Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 model S ???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 15' P90DL model S and my wife has a 16' P90DL model X. The lease is up on my S in Jan 2019. In chatting with local dealers, they have said. Wait till lease is up, and don't upgrade to P100DL right now. They expect to see refresh to interior and maybe exterior for 2019.

What have you guys heard?

• Funny
Reactions: Akikiki
With Model 3 interior putting Model S to shame as well as having more advanced and newer technology (just look at what's available in the software compared to S, it's staggering), plus the Roadster coming in 2020 with a radical new interior and exterior look, Tesla HAS to do something in the next 12 months.

In my opinion, it's a high enough likelihood that I would not be plunking down money for an S or an X right now. Just my take.

Keep in mind that low level Tesla employees have no clue what's coming, or when.

As someone who lives in a state where the auto dealer cartel prevents Tesla from selling its cars in its stores, I can assure you it’s more than semantics.

One if the best things about Tesla is you buy the car directly from Tesla, without going through a dealership.

It is semantics because you knew exactly what he meant and your argument makes literally no material difference to his statement.

With Model 3 interior putting Model S to shame as well as having more advanced and newer technology (just look at what's available in the software compared to S, it's staggering), plus the Roadster coming in 2020 with a radical new interior and exterior look, Tesla HAS to do something in the next 12 months.

In my opinion, it's a high enough likelihood that I would not be plunking down money for an S or an X right now. Just my take.

Keep in mind that low level Tesla employees have no clue what's coming, or when.
I'm not sure how the Model 3 interior 'puts the Model S to shame'. Is that by omitting a 2nd display in front of the driver? I honestly can't get excited about coat hooks. The S's interior looks and is more luxurious.

I'm not sure how the Model 3 interior 'puts the Model S to shame'. Is that by omitting a 2nd display in front of the driver? I honestly can't get excited about coat hooks. The S's interior looks and is more luxurious.
Having finally spent some quality time sitting in a Model 3 at the Walnut Creek, CA Tesla store, it doesn't put the MS to shame, but it does show the maturation of the design language and capabilities. So I can't wait to see what they do with the refreshed MS. Unfortunately I'm SOL because my MS is arriving in a few weeks. It will be a long wait if the refresh emerges right after I take delivery....First world problems, right?

Having finally spent some quality time sitting in a Model 3 at the Walnut Creek, CA Tesla store, it doesn't put the MS to shame, but it does show the maturation of the design language and capabilities. So I can't wait to see what they do with the refreshed MS. Unfortunately I'm SOL because my MS is arriving in a few weeks. It will be a long wait if the refresh emerges right after I take delivery....First world problems, right?

I spent 20 mins sitting in the Santa Row Model 3 during a weekday and I still prefer the design language of the Model S. The flow of lines and materials used is much more premium and up scaled compare to the minimalist utilitarian design of the 3. I have high hopes for the next S refresh.

The euro luxury sport sedans all offer basic amenities at the price point of the model S. The model S is much better at so many other things but would still be nice to have things like a top end stereo system, massage seats, MUCH more storage pockets, etc.

Even without any of these upgrades, I would still get another top of line Model S over any other sedan.

So to sum it up, Tesla has done a good job in not letting any info out.

Reactions: ICUDoc
I have yet to see anything that would make me want to buy a new Model S over holding onto my 2015 S70D when my lease is up in September. But I agree that the Model S design is getting a bit long in the tooth (and probably the Model X design as well, at least the elements common to both).
If I had a say, the major goals for a refresh would be faster CPUs and adjustable seatbelt heights (as in Model 3) as well as better control of wind and road noise. Better audio would be desirable but not essential, as well as the minor interior enhancements from the X and 3 such as the door pockets and coat hooks. So, nothing that seems (to me) to alter the basic architecture or require big changes in major body parts.

• Informative
Reactions: pakman00
I'm not sure how the Model 3 interior 'puts the Model S to shame'.
The interior of the 3 puts the S to shame in the following ways:
  • more interior headroom
  • quicker and smoother UI
  • setup for transition to FSD
  • interior camera
  • lighted vanity mirrors
  • coat hooks
  • more storage in center console
  • more interior storage
  • better outside visibility
  • better interior air distribution
  • smartphone storage and charging
  • easier entry/exit through doors
  • AND FUTURISTIC interior as opposed to traditional old school (why don't they put physical buttons on smartphones anymore?)
Those are a couple of things off the top of my head.

I totally agree. Tesla will have to insert something more relevant in the Model S to encourage people to jump for the extra bucks now. Frankly, IMHO, the Model S and X needs to be the range / performance king in the Tesla line up to lure folks up over $70k. I am thinking we'll see a 110 coming up soon and hopefully 350+ which is equivalent to or superior than most ICE vehicles. Interior could still use upgrades but the recent Model S is getting quite nice.

The interior of the 3 puts the S to shame in the following ways:
  • more interior headroom
  • quicker and smoother UI
  • setup for transition to FSD
  • interior camera
  • lighted vanity mirrors
  • coat hooks
  • more storage in center console
  • more interior storage
  • better outside visibility
  • better interior air distribution
  • smartphone storage and charging
  • easier entry/exit through doors
  • AND FUTURISTIC interior as opposed to traditional old school (why don't they put physical buttons on smartphones anymore?)
Those are a couple of things off the top of my head.

Agree completely.

Now, that we have our M3 LR, I am torn between converting our second configuration invite into M3 LRD (when available) or updating our MS 85D before the tax credit runs out.

I like the smoothness and road-trip storage space of our S (although M3 is not bad in either regard). And the S offers large-car sense of added safety without losing completely the ability to carve canyons.

Nonetheless, I just can’t picture spending $110K on the existing 100D. Too many advantages for the 3 (those noted by T34ME above ... plus fifty thousand monetary ones). Too few advantages for the S.

Now, a modernized S, with upgraded panel electronics, space to plant more than one water bottle per person on a long trip ... and range significantly better than 3 LRD ... that would get our attention!

Range (and charging speed) are actually a surprisingly big deal for us, even though we don’t take super long trips. Going up to Mammoth in the winter, we get clobbered by the 7000-foot elevation gain and cold temps (single-digit up there today). In the summer, bikes on rear-hitch rack force us to burn 1.5 range miles per physical mile.

Our latest trip up there with the M3 was eye-opening. Fewer (and briefer) Supercharging stops shaved half an hour in each direction, even though the range increment from 85D to 3LR is not enormous.

400 rated miles would hit the sweet spot. So, updated 110D or 120D (one can dream) would be tempting ... especially if available before 9/30!