Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model S Raven Suspension Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the air modules replaced on the front end - it was a little better for a short time, but the noise came back. I now realise there are two noises going on - one is somewhat normal suspension noise, the second is closer to a rattle or something hitting on something else. I first suspected sway bar links as the rattle kind of sounds like that, but eliminated them as a suspect.

I noticed that the noise was worse when it was colder outside and that it didn't happen going slowly over speed bumps, but did happen on uneven payment. The dime finally dropped when I had the frunk out ... there are plastic covers over the shock tower mounts and they are not well fastened down.

I took some Dynamat and Quiet Tape to these plastic covers, covering the underside and the tops, making sure nothing made a noise when moved or hit.

Success! And although the air springs produce a little more noise than I would like, at least it is a somewhat normal suspension noise and not a sound like the sway bar links are shot.

You only have to remove the top center and side plastic panels to see the plastic covers on the shock towers - I don't have a picture handy, but I think it will be pretty obvious once you see how this part flaps around. I may yet try wrapping the air spring cylinder itself with Dynamat, but for now, I'm much happier.

Do you think you can post some pictures to clarify as I may be having the same issue.

To be more clear, I still have the noisy air springs ... what I fixed with the quiet tape was an additional noise, which was more of a clacking sound, than the bobbling sound the suspension (still) makes. I may take another run at the SC as the suspension noise completely takes the joy out of driving.

I've attached a pic of the shock tower cover which is not really fastened down. Just covering all the areas it hit, top and bottom, got rid of one of the noises. When you get access, you will see that it is relatively free to move - I didn't want to mess with its mobility, just quiet it down.

Frunk.jpg

To be more clear, I still have the noisy air springs ... what I fixed with the quiet tape was an additional noise, which was more of a clacking sound, than the bobbling sound the suspension (still) makes. I may take another run at the SC as the suspension noise completely takes the joy out of driving.

I've attached a pic of the shock tower cover which is not really fastened down. Just covering all the areas it hit, top and bottom, got rid of one of the noises. When you get access, you will see that it is relatively free to move - I didn't want to mess with its mobility, just quiet it down.

View attachment 636830

This is the noise I have:

Can you be clear if what has bee resolved or is still left is represented in the video?

• Disagree
Reactions: Dragetreneren
I had seen that video before and brought up the issue ... the SC claims the sway bar links are fine, but the sound and symptoms in the video are similar to what I hear. In particular, there is no sound on symetrical bumps but it appears on rougher uneven road at speeds under 40km/hr. Changing the suspension height and response as well as temperature also changes the intensity and sound of the noise a little.

I think I'll just get them to change the links even if they want to charge me as at least it would narrow things down.

I had seen that video before and brought up the issue ... the SC claims the sway bar links are fine, but the sound and symptoms in the video are similar to what I hear. In particular, there is no sound on symetrical bumps but it appears on rougher road under 40km/hr. Changing the suspension height and response as well as temperature also changes the intensity of the noise a little.

I think I'll just get them to change the links even if they want to charge me as at least it would narrow things down.

So, the remaining issue, is the one in the video?