Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model S Standard Range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new to this site, but have been considering making the leap from my Lexus LS600hL to a new Tesla Model S. I had the chance to test drive a Model S and a Model 3 last weekend in Kansas City, and my wife ended up ordering a new Model 3 dual motor/awd (which should be available in 2-4 weeks if our order status is to be believed).

Anyway, the Kansas City Tesla dealer has a brand new 2019 Model S Standard Range model they are trying to sell (and it's been sitting on their lot since last summer, I'm told). The price right now is showing $77,940, but that includes FSD, which I'm told can be removed to save $7,500. So the price would be just over $70k for this vehicle (I'm not interested in FSD right now). I know this version was only produced for a very short time... This one slipped through the cracks.

Is this a good deal? I know this car gives up around 100 miles of range (285 vs 390), and "range is king" in electric cars, but I honestly would never really need the additional range as I would really never use the car for a road trip. The car is finished in Midnight Silver Metallic with black and white interior (not my favorite interior color, but my preferred exterior color). To buy a new 2020 Long Range + model would cost around $12k more than this... So I'm a little bit tempted.

So my questions:
1. What else would I be giving up going with a new 2019 Standard Range vs a new Long Range + (besides range);
2. Do these cars ever drop in price if they don't sell for a long time (as in this case). I'm sure most people are willing to simply pay the extra $12k for the latest model, so the price isn't low enough to entice anyone just yet. If the price dropped another $5-10k, I could see this being a pretty sweet deal for my situation. I'm sure there's no negotiating to be done, but how common are price drops on these inventory cars that don't sell?

Thanks! Rick

Around July 2019, Tesla dropped the Standard Range (75 kWh battery) rated at 287 miles. The base price at the time was $75 K, so from your description it has been marked down about $5 K (maybe $8 K if you factor in paint / interior choices?).

Other than the range, you would also not get Raven features that include replacing front induction motor with the Model 3's permanent magnet motor, plus the new adaptive damping air suspension improvements.

Tesla does drop the price if they do not sell, but they usually move pretty quickly.

Last edited:
SoCal Buzz, From my research, I thought the 2019 Model S Standard Range had a 100 kWh battery, not 75. I also believe it had the full Raven air ride suspension. I'm not sure about the front induction motor on the front though.

I'm pretty sure this car is virtually identical to 2019 Long Range Plus model with the exception of the smaller battery size. Anyone else know the answer to this one? Thanks! Rick

In January, I bought a 2019 SR Raven model for 72k with red exterior paint and 21” Sonic Grey Turbines. The car was discounted because it was used as as test drive model had 1k miles on it. Like the OP, I didn’t need the extra range and much rather would have 10k in my pocket. My only regret was not jumping on this last year when there was a federal rebate available.

It’s got the new suspension, just not the newer battery specs. If has AP 3 hardware and MCU 2.

The chance to get a brand new Model S for 70k is a great opportunity. 3 years ago, I spent 72k on my first 2015 Model S with 13k miles, so you can see how more affordable they have become. Check the mileage and make sure the tires are not used as mine had some wear on them.

Last edited:
SoCal Buzz, From my research, I thought the 2019 Model S Standard Range had a 100 kWh battery, not 75. I also believe it had the full Raven air ride suspension. I'm not sure about the front induction motor on the front though.

I'm pretty sure this car is virtually identical to 2019 Long Range Plus model with the exception of the smaller battery size. Anyone else know the answer to this one? Thanks! Rick

If rated range is ~285 then it’s definitely not fully accessible 100 kWh battery (I think software limited vs. smaller physical battery?). The Standard range was discontinued and then came back briefly in 2019, so I would check the actual mfg date and then research Raven features to confirm what you are getting with that car. In addition to new front motor and adaptive air suspension, the other main feature is 200 kW charging at v3 Superchargers.

Lots of great advice here!

So the questions I should ask the Tesla Advisor I'm working with would be:
1. Does this car have the upgraded Raven air ride suspension?
2. Does the car have the MCU2 and AP3?
3. Does the car have the revised front motor?
4. When was the car manufactured?
5. Does the car have 200 kW charging at v3 Superchargers?

I do know the car has only 169 miles. It was mainly used as the display model on the showroom floor, and didn't get much actual test driving time.

So is the consensus that if all the questions I listed above come back affirmative, that this car does make a compelling value when compared to a new Long Range Plus?

The dealer told me the car is currently discounted $4,000 from original price, and that it hasn't had a price drop in quite a while. He said in his experience, the next price drop won't be dramatic, since the car does have so few miles - maybe another $1,000?

As far as options, the car has the 19" Sonic Carbon Slipstream Wheels and Black and White interior. The current price is $77,940 - $7000 (remove FSD) + $1200 destination charge = $72,140 total. An identically configured 2020 LR+ model would be $84,490, so the price difference is $12,350.

Would I end up taking a huge hit in depreciation on this car compared to the 2020 LR+ if I were to trade it in 3-4 years from now? That could negate the up-front savings if so...

Thoughts? Thanks!!!

I do know the car has only 169 miles. It was mainly used as the display model on the showroom floor, and didn't get much actual test driving time.

So is the consensus that if all the questions I listed above come back affirmative, that this car does make a compelling value when compared to a new Long Range Plus?

The dealer told me the car is currently discounted $4,000 from original price, and that it hasn't had a price drop in quite a while. He said in his experience, the next price drop won't be dramatic, since the car does have so few miles - maybe another $1,000?

As far as options, the car has the 19" Sonic Carbon Slipstream Wheels and Black and White interior. The current price is $77,940 - $7000 (remove FSD) + $1200 destination charge = $72,140 total. An identically configured 2020 LR+ model would be $84,490, so the price difference is $12,350.

Would I end up taking a huge hit in depreciation on this car compared to the 2020 LR+ if I were to trade it in 3-4 years from now? That could negate the up-front savings if so...

Thoughts? Thanks!!!

All SR have the raven suspension to my knowledge, but it cannot hurt to ask.

Your car will definitely have MCU2, just not sure about whether the AP will be 2.5 or 3. You can get it upgraded to 3 if you purchase FSD, so that's just a logistical concern.

Your car won't have the 200 kW charging since it's the older battery specs to my knowledge.

I think you should go for this car ASAP if you can afford it and don't want the extra range. This is what I did. I jumped on mine after I convinced myself I wanted the Multicoat Red color :) (I originally wanted White and Black was my next choice).

Might be in the minority but I still think you should get the LR+. The standard range is a 75kw battery. You can find discounted inventory cars at the end of the quarter so wait a few weeks and be in contact with a Tesla OA. And hw3 wouldn't matter if your not wanting to get the fsd package.

Might be in the minority but I still think you should get the LR+. The standard range is a 75kw battery. You can find discounted inventory cars at the end of the quarter so wait a few weeks and be in contact with a Tesla OA. And hw3 wouldn't matter if your not wanting to get the fsd package.

This is a personal preference like color. I've had a 85d and now a SR for the past 3 years and I've NEVER had the need for more range. Now, I've only taken one road trip to date as we typically fly places, but my living habits don't require longer range, so why pay 10-12k more for it? There's no right or wrong choice here. It comes down to your lifestyle and which one makes sense from a financial and practically perspective.

Thoughts? Thanks!!!

Selling any car in 3-4 years, especially one this expensive, will involve a huge hit from depreciation. Buy a car you are comfortable sticking with for awhile. On a related note, if this Standard Range does have a software-limited 100 kWh battery, is it possible to unlock and upgrade in the future? That would help if you do want to sell.

Finally, $4K is an "okay" discount but not great. I got a new 100D with $9K discount because it had been sitting for months. But the fact you can get it now for $12K less than Long Range is decent, if it has the other Raven features you want.

Our 2019 S Standard Range is definitely a 75 kWh battery and is AP 3 because it can show FSD visualizations -- my friend's Model 3 with AP 2.5 cannot.

