uneven roads, I sometimes hear "hollow" sounds coming from the back. It sounds like something is bumping against something hollow. It reminds me of the sound my 2015 made before they replaced the suspension in the back. Since it's a Raven, it should be something else.
  • The chrome window strip on the passenger side is not fixed in the door. Mobile service will replace it once the part is in stock.
Don't get me wrong, the Raven drives way smoother than our previous S but it makes a lot of weird noises. I'm kindof fed up with going to the service center over and over again to fix stuff. The car reminds me of IKEA furniture where you need to tighten some screws every month or so. Most issues I have weren't there when I took delivery of the car a few months ago.

Thanks for detailing all of the issues with your car. It is truly unfortunate the shoddy workmanship has become the norm for Tesla, and Tesla has made it harder to get most of the stuff fixed.

Update:

Test drove with a tech, he immediately heard the noise, and isolated it to the front left. He and the counter-guy believed it was a sway-bar link, which they had in stock! About an hour later he came out to advise it was actually the strut, which they did not have in stock. I rescheduled for yesterday, got the car back with the newly replaced front left strut this AM and all is good again.

The Highland Park IL SC is VERY busy, they service all of Wisconsin which does not allow direct vehicle sales. I mention this because in spite of them being so busy, they had never encountered this problem on a Raven. In fact they had to learn a new procedure to bleed/reset the air suspension after the part swap.

The noise was VERY noticeable, it reminded me of the noise I have encountered on other vehicles from a bad sway bar link (just as the tech heard as well). There is still a faint rumble that comes from the front suspension on rough pavement which they said is normal.

Update:

Test drove with a tech, he immediately heard the noise, and isolated it to the front left. He and the counter-guy believed it was a sway-bar link, which they had in stock! About an hour later he came out to advise it was actually the strut, which they did not have in stock. I rescheduled for yesterday, got the car back with the newly replaced front left strut this AM and all is good again.

The Highland Park IL SC is VERY busy, they service all of Wisconsin which does not allow direct vehicle sales. I mention this because in spite of them being so busy, they had never encountered this problem on a Raven. In fact they had to learn a new procedure to bleed/reset the air suspension after the part swap.

The noise was VERY noticeable, it reminded me of the noise I have encountered on other vehicles from a bad sway bar link (just as the tech heard as well). There is still a faint rumble that comes from the front suspension on rough pavement which they said is normal.

Raven is relatively new suspension system. No wonder the SC was not familiar with this problem.

Must be high priority now since Tesla develops this new system in-house and hopefully kan relatively fast resolve it. Anything else would not make sense.

P.S. It is not audible from the saloon in Model X Raven, but I have not attached any sensors so cannot really tell if it's a common concern or not.

Update:

That’s wonderful news! I would love to be able to show your Repair Order to my service center, so I’m wondering if you might be willing to upload or send your RO (after redacting your personal information, of course)?

Curious about the actual symptom?
My 2017 with 1200 miles has a light clunk from passenger side (USA car) front that sounds like it’s right around or a head of the glove box area. I can reproduce it 100% of time when I depress the accelerator lightly/about 1/4 inch..release..press again..release...press again. Knocks each time you tap the accelerator.

also can reproduce by turning right up into my drivewway. 100% of time. And there is a short cobblestone road where if I make a tight left circle it rattles in same place like crazy.

Is that similar To what others in this thread have experienced?

just a thought on ticking, I had ticking noise in my car, sounded like you take two metal house keys and keep hitting one to the other.I thought it was the dashboard, then somewhere around seat belt, etc etc...Finally figured it out that it was the driver's seat. Seems like it was rivets on the bottom of the seat. Later turned out that my seat also had other safety issues, so they replaced the whole seat.

I also had something similar to your other sound, but maybe wasn't hollow, can't remember now. Either way, it was the rear seat backrest bumping against the axle which it rotates up and down around. I shook the seat, and never heard it again.

Speaking about the low-level front end rattle that seems to be an issue with Ravens however has appeared on previous air-suspensions variants: I’ve heard that putting some foam around a shaft that connects the wheel to the car helps alleviate this. There was a post on this forum however I can’t seem to find it now. After looking on my Raven Model S, I can’t seem to find it myself.
Anyone have any insight on what I’m talking about and if they’ve seen success with this?

I've had the air modules replaced on the front end - it was a little better for a short time, but the noise came back. I now realise there are two noises going on - one is somewhat normal suspension noise, the second is closer to a rattle or something hitting on something else. I first suspected sway bar links as the rattle kind of sounds like that, but eliminated them as a suspect.

I noticed that the noise was worse when it was colder outside and that it didn't happen going slowly over speed bumps, but did happen on uneven payment. The dime finally dropped when I had the frunk out ... there are plastic covers over the shock tower mounts and they are not well fastened down.

I took some Dynamat and Quiet Tape to these plastic covers, covering the underside and the tops, making sure nothing made a noise when moved or hit.

Success! And although the air springs produce a little more noise than I would like, at least it is a somewhat normal suspension noise and not a sound like the sway bar links are shot.

You only have to remove the top center and side plastic panels to see the plastic covers on the shock towers - I don't have a picture handy, but I think it will be pretty obvious once you see how this part flaps around. I may yet try wrapping the air spring cylinder itself with Dynamat, but for now, I'm much happier.

Last edited: