Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model X - Keep/Sell/Warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm at a crossroads with my 2019 (pre raven, 295 rated range) Model X. (38K miles on it)

It honestly has been fantastic (after getting the shudder fixed in the front end). No problems with it. But I'm coming up on 4 years in a few months. I'm debating whether to sell it or purchase an extended warranty. On the plus side, I do have unlimited supercharging.

The 2 year warranty is $3,500, and the 4 year is $6,350.

I'm torn. Part of me wants to just sell it, but to be honest, there's not much else on the market that I like now. Thinking about biting the bullet on the 4 year option since it's transferrable if I sell it in the future.

I'm concerned about big repair bills in my future as you can tell. Has anyone else purchased this? Do you think there's value in it?

My advice is to get the extended warranty, speaking from someone with a used 2017 X75D with no basic warranty left. 4 years looks good. I've already spent a pretty penny on our X75D in repairs. If you like the car then go for the warranty.

And oh yeah, we DON'T have unlimited supercharging, which is why I have the CCS1 adapter, which doesn't work yet as Tesla won't install the board it needs yet.

Normally, I don't like extended warranties, but for the Model X, get it!

Reactions: EbS-P and Jupiter2
I'm at a crossroads with my 2019 (pre raven, 295 rated range) Model X. (38K miles on it)

It honestly has been fantastic (after getting the shudder fixed in the front end). No problems with it. But I'm coming up on 4 years in a few months. I'm debating whether to sell it or purchase an extended warranty. On the plus side, I do have unlimited supercharging.

I'm torn. Part of me wants to just sell it, but to be honest, there's not much else on the market that I like now. Thinking about biting the bullet on the 4 year option since it's transferrable if I sell it in the future.

I'm concerned about big repair bills in my future as you can tell. Has anyone else purchased this? Do you think there's value in it?
I have a '17 X 100D with 59K miles. I debated on a Tesla ESA or the 3rd party one. Vendor - “X-Care EV Protection” - First 3rd Party Service Agreement for Model S, Model X and Model 3!

In the end, I decided statistically it would be cheaper to just pay to get the rare things fixed. Consider the math. I've bought 1 extended warranty in my life ('11 Volt) thinking it was so new to GM.

Hey if you think it is worth it and you obviously like the car the get it. If I'd gone that route, I'd probably bought the X-Care one. You can ask for a quote. As I recall they were X-Tesla folks.

I went with X-care. 8 year. It’s pre paid service and roadside assistance. It probably won’t pay off but I bet I don’t loose more than 3k$. And if something expensive goes I’ll get it fixed instead of selling the car.

X-care - Checked mine today and it was 4 yr / 75K miles for $8k. Whichever come first. That seems crazy.

Attachments

• Screenshot of EV Extended Warranty - xcelerateauto.com.jpg
    Screenshot of EV Extended Warranty - xcelerateauto.com.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 244
  • Informative
Reactions: gaswalla
i think extended warranty depends on how good you are with fixing things yourself, even the little issues...
i'm a DIYer n never in my life bought any warranty for any car
and honestly i don't think i've ever exceeded the quoted amount of extended warranties even if i let someone else fix my cars.
YMMV...

• Disagree
Reactions: Pied and NevG
I’m in a similar boat. ‘19 Raven Standard Range. Warranty will be up in September. Currently at 28,000 miles. I’m the second owner but my daughter was the original owner. So I know it’s history. My choices come September will be: (1) replace with another EV, (2) purchase X Care warranty, or (3) roll the dice.

We really like the car. Replacing it would likely be a step down because we can’t afford a new X. And just the sales tax on a new EV would probably pay for an extended warranty. The costs posted above for X Care are scary. I’m hoping mine would be less being newer with less miles. But who knows? Option 3 is always a possibility but a lot will depend on how the car performs over the next 9 months. Please share what you decide to do.

I have been thinking the same for the past 6 months. But nothing fits the gap for what I need when you consider selling the X. With that said I have 94k miles on a 2016 90D.

I got Xcare in Jan 2022. Since then it has more than paid for itself. AC compressor, battery heater, MCU2, front door handles/latches, driver side mirror w/ LTC cable, FWD sensors both sides with driver side multiple times, both half shafts, driver side control arm, and little trim or issues I can’t remember. Most covered by the warranty. I’ve calculated at least $10k in repairs. I’ve paid the $150 deductible for each repair.

If you can find a newer X or new X, I’d recommend that and if you want to keep the X then definitely get an extended warranty.

Good luck, as I said I think I am at where you are when assessing alternative vehicles apples/apples (size, performance, safety etc)

One more thing, if you sell it is possible to get some of your money back if you cancel the policy. It’s an equation of prorating it on the lofe of the policy and subtracting what they’ve paid out in cost. That is from Xcare and I believe other policies

I was about to start a new post about my 2019 Model X with 59,704 miles on it. It is about to go out of Warranty. I had a used vehicle warranty through Tesla which ends in November or just over 60,000 miles. I drive about 40 miles/day. I guess I missed the option of a Tesla extended warranty which I would have needed to Purchase before the original warranty expired in 2022. I have been debating about keeping a Tesla outside of Warranty. The three main issues I have had where an A/C problem, a noise issue which I think was a CV joint issue, and the main or high voltage battery failed and needed replacing. All these were completely covered, and for the battery issue which needed fixing twice they gave me a tesla loaner for about 6 weeks all together.

I love the car, and if I get another one i'll probably downgrade to a Y because I really can not justify the cost of a new X.

This thread mentions the x-clear xcelerate extended warranty. Has anyone had any further experience with it? Is one able to get a loaner if the repair is one that takes an extended time? Has anyone dealt with Telsa and a repair that takes extended time when the care is out of warranty? Does Telsa give loaners if it is an out of warranty repair?

Looking at this article about the Model X with 400,000 miles

The repairs seen fairly reasonably priced. I just wonder about a loaner if my car is out of action for weeks or months waiting for parts.

Thanks
I plan to ask some questions in that thread. I am very happy to find this option. I am not worried about financially coming out ahead. I am just worried about having a Tesla with only one option for repair being out of warranty. So far it seems like Xcare has had a lot of positive feedback.

Just for the fun of discussion my wife and I have been out looking at some of the other options for EV. We looked at the XI and the other BMW options as well as the Volvo and I do not see moving to either of them. We did see the new Mercedes EQE today, and it was a really nice car. I did not get a chance to try the self driving technology in it. I use my model X FSD every day on my commute.

But I really appreciate this forum because finding the option for extended insurance may well have saved my X. Even if it is just for piece of mind being under a good warranty is nice. Especially since this company seems to be doing a very good job.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: EarlyM3Owner
Thanks
I plan to ask some questions in that thread. I am very happy to find this option. I am not worried about financially coming out ahead. I am just worried about having a Tesla with only one option for repair being out of warranty. So far it seems like Xcare has had a lot of positive feedback.

Just for the fun of discussion my wife and I have been out looking at some of the other options for EV. We looked at the XI and the other BMW options as well as the Volvo and I do not see moving to either of them. We did see the new Mercedes EQE today, and it was a really nice car. I did not get a chance to try the self driving technology in it. I use my model X FSD every day on my commute.

But I really appreciate this forum because finding the option for extended insurance may well have saved my X. Even if it is just for piece of mind being under a good warranty is nice. Especially since this company seems to be doing a very good job.

Thanks

I am/was very skeptical about XC prior to buying. Had a few hiccups with them, but they worked directly with me and explained what was going on. Fast-forward, we have XC on our X and 3.

Reactions: m2s2