SmartSelect_20200304-123525_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200219-102245_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SoCal Buzz and Tam
I did mention a concern I would have over resale value of the 2019 SR model vs a 2020 LR+, mostly just so I can evaluate whether I'd be better or worse off with the SR model. I could afford to do the LR+ model, but it may be more range than I'd ever use, so maybe not worth the extra $13k...

If I'd get hit extra hard on depreciation with the SR model, that might steer me a bit more towards the LR+. I do know myself pretty well, and I see lots of changes and enhancements on the horizon for eVs, and that's why I estimated a 3-4 year ownership period.

Who knows? With the over-the-air updates and high quality of the Model S, perhaps I'd be perfectly content to keep it 10 years, in which case depreciation would be less of a concern... I do know this car would be unlike any other car I've ever owned, and I've owned like 70 cars in my life...

I did mention a concern I would have over resale value of the 2019 SR model vs a 2020 LR+, mostly just so I can evaluate whether I'd be better or worse off with the SR model. I could afford to do the LR+ model, but it may be more range than I'd ever use, so maybe not worth the extra $13k...

If I'd get hit extra hard on depreciation with the SR model, that might steer me a bit more towards the LR+. I do know myself pretty well, and I see lots of changes and enhancements on the horizon for eVs, and that's why I estimated a 3-4 year ownership period.

Who knows? With the over-the-air updates and high quality of the Model S, perhaps I'd be perfectly content to keep it 10 years, in which case depreciation would be less of a concern... I do know this car would be unlike any other car I've ever owned, and I've owned like 70 cars in my life...

I love our SR but after six months there is a buzzing/rattle inside the driver's side door or B-pillar, and a rattle behind the dash. The two are not constantly there and come-and-go during rough patches of road. The dashboard rattle actually began at month four. I am waiting a little bit longer before bringing it in because I am starting to hear the early signs of shudder again during hard acceleration and may need the front half-shafts replaced again (this time with the new Clevis mount TSB). It comes with the territory. I am not discouraging you to get another Tesla, I simply found the "high quality" statement amusing. I would love another Tesla too so I totally embrace some of the imperfections. :)

Note-to-self: I shouldn't wait too long to report the rattles because I read the service centers are starting to charge to investigate "noises" after 12-months, even though you're still under warranty.

I love our SR but after six months there is a buzzing/rattle inside the driver's side door or B-pillar, and a rattle behind the dash. The two are not constantly there and come-and-go during rough patches of road. The dashboard rattle actually began at month four. I am waiting a little bit longer before bringing it in because I am starting to hear the early signs of shudder again during hard acceleration and may need the front half-shafts replaced again (this time with the new Clevis mount TSB). It comes with the territory. I am not discouraging you to get another Tesla, I simply found the "high quality" statement amusing. I would love another Tesla too so I totally embrace some of the imperfections. :)

Note-to-self: I shouldn't wait too long to report the rattles because I read the service centers are starting to charge to investigate "noises" after 12-months, even though you're still under warranty.

AYCE, I guess I've been a bit spoiled by my Lexus LS600hL, which has required zero repairs over the past 2 years of ownership, and has zero rattles (it's tomblike even driving at 80 mph on the interstate). I know I'll be giving up some of the cushiness to switch to a Model S, and I do know there are some issues that I may have to deal with on a Tesla that I haven't encountered with Lexus. The Tech is so amazing though, I do see how it can be worth it, and I can understand why Tesla owners are so fiercely loyal despite some occasional hiccups.

I'm still pondering what to do next for me. I may just wait until after my wife's M3 arrives so I can spend more time in that car before giving up my Lexus. My wife would honestly prefer a Model Y, but we didn't see much chance of getting one of those when we needed it. One option I'll have is to go ahead and order a Model Y for my wife, and when it eventually comes, I could take over her Model 3.

Decisions, decisions...

All,
Read this thread and have a couple of questions about the 2019 MS Standard Range. Does this model have the adaptive air suspension? Is it considered a Raven? Looking at this model and the last five of the vin number is X32223. Cab anybody tell if this vin number meets the adaptive air suspension requirement? Thanks in advance for any and responses.